SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 NHL Stanley Cup playoffs

jimdahl

- This week, we have a Sports Lounge EXTRA podcast with Travis Kriens' stories about the NBA and the Charlotte Bobcats. Featured: Telly Hughes becomes a celebrity, Rajon Rondo's workout routine and 'The Suit' stays golden.

http://chirb.it/xqbBC9

- On this week's Sports Lounge podcast, Travis Kriens is live and in studio. We talk about the SDSU-UND kerfuffle, the NFL Draft and the NBA.

http://chirb.it/7tJpr2

Since it's round 2 and I did so crappy in round 1, why not give it a shot?!

WEST

STL over LAK

The first result is in, and... Ouch. I'd like to pretend I saw it coming, but no way.

However, the Caps v Rangers is going pretty much exactly as I expected. I hoped it would be more like 3-1 by now, giving us some breathing room, but Washington failed to seize countless opportunities in that 3OT. The maturity in coming back and out-blocking and getting better opportunities than NY in the following game confirmed that the players have really bought into the system and are confident, but it's still far too close for my comfort... Gotta win at least one more at the Garden.

The first result is in, and... Ouch. I'd like to pretend I saw it coming, but no way.

However, the Caps v Rangers is going pretty much exactly as I expected. I hoped it would be more like 3-1 by now, giving us some breathing room, but Washington failed to seize countless opportunities in that 3OT. The maturity in coming back and out-blocking and getting better opportunities than NY in the following game confirmed that the players have really bought into the system and are confident, but it's still far too close for my comfort... Gotta win at least one more at the Garden.

This is pretty consistent with my 1st round picks. I take STL to beat LA, and not only does LA win, but they sweep them...unreal!

And the Devils comeback from down 2-0 to take a 3-2 lead with 2 minutes to go in the 2nd. Very entertaining game so far.

UGH! I was so mad last night...we recently switched providers and I no longer get the channel that it was on last night. And before you guys ask, I do not get to decide what package we go with..the bill is not in my name.

I haven't seen a team as focused and disciplined as New Jersey in a long time. They simply were not going to let Philly's antic pull them off their game ... "between the whistles" as DeBoer said before the series started. Fun to watch.

Couldn't agree more. Unlike the Pens the Devils didn't fall for their BS.

Phoenix is goonin it up. About to go down 0-2 after two home games.

Yup - and LA just keeps on rolling. My take on the gong show last night:

- The Shane Doan hit should not have been a 5 and a game. The LA player turned at the last minute, and at some point the league is going to have to put some of the onus on the players that receive the hit to not put themselves in a suspect position at the last minute. I could have seen a 2 minute penalty for boarding. Doan should not see further punishment from that hit. That being said, I also can't blame the refs for calling what they did. With the attention being put on these hits from behind, they're going to err on the side of giving a 5 and a game.

- The Hanzal hit on Brown from behind was bad - Hanzal will get a suspension from that. How long? Who knows. I don't believe he's a 'repeat offender', so maybe 1 game.

- Mike Smith chopping at Brown's legs - how the heck did Brown get 2 for 'embellishement'? Smith looked like he was chopping down Redwoods! This is the same goalie who got bumped behind the net by Shaw from the Blackhawks in the 1st round and looked like someone shot him with a shotgun, but once Shaw was given the gate for that game he was OK to finish the game. I'd love to get DaveK's take on this, because I thought Tim Thomas was the only goalie in the league that did things like this! ;)

• Upvote 1

Hanzal gets only 1 game.

I get that Brown wasn't injured, but that hit and the hit by Salmela against Goligoski in the Worlds are the kind of hits that I never wanna see again. Hanzal and Salmela both knew what they were doing and they could've paralyzed or killed those guys. If they would've been a couple more inches away from the boards on those hits, it would've been baad.

I just don't wanna see somebody die.

When did I say Timmy the hack was the only goalie to do that? You're 100% correct in saying that Smith looked like he was chopping down redwoods, as did Thomas last year and Ron Hextall back in 1987. All three were equally bush-league, but I'm guessing Bruins fans will consider only two of the three to be bush league.

You're right - you did also say Hextall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muDmRn4Kvys

• Upvote 1

With last night's win, Matt Greene and his LA Kings are a game away from the Cup Finals. Amazingly, they are this year's #8 seed in the West and have gone 11-1 in the playoffs while playing the #1, #2 and #3 seeds.

The finals begins tonight, and I think this one's going to be a GREAT final. After picking the first 3 rounds I ended up going 9-5 (not good)! What the heck - here's my Finals prediction:

As much as I'd love to see Parise and Zajac win it in NJ, it's just too tough for me to pick against LA right now. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see NJ win it, but with the way Jonathan Quick is playing and how LA has rolled through their opponents so far this postseason, I think LA will win the Cup this year in an awesome series. I'll take LA in 6 - they'll hoist the Cup on home ice.