SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 NHL Stanley Cup playoffs

jimdahl

If I was a hockey coach I would ice the puck every chance I got because based on my viewing history, the team that spends the least amount of time in the offensive zone wins every time. If I was a GM, I would use 95% of my salary cap on goalies and sign guys off the street to skate because it's basically a goaltending exhibitiion anyway. Hats off to Mike Smith, who was utterly dominant. The Hawks missed Hossa, but he wouldn't have made any difference against Smith. No one would have.

He may or may not be an idiot, but there is no doubt in my mind that he's an a-hole.

Based on the team that you cheer for, I don’t know if you have any moral high ground to call anyone a A-hole. Your infamous team has had a collection of d-nozzle to grace the Penguins roster. Shall we name the conga line of miscreants that have played for the Penguins?

On the contrary, I have moral high ground BECAUSE of the team that I cheer for. Of the kind of players who could just as well trade in their hockey gloves for boxing gloves, the Pens have had fewer than most other teams going back as far as I can remember. That, sir, is a fact and not just my biased point of view.

You will never have the Moral High Ground as long as you cheer for a team that has Matt Cooke on it.

Zajac with the game winner in OT from Kovalchuk and Parise.

Pierre McGuire interviews Zajac right after game, ends it with "there are a lot of people in Grand Forks, North Dakota that are happy tonight" Zajac nods and smiles. Good stuff.

I love Pierre. For a Canadian he knows a lot about college hockey.

• Upvote 1

I shouldn't let Goon threadjack this thing into yet another Matt Cooke witchhunt. Steering the conversation back to where it was when he tried to veer it off course...

I don't recall any Penguin goalie ever taking his stick and chopping into the legs of an opponent the way a lumberjack swings an axe at a tree. Tim Thomas is a lowlife d-bag.

Seems you are usually the one hijacking threads. Just an observation.

• Upvote 1

I shouldn't let Goon threadjack this thing into yet another Matt Cooke witchhunt. Steering the conversation back to where it was when he tried to veer it off course...

I don't recall any Penguin goalie ever taking his stick and chopping into the legs of an opponent the way a lumberjack swings an axe at a tree. Tim Thomas is a lowlife d-bag.

Speaking of D-Nozzle's, I am pretty sure that Thomas isn't the first goalie to chop the back of someone's legs. Tom Barrasso used to be pretty loosey goosey with the stick when he played.

I just thought it was funny that Dale Hunter would complain about the Bruins.

Can't disagree, it's always a little disconcerting to see Hunter of all people complaining about cheap play. When they retired his number, they gifted him one of the penalty boxes from the old Capital Centre. :) But... he also hasn't been on the ice in over a decade, and it's a very different game and team from then.

The razor-close Phoenix-Chicago series sure diverged and anointed a definitive winner... let's see what happens with the (still closest in NHL history) WAS/BOS tomorrow!

• Upvote 1

I think Ron Hextall wins the goalie slashing competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3uZLkC-FJg

Hextall was the nastiest goalie ever. He'd smack guys on the legs skating by like he was chopping weeds with a sickle. Whether he was mad at them or not. You didn't see guys living in the crease like they do now when he was in goal, he'd punish them. And he would throw into a fight in a moments notice too, all of a sudden you'd see him flying towards the blue line after somebody...not a normal goalie move. I bet guys hated playing against him.

I just looked it up, he had over 100 penalty minutes in each of his first 3 seasons and was suspended for 6 or more games on 3 different occasions. Wow.

At least you're steering the "who's the bigger hack" talk to someone who's still alive in the playoffs...I guess that gives it relevance to this thread.

Not sure this is worth anything other than being an interesting observation. In the East, 3 of the 4 series are going to Game 7. The oddball series was PITT/PHI and even that went 6 games.

In the West, the series went:

LA over VAN 4-1

STL over SJ 4-1

PHO over CHI 4-2

NASH over DET 4-1

Not sure this is worth anything other than being an interesting observation. In the East, 3 of the 4 series are going to Game 7. The oddball series was PITT/PHI and even that went 6 games.

In the West, the series went:

LA over VAN 4-1

STL over SJ 4-1

PHO over CHI 4-2

NASH over DET 4-1

So if this continues the East will be all banged up and exhausted when someone finally reaches the finals, and whoever *cough*Oshie*cough* makes it from the West should be fresh and roll through to the championship.

That's what I get out of it. :D

He might? But certainly not hands down. Billy Smith would certainly give him a run for the money!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GgsZt65NPA

I went to a game at the Boston Garden one time between the Bruins and the Islanders and Billy Smith Carried his goalie stick like a Samurai Sword when he lead his team onto the ice. No one went near Billy Smith’s crease because they knew he was nuts. I think its funny how DaveK lectures us what is considered clean and not clean in today's game of hockey, when his team that he cheers for traditionally in the past has had on its teams some of the biggest hacks to every play the game of hockey (Ulfie, Cooke just to name a few).

The front of the goalie crease should be known as the kitchen (football language) and if you go dancing around the goal crease and act like a total ass you should get slashed or hit. Tim Thomas is far from being a d-bag and is a solid citizen in my opinion. DaveK and a few others don’t like him because he failed to kiss Obama’s ass and he spoke his mind, in other words he exercised his first amendment rights which are afforded to him under the constitution. God forbid we have free thinkers in today game of hockey.

If Thomas had done this to George W. Bush he would probably been hailed as a great mind.

Edited by Goon

DaveK and a few others don’t like him because he failed to kiss Obama’s ass and he spoke his mind

He failed to put his team before himself. And the President invited the Bruins to honor them, not to make them kiss his ass. he said a lot of nice things about Thomas in his speech. Too bad Thomas was too dumb to appreciate it.

And, nobody was trying to stop him expressing his idiotic opinion. So I don't know why you're talking about free thinkers and the bill of rights.

"failed to kiss obamas ass", that's a good one.