SiouxSports.com Forum

Someone please explain!

bigskyvikes

Listening to PA on KFan today he had Gorg on who says Patterson is best goalie in WCHA!

I should be used to it but, the goofs are now ranked 8th!

How is all this talk and ranking possible by beating an unranked team the first week?

Also going into over time twice with the 11th ranked team while Patterson ("the best goalie") let in eight goals?

I don't get it! All while starting I think around 20th!

Listening to PA on KFan today he had Gorg on who says Patterson is best goalie in WCHA!

How is all this talk and ranking possible by beating an unranked team the first week?

Also going into over time twice with the 11th ranked team while Patterson ("the best goalie") let in eight goals?

You're complaining the Gophers are ranked 8th after a road sweep against the defending national champs? If it wasnt for pre-season rankings the Gophers would be ranked even higher. Rankings at this time of year are meaningless.

And yes Patterson let in 8 goals this weekend but he was the best player on the ice in both games. He stopped 92/100 shots in a tough environment. He is definitely in the conversation for the best goalie in the league. He was second team last year and is off to a great start this year. Through four games he has a 943% and a GAA of 1.9.

• Upvote 2

The gophers beating umd doesn't impress me because for the most part, umd doesn't impress me. Didn't last year either. Patterson is fine. Yes he is a top goalie. No problem with that. The gophers can talk about how awesome they are all they want. Defensively not impressed at all, so good luck with maintaining everything.

The gophers beating umd doesn't impress me because for the most part, umd doesn't impress me. Didn't last year either. Patterson is fine. Yes he is a top goalie. No problem with that. The gophers can talk about how awesome they are all they want. Defensively not impressed at all, so good luck with maintaining everything.

Defense needs to improve and I think it will with Guentzel back. Only one junior, Helgeson. The rest are sophs and frosh.

One thing that Gorg obviously did not recognize was how poorly the Gophers defensemen played. Patterson have to make 100 saves in a weekend!!! That is n ot good. Yes Patteron is a good goalie. But you can't expect him to stand on his head every weekend. You can alos not espect to score 5 goals a game either. The Gophers did beat the defending champs at their place, I will give them credit for that. But if you allow 50 shots a night, its gonna be tough to win.

I did not watch the game but I talked to people who did and they told me that most of Duluth's shots were from long distances. I can't remember one time last year that our team, IMO easily the best team in the country, came close to 50 shots last year. Even if half of Duluth's shots were from above the top of the circles, 25 shots were still taken from a decent scoring area. Allowing 50 shots, no matter the quality, is a HUGE issue. Not only that the Gophers put up 16 shots that same game. How does a team get outshot by 34 and win the game? I admit the Gophers are improved this year, but those shot totals do not show me that the Gopher team is ready to compete for a Frozen Four like their fan base is proclaiming.

"Listening to PA on KFan today he had Gorg" - that is your first mistake - and not understanding that Gorg is a homer is your second...

All I will say is that confidence is a strange thing. If the gophers sweep Vermont this weekend, as I fully expect them to, I think they will gain even more confidence and will be a team that should finish top four or five. One thing that was characterisic of gopher teams that made the NCAA tourney is scoring on the powerplay, and they sure took advantage of that last weekend. Now as far as Gorg goes, he apparently isn't supposed to be objective because he refers to everything as a "no-brainer" even though most fans could see it called two ways. I like the time when he thought the Bulldogs should get the additional penalty in a scrum, and Lapanta thought the gophers should. Speaks volumes about which one has at least some objectivity.

I don't think that UMD cares if anybody was impressed by them. They are hanging a National Championship banner, and really that's all that counts.

One thing that Gorg obviously did not recognize was how poorly the Gophers defensemen played. Patterson have to make 100 saves in a weekend!!! That is n ot good. Yes Patteron is a good goalie. But you can't expect him to stand on his head every weekend. You can alos not espect to score 5 goals a game either. The Gophers did beat the defending champs at their place, I will give them credit for that. But if you allow 50 shots a night, its gonna be tough to win.

