SiouxSports.com Forum

Countdown begins! UND vs. NDSU

UNDsportsFANATIC

Really? Are we really going to go there? Yelling Sioux Suck is no different than people yelling things about any other team. Is it appropriate for UND fans to throw dead gophers on the ice? Sure, I don't know anyone with a logical mind who is against it, other than the fact it is kinda gross...still funny though.

If UND's name was the....Jaguars or Vikings or anything else.....people would still yell something against them. Part of sports...get over it. Nothing wrong with it. Now if they are yelling what we yelled at Belcourt in high school "WE PAY TAXES!" that can be argued is going too far...

True, I think that what it does is illustrate the same kind of irrational thinking that the NCAA has in deeming UND hostile and abusive. I think pointing out absurdity with absurdity is the only way some people can see the hypocrisy.

True, I think that what it does is illustrate the same kind of irrational thinking that the NCAA has in deeming UND hostile and abusive. I think pointing out absurdity with absurdity is the only way some people can see the hypocrisy.

I don't want to turn this into some nickname debate, cause honestly I can give two craps about what any team calls themselves, my only beef with UND was they tried fighting against a contract that was signed to give them a chance. But thats for about a billion other threads on here, not this one.

Perhaps they should have announced on the PA that the UND fans will refrain from calling UND the Sioux in chants if they were going to ask the NDSU fans to not say Sioux Suck ****. In fact, my ticket said, North Dakota Fighting Sioux vs. NDSU on it. What do they want me to refer to UND as in chants if not the Sioux (which was also printed on the court? If you are going to go the politically correct route, do it right! Anyways, not a big deal, I think we will all survive!

Have a good one guys!

my thoughts on the game:

pretty ugly game by both teams. und played a little less crappier. you guys played some solid defense on us. you took taylor braun and lawrence alexander out of their games. that is how you beat us. we wont win many games if that happens. bjorklund was the only one with a decent game for us. brekke had a hell of a game. you guys played solid defense in the lane on us. rarely gave us easy looks in the lane. i saw two young teams last night with a lot of potential. i am impressed with und's sophomore class. anderson is quick. huff has great potential, he needs to bulk up a bit but he seemed to play too much one on one in my opinion. he will probably get better as he matures and gets better. webb had a quiet game but i know hes had good games before. will be interesting to see how you guys do in the big sky next season as your team matures and progresses. if you guys can get a more consistent inside presence and shoot a little better you could very well compete for the big sky title in two seasons. i would not be shocked to see both teams in the dance in two seasons.

Really? Are we really going to go there? Yelling Sioux Suck is no different than people yelling things about any other team. Is it appropriate for UND fans to throw dead gophers on the ice? Sure, I don't know anyone with a logical mind who is against it, other than the fact it is kinda gross...still funny though.

If UND's name was the....Jaguars or Vikings or anything else.....people would still yell something against them. Part of sports...get over it. Nothing wrong with it. Now if they are yelling what we yelled at Belcourt in high school "WE PAY TAXES!" that can be argued is going too far...

I have absolutely no problem with NDSU fans chanting "Sioux Suck" when we are playing each other, like Tuesday night. It was only highlighted after this game because of the attention it got during and after the national championship game, where it had no place being used.

In a game between the teams, however, more power to the bison fans as long as our fans have the sense to fire right back and drown it out.

my thoughts on the game:

pretty ugly game by both teams. und played a little less crappier. you guys played some solid defense on us. you took taylor braun and lawrence alexander out of their games. that is how you beat us. we wont win many games if that happens. bjorklund was the only one with a decent game for us. brekke had a hell of a game. you guys played solid defense in the lane on us. rarely gave us easy looks in the lane. i saw two young teams last night with a lot of potential. i am impressed with und's sophomore class. anderson is quick. huff has great potential, he needs to bulk up a bit but he seemed to play too much one on one in my opinion. he will probably get better as he matures and gets better. webb had a quiet game but i know hes had good games before. will be interesting to see how you guys do in the big sky next season as your team matures and progresses. if you guys can get a more consistent inside presence and shoot a little better you could very well compete for the big sky title in two seasons. i would not be shocked to see both teams in the dance in two seasons.

