SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

Ok...but Miami and Western are on the home schedule. The rivalry with Denver is already established. How is having Miami and Western on the home schedule hot helping us develop rivalries with the new teams in the conference?

Miami and Western at this point stand to be two of the better teams in the conference based on how they've fared in recent history. I'm kind of excited to see these teams, actually.

I assumed that all seven conference foes would be on the home schedule, so I can't say I'm excited to see Miami and Western Michigan on the home schedule because I expected them there.

By my math, if they're going with a 24-game conference schedule and a rival system, once every three years UND will not play Denver four times. Which means we won't see Denver in Grand Forks once every six years. Same with the rest of the teams, with the exception of UNO, which is apparently our "rival."

It's funny that for a storied program like UND playing DI hockey since 1948, our two "rivals" under natural rival systems have been St. Cloud State (started DI hockey in 1987) and UNO (started DI hockey in 1997, and didn't move to the WCHA until 2010). I understand why the NCHC paired DU with CC and Miami with Western Mich, but did Duluth really have to get paired up with St. Cloud? Aside from some good games in the last couple years, there is no historical or natural rivalry between UND and Omaha. I would have preferred a 28-game conference schedule with a no-rival system. But short of that, I'd rather Duluth be UND's rival and St Cloud could have paired up with Omaha.

It's funny that for a storied program like UND playing DI hockey since 1948, our two "rivals" under natural rival systems have been St. Cloud State (started DI hockey in 1987) and UNO (started DI hockey in 1997, and didn't move to the WCHA until 2010). I understand why the NCHC paired DU with CC and Miami with Western Mich, but did Duluth really have to get paired up with St. Cloud? Aside from some good games in the last couple years, there is no historical or natural rivalry between UND and Omaha. I would have preferred a 28-game conference schedule with a no-rival system. But short of that, I'd rather Duluth be UND's rival and St Cloud could have paired up with Omaha.

UND vs UNO is the new version of the current WCHA's Mankato vs Alaska-Anchorage.

• Upvote 2

I would have preferred a 28-game conference schedule with a no-rival system. But short of that, I'd rather Duluth be UND's rival and St Cloud could have paired up with Omaha.

For the record, I would prefer a full conference schedule too.

I'm OK with having the Omaha trip on the schedule every year - it's a fun one. Of course, Duluth is an excellent trip as well. I could handle either one on a yearly basis. I'm just darn happy we're done with guaranteed road trips to St. Cloud every year!

For the record, I would prefer a full conference schedule too.

I'm OK with having the Omaha trip on the schedule every year - it's a fun one. Of course, Duluth is an excellent trip as well. I could handle either one on a yearly basis. I'm just darn happy we're done with guaranteed road trips to St. Cloud every year!

I think Hakstol was one of the coaches pushing for less conference games so they could schedule Minnesota and Wisconsin every year. If that transpires, it would be o.k., but not having Denver at home every year doesn't help in the short term. When you look at how many of the teams in the NCHC have made the NCAA playoffs in the past 5-10 years, it might be nice to schedule a few non-conference foes that might lighten the SOS a little bit.

I assumed that all seven conference foes would be on the home schedule, so I can't say I'm excited to see Miami and Western Michigan on the home schedule because I expected them there.

By my math, if they're going with a 24-game conference schedule and a rival system, once every three years UND will not play Denver four times. Which means we won't see Denver in Grand Forks once every six years. Same with the rest of the teams, with the exception of UNO, which is apparently our "rival."

Or the new conference could've not added clown and we wouldn't have had to worry about it.

Fewer conference games is a must in getting more teams into the NCAAs. The Pairwise is based on non-conference action. If the NCHC can tear it up in non-conference they should be able to get four teams in the tourney, and on a rare occasion maybe five (and in down years three). Ideally UND would work with Bemidji to get two teams to come in playing one team one night, then switching opponents. Getting more opponents is also helpful for the pairwise.

Hopefully there is someone in the league office that reallly understands the nuances of PWR and is working with teams to schedule in a way that can maximize the league's chances of getting teams into the NCAA tourney. Several mid-major basketball conferences have been able to do it to create and sustain a level of success.

I noticed the schedule said "Jan. 17-18 — at Bemidji State/BEMIDJI STATE". Does this mean there is a game in Bemidji on the 17th and a game in Grand Forks on the 18th?

probably, They used to do home and home with BSU before they joined the WCHA. CC and DU play at least one series that is home and home..I believe

That's what I got out of it, interesting idea for an old WCHA mate.

Not really. Before the beavers joined the wcha that's what UND did for a while under Hakstol. Every season they played them, Fri. away, Sat. home. Im happy we are still playing them. ts an easy road trip for a lot of und fans, only 2.5 hours from gf.

