SiouxSports.com Forum

Sunday Afternoon/Evening in Bemidji

siouxforeverbaby

It just looks to me that this Sioux team seem to have some sense of entitlement that means they don't have to work hard every shift.

In fact I'm not sure this group deserves to wear the SIOUX name. They should pull on the North Dakota sweaters now.

Shouldn't they be proud to play for NORTH DAKOTA too?

This is gonna be a very trying season for the Sioux. We've been spoiled with how well our teams have been playing the past few seasons. I'm hoping the Sioux don't totally shoot themselves in the foot but it's not looking good for the team so far. Can't believe we got shutout again. It's a sad day when we can't score at least one goal against Bemidji.

Hopefully things will eventually get better but I won't be surprised if they don't. Still though, I will continue to root for our team. GO SIOUX!!

• Upvote 1

This is gonna be a very trying season for the Sioux. We've been spoiled with how well our teams have been playing the past few seasons. I'm hoping the Sioux don't totally shoot themselves in the foot but it's not looking good for the team so far. Can't believe we got shutout again. It's a sad day when we can't score at least one goal against Bemidji.

Hopefully things will eventually get better but I won't be surprised if they don't. Still though, I will continue to root for our team. GO SIOUX!!

I'd feel a hell of a lot better about this season if we had gotten it done last year.

• Upvote 1

I'd feel a hell of a lot better about this season if we had gotten it done last year.

True that. The roster last year was built to win a title. We all knew this was going to be a pretty trying season with all the players we lost to graduation and going pro. Still it sucks to see the team struggle. (Yes, I know it has to be just as frustrating if not more for the players)

This team is disturbingly void of talent.

^^^^^^^^

Can't sum it up any better than that.

Last night was baby steps. Tonight it was the big drop off...again.

With CC coming to town next weekend, I'd take a split right now if I could lock it in.

Good lord - a little elitism here? Much better teams than UND have lost to BSU. Notre Dame in '09? UMD last year? BSU isn't exactly AIC...

Careful now, nice jab with the "much better teams" statement. Yes, any given night, a cellar dwellar like BSU can knock off an elite team. You are closer to American International than you think. You just got your first win against UND ever, enjoy that. (and by "ever", I mean in the division I era)

But, enough about BSU. UND has many problems right now, I expect them to climb out of the deep cellar of the WCHA, but i'm hoping for a 4th to 6th place finish at this point. It is a down year for UND, it was bound to happen.

Very hard game to watch no jump and no fire from the team and a pretty uneventful game all the way around. The Sioux need to start playing a little more desperate and beating teams with hardwork because it looks like there might be a lot of games this year where the Sioux aren't the most talented team on the ice

Good lord - a little elitism here? Much better teams than UND have lost to BSU. Notre Dame in '09? UMD last year? BSU isn't exactly AIC...

No kidding. No shame in losing to the beav even though it was their first victory ever against the Sioux since they turned D1. Remember they were in the Frozen Four a couple years ago. It's not like they are Holy Cross or anything.

Very hard game to watch no jump and no fire from the team and a pretty uneventful game all the way around. The Sioux need to start playing a little more desperate and beating teams with hardwork because it looks like there might be a lot of games this year where the Sioux aren't the most talented team on the ice

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard and I haven't seen that enough this year thus far.

This is Hakstols opportunity to coach when he doesn't have the talent and he is failing so far, how does North Dakota get out muscled and out hit by anyone let alone both Bemidji and the gophers and getting shut out three games already and there is lots of games left. We play dump and chase but never get there and it's an easy out for the opposing defenseman. I thought it would be a little bit of a down year but 10-11 place is not what i was expecting. This team looks disorganized and not interested in playing Sioux hockey, I hope the new jerseys arrive soon because this group is not SIOUX hockey in my book. Hakstol should at least try to coach, what does he change ever except one player on the fourth line, change the powerplay if it not working and hit somebody, anybody. Hakstol can move on anytime to greener pastures cause he ain't getting it done here, the talent he has had he should have a couple of titles not near misses.

This is Hakstols opportunity to coach when he doesn't have the talent and he is failing so far, how does North Dakota get out muscled and out hit by anyone let alone both Bemidji and the gophers and getting shut out three games already and there is lots of games left. We play dump and chase but never get there and it's an easy out for the opposing defenseman. I thought it would be a little bit of a down year but 10-11 place is not what i was expecting. This team looks disorganized and not interested in playing Sioux hockey, I hope the new jerseys arrive soon because this group is not SIOUX hockey in my book. Hakstol should at least try to coach, what does he change ever except one player on the fourth line, change the powerplay if it not working and hit somebody, anybody. Hakstol can move on anytime to greener pastures cause he ain't getting it done here, the talent he has had he should have a couple of titles not near misses.

Sounds like someone should be sending their application into the UND AD sometime soon!

I've been trying hard not to go off the depend. I support Hak immensely.

With that said, as much as I support Hakstol, Eades, and Jackson, my patience is growing thin with some of their coaching styles. Whether or not we have elite talent, not every team is the same. It seems as if they are bent on using a certain game plan, no matter what, even if it doesn't work for that particular team. I think dump and chase and puck control can be successful with the proper players. Heck, even when we had a team full of blue chippers, we played that way, but they were good enough to overcome it with their abilities. This team has really come down to recruiting. We've had a few years now with minimal blue chip recruits. Yes, we've had some good players come in (and others who had said they were coming, but didn't), but let's face it...we have one of the greatest facilities in the world, a top 100 university, and over a half century of championship success as our pedigree. We've had tons of players go on to successful NHL careers....the list goes on and on. With that said, why does our team lack so much talent?

Like I stated above, I support Hak & Co. a lot. Their jobs aren't easy, and sometimes things just don't go your way. Yes, losing a ton of players from a great team last year hurts, and I'm not forgetting that Hak & Co. assembled that team (and other good ones), but it's just confusing on where this team is at. I'm trying to pinpoint something that turns the great players (not the good ones) away from UND and I can't figure it out.

Either way, it's a long season, and we should be plenty thankful (especially this week!) for what we've been able to witness the last 5-6 years. A season like this was ultimately bound to happen eventually. There's still hope.

Totally agree with your 1st statement. In years past, with all the top end talent, IMO Hak's biggest problem was just trying to get those teams focused and motivated on a nightly basis because their talent was so good. Now do I think Hak has underachieved by not winning a NC so far? Not really, especially after being at last year's F4. That game was men vs. boys. Cue Schloss, but the hot goalie got us. You do need some luck along the way to get a NC.

This year, there is very little top end talent, but I haven't seen Hak really coaching this team up so far. Last night's game was dreadful. When you are 1-5 to start the WCHA and UND gets the 1st game of the weekend, they should of come out tasting blood from the night before to get the sweep against a team, at best, with similar marginal WCHA talent. But it is what it is...2-6 in the WCHA with CC this weekend. 2-8 isn't unrealistic, but would be pathetic for this program.