I do agree that each team has a good chance of dancing in two years. What was especially amazing was the magnitude of this game and UND is led by 5 sophomores ( Huff, Anderson, Webb, Schuler and Brekke) and NDSU is also led by sophomores and a freshman. It gives very good hope to both schools of what can be achieved in the next 2 years if steady improvement is made. I still dont see this game being so ugly as alot of people claim. Both teams played hard defense and contested every shot. I guess when both teams play good defense the game may appear ugly cause many shots are missed but good defense wins games like any other sport. Goodluck to the Bison the rest of the year and hopefully both will be dancing in the future. Go Sioux

quick question - did BWW run a promotion this year and give away tickets?

I believe they were the main sponsor, but I did not hear or see anything to the like of them giving out free tickets like they did last year down in Fargo. The only free tickets that were given out were student tickets, which is normal.

I believe they were the main sponsor, but I did not hear or see anything to the like of them giving out free tickets like they did last year down in Fargo. The only free tickets that were given out were student tickets, which is normal.

And calling those student tickets "free" is a stretch, since a portion of their student fees are charged to pay for those tickets.

And calling those student tickets "free" is a stretch, since a portion of their student fees are charged to pay for those tickets.

Just call them free, its not like UND's hockey ticket thing where they make the students pay extra...which is a load of crap by the way. Oh, and using a seniority system instead of first come-first served is absolutely archaic and ridiculous as well.

Semantics. I assume most people are well aware that the students pay student fees that go towards athletics. Students pay extra for hockey tickets, those are not "free". They get tickets to all other events for no extra cost towards them, essentially "free". No extra money comes out of their wallets.

Just call them free, its not like UND's hockey ticket thing where they make the students pay extra...which is a load of crap by the way. Oh, and using a seniority system instead of first come-first served is absolutely archaic and ridiculous as well.

Thanks for your input. Its noted. When there stops being students who get turned away for tickets, we'll take a look at your recommendations.

• Upvote 1

Oh, and using a seniority system instead of first come-first served is absolutely archaic and ridiculous as well.

Really? Isn't that how Mean Gene Taylor doled out tickets for a recent NDSU football game?

And to hear Taylor and NDSU release that (priority points in TeamMakers) to the media was silly. That's how UND has meted out tickets to Frozen Fours for years and you never hear that trumpeted in the media.

Sorry for the diversion. Please return to normally scheduled interwebs arguments. :)

• Upvote 1

Has no problem with a seniority system for student tickets for hockey. There is limited supply, very high demand. It should be the people that have been at UND the longest that get first crack at the tickets. It's not like we're buying assigned seats or anything, people still have to show up early to get the best seats on gameday. Also they way they have it set up is that there are only so many tickets allotted to seniors/grad students, juniors, sophomores, and freshmen so it's not like only juniors/seniors are attending the games.

Complaining about this is stupid and the system works (aside from stupid ticketmaster issues).

I can't believe the game of the century down in Fargo isnt on TV anywhere tonight. The game vs. UND was on state wide TV (ABC) and on FSN and Midco. :silly:

Worse?

SDSU @ NDSU drew 5011 (source: Sunday Fargo Forum).

The Fargo Force drew 4811 the same night (source: FargoForce.com).

And the WWE drew over 5000 (source: "They seated for 6000 and filled more than 5000 of the seats from what the Dome workers said." http://www.Wrestling.../#ixzz1kIwIOhGb

With 15000 folks out there on a Saturday in Fargo, I'd have thought the majority would have chosen to see the great "rivalry" game and not junior hockey or "sports entertainment". The Force were sold out. WWE had about 1000 seats open (see source). NDSU had about 1000 seats open.

Worse?

And the WWE drew over 5000 (source: "The seated for 6000 and filled more than 5000 of the seats from what the Dome workers said." http://www.Wrestling.../#ixzz1kIwIOhGb

With 15000 folks out there on a Saturday in Fargo, I'd have thought the majority would have chosen to see the great "rivalry" game and not junior hockey or "sports entertainment". The Force were sold out. WWE had about 1000 seats open (see source). NDSU had about 1000 seats open.

The night before the Womens game drew 6,000. :whistling:

Worse?

And the WWE drew over 5000 (source: "They seated for 6000 and filled more than 5000 of the seats from what the Dome workers said." http://www.Wrestling.../#ixzz1kIwIOhGb

I was at the Force game Saturday night, we got there early. Some friends made it in just before they cut off ticket sales, sounds like there was a big line behind them. Great to see the Force playing well and the fans getting behind them.