SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 NHL Stanley Cup playoffs

jimdahl

First time in my life I recall ever cheering FOR Philly -- with a Caps win and a Buffalo loss to Philly last night, the Caps officially snuck into the playoffs as an 8 seed (though winning the SE Division is still technically possible, which would push us up to #3).

I actually wouldn't mind a first round matchup against the Rangers (and would probably prefer it to a matchup vs. #6 New Jersey). Coincidentally, we'll get a sneak preview of that series -- the final game of the season on Saturday on NBC is Washington vs New York Rangers. It'll be interesting to see how the teams treat what is essentially a practice game for the upcoming series.

I think this is going to be as wide-open as any playoffs recently, I'm not sold on the Rangers at all and I think you could make a case for 5 teams in each conference.

Another year of dozing off on the couch trying to stay awake for west coast games.

Well, I (obviously) didn't expect this scenario... Boston in the first round, eh? I'm just a little less happy with that draw than I was with NY Rangers. Though Washington is clearly still the underdogs, Boston is also still beatable by the Caps -- unlike NJ Devils or Philly.

Looks like Goon and I are going to be exchanging words :D

They need to look at how they seed this. PIT and PHI and are getting hosed and NJD gets a big break.

I think the seeding should be by points (with division winners only guaranteed a spot in the eight teams, not the top three seeds).

I think it should be:

NYR, PIT, PHI, BOS, NJD, FLA, WAS, OTT.

and

VAN, STL, NAS, DET, CHI, PHX, SJS, LAK

They need to look at how they seed this. PIT and PHI and are getting hosed and NJD gets a big break.

I think the seeding should be by points (with division winners only guaranteed a spot in the eight teams, not the top three seeds).

I think it should be:

NYR, PIT, PHI, BOS, NJD, FLA, WAS, OTT.

and

VAN, STL, NAS, DET, CHI, PHX, SJS, LAK

Yep the best spots to finish are either 1st, 2nd, or 6th in both conferences

Well, I (obviously) didn't expect this scenario... Boston in the first round, eh? I'm just a little less happy with that draw than I was with NY Rangers. Though Washington is clearly still the underdogs, Boston is also still beatable by the Caps -- unlike NJ Devils or Philly.

Although the Caps had a down year compared to expectations, I still think I'd rather have the Bruins play Ottawa in the 1st round. The Caps could come alive at any moment and with the talent they have could be dangerous. That being said, I don't mind this at all.

Capitals call up Dany Sabourin

I'll take the Bruins in 5.

Why is the seeding set up so that if the top 4 seeds advance then #1 plays #2 and #3 plays #4 in the second round? Seems like it should be #1 plays #4 and #2 plays #3

Each round is re-seeded so the highest seeded team plays the lowest seeded team remaining.

Any predictions out there?

I'll start it off with Pittsburgh over St. Louis, even though I would rather Pittsburgh lost in the first round.

Sounds like Toews should be back for their first round series, also sounds like Kreider being on the playoff roster is 50/50.

Getting jacked up for some playoff hockey!

Any predictions out there?

I'll start it off with Pittsburgh over St. Louis, even though I would rather Pittsburgh lost in the first round.

Sounds like Toews should be back for their first round series, also sounds like Kreider being on the playoff roster is 50/50.

Getting jacked up for some playoff hockey!

I'll give it a shot. 1st Round winners:

East

#1 NYR over #8 OTT in 6

#2 BOS over #7 WASH in 5

#6 NJ over #3 FLA in 6

#4 PITT over #5 PHI in 7

West

#2 STL over #7 SJ in 6

#6 CHI over #3 PHO in 6

#4 NASH over #5 DET in 7

and my bold prediction - #8 LA over #1 VAN in 7

East

NYR over OTT in 5

BOS over WASH in 6

NJ over FLA in 6

PITT over PHI in 7 -should be one helluva series could go either way

West

VAN over LA in 6

CHI over PHO in 6 -assuming Toews plays

PHO over CHI in 7 -if Toews doesn't play

NASH over DET in 7

STL over SJ in 5

Philly comes back from 3-0 to beat Pittsburgh 4-3 in OT.

Philly got a break on their first goal when their guy was waaaay offsides on a breakaway and the ref was out of position, but the story of the game was Pittsburgh was just going thru the motions after getting the big lead early and Philly outhustled them badly the rest of the game.

Not a bad way for the playoffs to start.

Philly comes back from 3-0 to beat Pittsburgh 4-3 in OT.

Philly got a break on their first goal when their guy was waaaay offsides on a breakaway and the ref was out of position, but the story of the game was Pittsburgh was just going thru the motions after getting the big lead early and Philly outhustled them badly the rest of the game.

Not a bad way for the playoffs to start.

3 goal lead is the worse in hockey. Like you said the Pens relaxed and that is exactly what happens alot with that kind of lead.

Nashville holds off Detroit 3-2 in a wild finish, Weber from Nashville might be getting a love call from the league for slamming a Detroit guys head off the glass at the end of the game. Nashville took a penalty with under a half minute to go so it was 6 on 4 at the end...good thing it wasn't any longer or it could have been the second OT of the night.

Vancouver totally needs a new coach. Every year they win a ton of regular season games with speed, skill, and diving. Then in the playoffs they turn into total effing goons. In past years, they've gotten away with it, but in game 1 tonight, at least the first 35 minutes, they are getting sent to the box. Again and again.

After getting charged from behind, Matt Greene shows characteristic smart restraint and refuses to get sucked into a penalty.

Go Kings. Send the divers off to golf season.

Ah come on, I won't give you too tough of a time. :)

Vancouver totally needs a new coach. Every year they win a ton of regular season games with speed, skill, and diving. Then in the playoffs they turn into total effing goons. In past years, they've gotten away with it, but in game 1 tonight, at least the first 35 minutes, they are getting sent to the box. Again and again.

After getting charged from behind, Matt Greene shows characteristic smart restraint and refuses to get sucked into a penalty.

Go Kings. Send the divers off to golf season.

I only saw the first period but they were taking stupid penalties left and right, and it sounds like it didn't get any better.

Blowing a 3 goal lead in Game 1 is a very bad omen I'm afraid. I had the Penguins going deep into the playoffs but now I'm extremely nervous that they won't even get out of the 1st round. Not just because they lost Game 1 but because of how they lost it. The Blues are my pick to win it all, and if they do hopefully Oshie will bring the Cup to GF.

Be interesting to see how they bounce back from that meltdown, will they cowboy up or are they toast? If I'm Philly I'm feeling pretty good today.

I agree it would be cool to see Oshie win it all...first Toews, then Oshie...that would be neat.

Blowing a 3 goal lead in Game 1 is a very bad omen I'm afraid. I had the Penguins going deep into the playoffs but now I'm extremely nervous that they won't even get out of the 1st round. Not just because they lost Game 1 but because of how they lost it. The Blues are my pick to win it all, and if they do hopefully Oshie will bring the Cup to GF.

I think when Staal rang the pipe in the 3rd and almost put Pittsburgh up 4-1 "omen" was the word Doc Emerick used. Turned out to be prophetic at least for game 1. As for the series, one never knows.