SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

I would expect UND to fare pretty well recruiting head-to-head against SDSU, particularly for kids from warmer weather states, due in large part to the fact that they are the only FCS school in the region that still plays outside. Even when UND had nothing to play for, we were able to get McGill and Sparks, for example, both of whom SDSU badly wanted. True, at present SDSU has a better team. But UND is generally considered the better school, in a much larger town, and plays (and hopefully soon practices) out of the elements most of the time.

Agree with everything you've said here. Although, SDSU has plans for an IPF as well. Not sure at all on the timeline or where they are at for fundraising, budget, etc. http://www.sdsudevelopingchampions.com/facility

I'm lost at this point who have we gained over the recruiting peried so far and as a whole how does the defense look compared to this fall?

A couple solid D-linemen, two safeties and one LB in Schobert Disterhaupt and possibly Norberg. That is who we know of. There are 2-3 commitments we have not put a name to. We won't know how the class is going to look until everyone signs.

The most likely to fill spots in defense are going to be the 4 LB's, 3 D-linemen and a couple dbacks who redshirted last fall. There may be a couple freshmen that do not redshirt this year however.

Besides Mikias Alipate, UND hasn't lost anyone else that they were after hard against SDSU. Plus, we got Aeron Carr.

The one I'm not entirely sure about is OL Joe Kucikevicius from Illinois. Not sure if he visited or how hard we were after him.

The other remaining battle out there right now against SDSU is QB Tyler Rogers. Although I tend to think he won't end up at either school.

As of now, Alipate is the only one UND has truly lost to SDSU on. We got Aeron Carr. Not bad considering how the 2 teams did the last few years.

Your forgetting Bobbit the safety...would've liked to see him in our class. And the osseo rb, that was mn player of the year I believe. That plus the lb are a few pretty good gets.

Your forgetting Bobbit the safety...would've liked to see him in our class. And the osseo rb, that was mn player of the year I believe. That plus the lb are a few pretty good gets.

In case you didnt notice UND took his teammate, also a safety, about a month ago. Cam Kuksa. And they got Cole Reyes.

UND, along with a few other schools, dropped Tusler long ago. The only reason SDSU took him now is because they lost the ones they wanted. Pretty obvious they didnt want him a week ago.

At this point I think we have a tremendous recruiting class. Because of that unforunately I think we will also have some decommits. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

It tells me they were on the right guys when Missouri Valley and MAC teams are coming in hard.

A couple solid D-linemen, two safeties and one LB in Schobert and possibly Norberg. That is who we know of. There are 2-3 commitments we have not put a name to. We won't know how the class is going to look until everyone signs.

The most likely to fill spots in defense are going to be the 4 LB's, 3 D-linemen and a couple dbacks who redshirted last fall. There may be a couple freshmen that do not redshirt this year however.

Schobert???

Sam Riddle - QB from Portland, OR area. Verballed to UND, but from what we've read, still is hoping to get a PSU offer to be able to play at home.

Dan Bell - OL from Wisconsin. Has been a "soft" verbal for quite awhile. I believe there was interest from MAC teams & some bigger schools.

Kyle Norberg - LB from Illinois. "Soft" verbal & visiting Iowa this weekend, waiting to see if the Hawkeyes have a spot for him or not.

Those are the 3 known. Might be a few others. Seen quite a few kids flip their commitments lately.

I think bell is fairly solid now based on some things I've seen. Things could always change but looks good now.

I'm lost at this point who have we gained over the recruiting peried so far and as a whole how does the defense look compared to this fall?

I apologize if I read this wrong and you meant these as two wholly separate questions but people really need to stop thinking we'll be filling the holes in our defense with this year's recruiting class. This is not NFL free agency. If we see an improvement on the defensive side of the ball it is highly unlikely that it will come from this class. The guys who will be improving the defense will be the guys who were recruited last year and the year before that. If you're going to be judging this class by whether their redshirts are pulled and they're starters as true freshman you're going to be disappointed. Not every recruit is going to be a Golloday who comes in and makes an impact right away.

• Upvote 1

I apologize if I read this wrong and you meant these as two wholly separate questions but people really need to stop thinking we'll be filling the holes in our defense with this year's recruiting class. This is not NFL free agency. If we see an improvement on the defensive side of the ball it is highly unlikely that it will come from this class. The guys who will be improving the defense will be the guys who were recruited last year and the year before that. If you're going to be judging this class by whether their redshirts are pulled and they're starters as true freshman you're going to be disappointed. Not every recruit is going to be a Golloday who comes in and makes an impact right away.

I bet a d linemen will get a shirt pulled. I'm not sure if any other position would be as open looking at our class. If we land a stud cb then he could be a candidate since we need another one opposite Darryl Brown

I bet a d linemen will get a shirt pulled. I'm not sure if any other position would be as open looking at our class. If we land a stud cb then he could be a candidate since we need another one opposite Darryl Brown

Do any of our DLine commits have the size to come in and play right away. They look talented enough but they all seem like "put on bulk" kind of guys. Not like Edwards last year where he came in and looked the part right away. I personally think either Reyes or Kuska has the best shot at getting a shirt pulled of our current commits. And, like you said, a corner who we may not know about yet. Of course, there are always going to be a 1 or 2 guys who force the coaches hand and make them pull the shirt and give them playing time right off the bat but my point was that we're not going to find the answers to our defensive struggles in this class. The guys in this class are the guys who are hopefully going to step into starting/impact roles during their 3rd season on campus because the guys we signed the last two years are good enough to fill the holes we saw last year. This is why coaches and staffs need to be given time develop their recruiting classes. There aren't any overnight fixes in college football, especially at the FCS level.

Do any of our DLine commits have the size to come in and play right away. They look talented enough but they all seem like "put on bulk" kind of guys. Not like Edwards last year where he came in and looked the part right away. I personally think either Reyes or Kuska has the best shot at getting a shirt pulled of our current commits. And, like you said, a corner who we may not know about yet. Of course, there are always going to be a 1 or 2 guys who force the coaches hand and make them pull the shirt and give them playing time right off the bat but my point was that we're not going to find the answers to our defensive struggles in this class. The guys in this class are the guys who are hopefully going to step into starting/impact roles during their 3rd season on campus because the guys we signed the last two years are good enough to fill the holes we saw last year. This is why coaches and staffs need to be given time develop their recruiting classes. There aren't any overnight fixes in college football, especially at the FCS level.

One big hole will be filled by one very big young man in Edwards.

I would guess JJ Robertson and Meindel are very likely to play this year, if they sign Thurman he would be very likely, if not possibly a different DB like Carr who could also return kicks. I would be surprised to see a lineman on either side of the ball, but you never know.

And there's still 3 or more chest bumps out that we don't know about so we'll have to see who they have up their sleeve.