Let's not forget that Gorg is also a Koolaide drinker as well.

I think it's funny that the Gophers fans are beating their chest so hard after their sweep but the Bulldogs are a shell of their former self... The Bulldogs lost a of great players from last season's team, Mike Connolly (28-26-54), Justin Fontaine(22-36-58), Justin Faulk (8-25-35), Mike Montgomery (0-10-10) solid underated defenseman and Kyle Schmidt (11-11-22). I am not a math major or good at math but that is a 157 points from UMD's offensive production.

Edited by Goon

Everybody is all world according to Gorg. The guy hands out praise like there is no tomorrow.

Just picking up where Mazzocco left off. If he begins using "masterful" in his description, I might just throw up. He acted like a freshman player wouldn't know to set up on the goal mouth on the powerplay to tap in a pass, after Rau scored a wide open goal from a goal-mouth feed. It kind of detracts from the really great plays when every play is unbelievable.

The Bulldogs lost a of great players from last season's team, Mike Connolly (28-26-54), Justin Fontaine(22-36-58), Justin Faulk (8-25-35), Mike Montgomery (0-10-10) solid underated defenseman and Kyle Schmidt (11-11-22). I am not a math major or good at math but that is a 157 points from UMD's offensive production.

...and they still managed to put up 100 shots on Patterson. Not sure what that says about the Gophers D at this point, but we'll find out soon enough. Right now they look pretty good and are playing with a lot of confidence. They won't stay at 75% (or whatever other-worldly number they're at) on the PP, though, so they need to tighten things up a bit.

Right now it appears the Sioux's match-up with them in a few weeks may be "strength on strength" when it comes to their O and our D; and "weakness on weakness" with our O on their D.

Probably means it will come down to special teams and goaltending...as usual! :)

Minnesota is a better team this year. They are a little weak defensively, but I suspect that's primarily because they are real young back there.

They have some players like Haula, Bjugstad and Rau who can put the puck in the net, and they're playing with a lot of confidence. It is not going to be an easy series for the Sioux in a few weeks, and I could easily see MN with a top 3 finish in the WCHA this year.

On another topic, it looks like our players have a "stalker" in the form of a kid from Minnesota who attends UND. I saw this thread on GPL the other day. I STRONGLY recommend against going on GPL to troll or respond to that thread, since drawing a response from Sioux fans is clearly the intent, but it is a pretty funny read.

http://www.gopherpuc...hp?f=22&t=10817

Minnesota is a better team this year. They are a little weak defensively, but I suspect that's primarily because they are real young back there.

They have some players like Haula, Bjugstad and Rau who can put the puck in the net, and they're playing with a lot of confidence. It is not going to be an easy series for the Sioux in a few weeks, and I could easily see MN with a top 3 finish in the WCHA this year.

On another topic, it looks like our players have a "stalker" in the form of a kid from Minnesota who attends UND. I saw this thread on GPL the other day. I STRONGLY recommend against going on GPL to troll or respond to that thread, since drawing a response from Sioux fans is clearly the intent, but it is a pretty funny read.

http://www.gopherpuc...hp?f=22&t=10817

Its a funny thread. Sounds like some fans may have some fun with Grimaldi in a few weeks. :)

Its a funny thread. Sounds like some fans may have some fun with Grimaldi in a few weeks. :)

Yeah, I guess it is part of the rivalry, but if you get in trouble like Frattin you're an idiot, and if you have a strong sense of morality you're also an idiot. How do you win. I guess I would tend to focus on the Nate Hagemo and Jerrod Reinholz's before I would focus on kids with character.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I guess it is part of the rivalry, but if you get in trouble like Frattin you're an idiot, and if you have a strong sense of morality you're also an idiot. How do you win. I guess I would tend to focus on the Nate Hagemo and Jerrod Reinholz's before I would focus on kids with character.

Having a strong sense of morality is fine. But being sexist, judgemental, and telling women how to dress is not. Grimaldi is basically Rick Santorum in a Sioux uniform.