SiouxSports.com Forum

SBoHE votes to move ahead with nickname retirement

fightingsioux4life

However, for some reason, you seem to believe that lemmings headed over the cliff and ostriches with their heads buried in the sand are worthy of praise because of their willingness to self-immolate for blind loyalty and for their absolute refusal to deal with reality. I’m guessing that you’re also a great admirer of General George Armstrong Custer, who divided his force and led his troops to slaughter, despite warnings from his scouts about the imminent danger ahead. But, hey, it was all good because Custer stuck to his convictions to the bitter end, right?

There's no winners here, but I just keep reading page after page of people preaching on what the 'right way' to vote was on this issue. The nickname will be retired but everyone has to get their last shot in...It wasn't that long ago that we were all telling the NCAA to shove it up their a$$...Then they changed the rules and split the SIOUX fans into two groups, nickname only supporters vs UND D1 transition supporters...here's hoping that WE can all come together and support our teams AS WELL AS recognize and cherish the history that we enjoyed as Fighting Sioux!
  • Upvote 2

So, in other words, ScottM thinks that saying "I'll kill you" is the same thing as actually carrying out a murder? Alrighty then, par for the course. :lol:

Nah, I'd have to to tutor you in the finer points of criminal law as to when an utterance rises to the level of a crime. But then again, your idiotic comments make this board worth coming to in the off-season. Keep dancing Dave and there'll be nice a nickel in your tin cup ...

You're entitled to your opinion. You happen to be badly misinformed on many facts, but that doesn't change the fact that you're still entitled to your opinion. Carry on.

Dave, lets just take one FACT and you tell me how we have been misinformed on it. Here we go:

If UND keeps the name, one of the sanctions will not be able to host NCAA playoff games.

Now, if we don't get to host playoff games, there is a less than 1% chance that the football team will ever win a National Championship. You think that this won't hurt recruiting? Who would want to come to a school that had a slim to non chance to win a Championship because they can't host a playoff game?? So the result would be losing good players to other schools, ad we get the leftover players whos talent level is not even close to competitive schools.

Please ell me how I have been misinformed.

Well, NCAA sanctions, risk losing the Big Sky, the damage already out there in recruiting (per Dale Lennon), not to mention the "political football" aspects PCM brought up, the math says the moniker hit 'net negative' so it was time for it to go.

But that was all propaganda spread by lies, disinformation and a refusal to drink Al Carlson's special party punch. In fact the brain washing of the North Dakota voter was so complete the North Koreans are taking notes and will be starting a cultural exchange program between Bismarck and Pyongyang.

You're entitled to your opinion. You happen to be badly misinformed on many facts, but that doesn't change the fact that you're still entitled to your opinion. Carry on.

Good thing you saved all that money on not renewing your season tickets Dave, maybe you can use the funds to buy yourself a clue...

• Upvote 2

Guess what. I do too.

I look out for the University of North Dakota first, and above the rest.

PCM can vouch for me, but long ago I said (to him), "The minute the moniker becomes a net negative to UND it has to go."

Well, NCAA sanctions, risk losing the Big Sky, the damage already out there in recruiting (per Dale Lennon), not to mention the "political football" aspects PCM brought up, the math says the moniker hit 'net negative' so it was time for it to go.

Which occured 7 years ago and you kept going for the next 6 years though.

What the heck are we talking about now??? The military ranking of General Custer?? Seriously!! Watchmaker do you just like to argue about everything? You were not getting the point being made. The point was how Custer;s selfish desires and inabbility to see the disaster right in front of him led to his downfall. That is the anology. Wuit trying to pick thru a small detail and argue that instead of the basis of the argument.

Which occured 7 years ago and you kept going for the next 6 years though.

The math didn't go "net negative" until there was no doubt the NCAA wouldn't budge (and that the Big Sky was starting to make noise). Once that changed, so did I.

More amazing to me is that in all of this the only thing you could create a retort to is Custer's rank. Too much time out in the sun?

• Upvote 1

Demoted though after the Civil War and did not lead the 7th Calvary as a general.

Calvary or Cavalry?

If you're going to nitpick silly things, so can the rest of us.

More amazing to me is that in all of this the only thing you could create a retort to is Custer's rank. Too much time out in the sun?

You're not the only one amazed by that.

Don't worry. I fixed my post to satisfy the forum historians. :p;)

It is common mistake that 99.999% of people make. He is referred to as a General way more than as a Lt. Colonel. I would bet that you have heard him called General Custer way more often than Lt. Colonel Custer.

The math didn't go "net negative" until there was no doubt the NCAA wouldn't budge (and that the Big Sky was starting to make noise). Once that changed, so did I.

I do have a nice tan though. :) As if they ever were going to change their mind to start with. Try this out for size. Call Rick Berg's office and ask to talk to him and they will tell you he is busy. Then call Rick Berg's office and say you have a 100K donation to make and see how fast you get to talk to him. Simply put it is the power structure of who has the power and who does not. This could go for any politician.
  • Upvote 1

As if they ever were going to change their mind to start with.

We couldn't be sure until Al's Traveling Road Show got sent packing from Indianapolis.

How dare I say that?

• The NCAA created a namesake exemption that got some schools off the hook back in 2005. That's "give".
  • The state got three years to seek approval from two Sioux tribes without NCAA interference. That's "give".

Seems there was some "give" potential there ... until Al's Traveling Road Show proved there was no more "give" from the NCAA.

It is common mistake that 99.999% of people make. He is referred to as a General way more than as a Lt. Colonel. I would bet that you have heard him called General Custer way more often than Lt. Colonel Custer.

It's a mistake to say this as well: "Custer was not a general."

What's next? Are you going to tell my that Gen. George C. Patton (Archie Bunker reference) didn't exist and that the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor? :)

I'm trying to figure out on which page in this thread the horse died..

I was thinking a couple days ago it will be nice now that the issue has moreless been settled and the UND fans on all sides of the issue would get back to concentrating on the teams and start getting along again...and then the last 2 days have been as bad as any leading up to the vote.

We need football and hockey to get started in a big way.

I was thinking a couple days ago it will be nice now that the issue has moreless been settled and the UND fans on all sides of the issue would get back to concentrating on the teams and start getting along again...and then the last 2 days have been as bad as any leading up to the vote.

We need football and hockey to get started in a big way.

We still have that potential ballot measure that would enshrine the name and logo into the ND Constitution. If it gets on the ballot, we will have to take it seriously and not assume it will be defeated.

We still have that potential ballot measure that would enshrine the name and logo into the ND Constitution. If it gets on the ballot, we will have to take it seriously and not assume it will be defeated.

No way it even gets on the November ballot as a Constitutional amendment. Even if the measure would have been defeated by a small margin like 55-45, people are more hesitant to make a change to the constitution. But since it went down 67-33, what do supporters of putting it on the ballot for constitutional amendment think is going to happen? Are 18% or approximitely 30,000 people are just going to change their minds? Plus there are more people voting in the November elections. Is the percentage going to be drastically different? I think that the Constitutional amendment is dead if you ask me. If somehow it gets on the ballot, it will be defeated by at least the same margin.

After the ass-kicking the voters put on the initiative this month, it would be adding insult to injury to let it happen again, but as I've said many times nothing would surprise me anymore.