Not really. Before the beavers joined the wcha that's what UND did for a while under Hakstol. Every season they played them, Fri. away, Sat. home. Im happy we are still playing them. ts an easy road trip for a lot of und fans, only 2.5 hours from gf.

How slow do you drive? I can be in Cass Lake in that time without driving fast enough to even get a ticket.

NATIONAL scoring race. 5 of 7 WCHA

http://www.uscho.com/stats/overall/division-i-men/2012-2013/

Carey 47

Walters 45

Kristo 43

Knight 43

Flannigan 42

LeBlanc 42

Schwartz 40

WCHA scoring race (all games)

http://collegehockeystats.net/1213/overallstats/wcham

Walters 45

Kristo 43

Knight 43

LeBlanc 42

Schwartz 40

WCHA GAMES ONLY scoring race (only conf games included)

http://collegehockeystats.net/1213/confstats/wcham

Kristo 35

Walters 35

Knight 33

Schwartz 32

Leblanc 31

Looks like there will be some web pages for Corban and Danny's post season awards push. Good to hear

@UNDSID: Work has begun in earnest for "Candidate For Postseason Honors" web pages for @CorbanKnight and @dkristo7. #lotsofmaterialtoworkwith

Good Simpson article

“This has been an interesting year for us with some ups and downs,” Simpson said. “The expectations here are always to win a national title so that is what our goal is this year, and I really feel like the team is getting hot at the right time.”

http://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-men/article/2013-02-28/father-son

How many incoming recruits next year will be Dillon's age or older than him as a senior? Crazy he's so young and from the sounds he is a very bright student. His dad started at mich st at age 16! That had to be very rare and a one of a kind story.

He will be wearing a C or A next year!

Nice tweet from Mr. Hockey Night in Canada Craig Simpson

@hnicsimmer: Good luck to #UND Seniors Andy MacWilliam, Corban Knight, Danny Kristo, Joe Gleason, Carter Rowney and Tate Maris on senior weekend.Go Sioux

Ticket packages for the WCHA 1st Round playoff series go on sale Tuesday at 10:00 am CT

Series ticket packages are $40 for adults and $20 for students and youth.

Single-game WCHA first-round playoff tickets will go one sale on Friday, March 8 at 10 a.m. Single-game tickets are $20 for adults and $10 for students and youth. Single-game tickets are subject to availability.

http://www.undsports...DB_OEM_ID=13500

• 2 weeks later...

@SchlossmanGF: Current home-ice playoff streaks: North Dakota 11, Denver 10, Minnesota 3, SCSU 2, Wisconsin 1, MSU-Mankato 1

@SchlossmanGF: Current Final Five streaks: North Dakota 10, Denver 5, Duluth 4, Minnesota 1, SCSU 1, Michigan Tech 1

@SchlossmanGF: 15 of the last 16 Final Five title games - and each of the last 9 - have featured either UND or Denver.

Kristo is shown a assist on the last goal on CHN app but not on uscho.

If he gets the credit for the 2nd assist he would be at 51 points and 1 back of Walters for the nations lead and UNO is done.

Congrats to Danny joining the 50 point club at UND

@SchlossmanGF: Current home-ice playoff streaks: North Dakota 11, Denver 10, Minnesota 3, SCSU 2, Wisconsin 1, MSU-Mankato 1

@SchlossmanGF: Current Final Five streaks: North Dakota 10, Denver 5, Duluth 4, Minnesota 1, SCSU 1, Michigan Tech 1

@SchlossmanGF: 15 of the last 16 Final Five title games - and each of the last 9 - have featured either UND or Denver.

Will the people with unrealistic expectations please take another look at this list, and be sure to add one to the North Dakota Final Five Streak, and end Duluth and Denver's streaks. So now we have North Dakota at 11, then Minnesota and SCSU at 2. Hmmm!

• Upvote 1

Kristo gets it, cool article by brad

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/259328/

“Osh didn’t even play one game in the American League,” Kristo said, “and he even said, ‘I wish I would have stayed for my senior year. I never got to put a banner in the Ralph.’ Talking to other guys, they said it’s not the same in the pros.

“It’s everyone’s dream to play in the NHL and win the Stanley Cup. That’s still my dream, but it comes with timing. The best thing for me was to come back here and try to win a banner.”

• Upvote 1

Kristo gets it, cool article by brad

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/259328/

“Osh didn’t even play one game in the American League,” Kristo said, “and he even said, ‘I wish I would have stayed for my senior year. I never got to put a banner in the Ralph.’ Talking to other guys, they said it’s not the same in the pros.

“It’s everyone’s dream to play in the NHL and win the Stanley Cup. That’s still my dream, but it comes with timing. The best thing for me was to come back here and try to win a banner.”

Hopefully the underclassmen are listening. Clearly Kristo put some thought into this.