SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 NHL Stanley Cup playoffs

jimdahl

The problem in this year's playoffs is simple:

The NHL gave a nothing sanction to Shea Weber after bowling Zetterberg's head into the glass.

What did that tell the players?

- Those concerns about concussions? Nah, forget it.

- Those game suspensions from the regular season? Nah, forget them.

With those in mind the contact picked up and too far.

Now the NHL is scrambling to regain control after screwing up the Weber situation.

How can I prove that?

Gee, both the PIT @ PHI and NYR @ OTT games had penaties called in the first 30 seconds of play --> message sent early and loudly.

• Upvote 2

Philly is a team of thugs. The Flyers (not the Penguins) are the ones guilty of antics. Now, being the objective fan that I am, I will admit that Asham and Neal's actions in Game 3 were uncalled for. But other than that the Flyers are still the classless organization that they have been since the Broad Street Bullies days of the mid '70s.

Wow!!!!! :silly: :silly:

• Upvote 1

My perspective on this is kind of mixed. On one hand, you have the Flyers, a franchise that has always promoted and celebrated Thug N Slug hockey. I never have and never will like the Flyers. In 1997, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Red Wings sweep Eric "Wonder Boy" Lindros and the overrated "Legion of Doom" line out of the Stanley Cup Finals. From Bobby Clarke in the 1970's to today, the Flyers are an example of what this great game shouldn't be like. And I think any Flyer fans that complain about what the Pens are doing are being just a little bit hypocritical.

On the other hand, you have the Pens, a very talented and skilled team that has, for some reason, resorted to the same tactics you expect from the Flyers in order to prove their toughness. I do not think this is a smart approach. If you have skill and speed up front, then use it. Don't take stupid penalties and neutralize your own skilled players because you are on the penalty kill for half the game. I believe that Crosby is trying to set the tone as the Captain of his team by playing uncharacteristically rough and tumble with a rough and tumble team. I also think he is trying to prove that he is over his concussion problems and that he is not a soft touch. While I understand the psychological reasons for all this, the Pens shouldn't resort to this garbage. You have speed and skill, use it. That is what they did last night. The Flyers took a bunch of stupid penalties and the Pens used their skill to make them pay for it. The Pens also cut out the cheap stuff and focused on playing the game.

The Flyers better end this series in Game 5 or else the Pens will gain even more confidence and start to believe they can pull off the comeback.

The problem in this year's playoffs is simple:

The NHL gave a nothing sanction to Shea Weber after bowling Zetterberg's head into the glass.

What did that tell the players?

- Those concerns about concussions? Nah, forget it.

- Those game suspensions from the regular season? Nah, forget them.

With those in mind the contact picked up and too far.

Now the NHL is scrambling to regain control after screwing up the Weber situation.

How can I prove that?

Gee, both the PIT @ PHI and NYR @ OTT games had penaties called in the first 30 seconds of play --> message sent early and loudly.

Exactly. Thus, the inmates are now running the asylum. It was never a situation of the refs and others in charge of ensuring player safety not being allowed to do their job...they never stepped up to do their jobs when given ample opportunity early on.

My perspective on this is kind of mixed. On one hand, you have the Flyers, a franchise that has always promoted and celebrated Thug N Slug hockey. I never have and never will like the Flyers. In 1997, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Red Wings sweep Eric "Wonder Boy" Lindros and the overrated "Legion of Doom" line out of the Stanley Cup Finals. From Bobby Clarke in the 1970's to today, the Flyers are an example of what this great game shouldn't be like. And I think any Flyer fans that complain about what the Pens are doing are being just a little bit hypocritical.

Not complaining about what the Penguins were doing as much as enjoying the hand ringing done by Penguins fans and them trying to excuse their little angels on ice.....very similar to many Gopher fans in that regard. I have always liked the way the Flyers have played and love the fact they are hated by so many....Very similar to being a Sioux fan!

• Upvote 1

Not complaining about what the Penguins were doing as much as enjoying the hand ringing done by Penguins fans and them trying to excuse their little angels on ice.....very similar to many Gopher fans in that regard. I have always liked the way the Flyers have played and love the fact they are hated by so many....Very similar to being a Sioux fan!

If you listen to the Capital, Canucks or Pengiuns fan bases they very much sound like the Gopher fan base. The Vancouver Canucks fans are the most simular Gopher fan base...

If you listen to the Capital, Canucks or Pengiuns fan bases they very much sound like the Gopher fan base. The Vancouver Canucks fans are the most simular Gopher fan base...

You forgot Bruins fans, always trying to defend their thuggy little angels ;)

So, what's the over-under on total points for tonight's Pens-Flyers game? I'll take 12.

So, what's the over-under on total points for tonight's Pens-Flyers game? I'll take 12.

As goofy as this series has been, probably 1-0 in triple OT. Crosby inadvertently kicks one in his own goal.

They did lead the league in majors and were third in total penalty minutes so I don't think they're exactly in the running for "Miss Congeniality". :lol:

Yeah, almost as funny as this... or this. :silly:

How anybody can defend the out of control actions of this team while at the same time crying about Matt Cooke just defies all logic and common sense. :lol:

DaveK - I think that you have to agree the 2011-2012 edition of Matt Cooke is significantly different than the historical Matt Cooke. I believe that you have to give Matt Cooke credit for separating himself from some of his prior actions. Since he has pretty much done it for a whole season, and has really had minimal penalties this season he now deserves some slack from those who do not like cheap shots. But you are correct, that most fans have "insert color here" tinted glasses when it comes to the deeds of their own favorite team.

Anyone know how the caps bruins game is going. Midco Has the stumbling herd on KVLY

No score about halfway through the second.

EDIT: 2-0 Caps late second

EDIT: and now 2-2 really late second, what is this Pens/Flyers all of a sudden?

Seems like the media is thinking he's going to get about 3 or 4 games...maybe I'm wrong but I'm guesssing we won't see him again until after the season starts next year. If they don't make an example of this guy there is no hope of it ever happening.

Torres gets a 25 game vacation for his shot on Hossa.

Looks like for once I was right.

Good for the NHL, nice to see a league have the balls to do the right thing once in a while.

Now about that $2500. maximum fine thing...

25 games? Geez, that seems excessive. 2 or 3 would have been plenty. As a Penguins fan it doesn't affect me all that much one way or the other, but if I liked the Coyotes I would feel like I had been severely violated.

I bet he would have got 4 games if:

A) He wasn't a habitual offender.

B) The playoffs to that point hadn't been a bloodbath and the league was feeling a little heat.

He was made an example of.