SiouxSports.com Forum

Someone please explain!

bigskyvikes

Another thing that I wanted to bring up is there aren't as many people pumping the Gophers tires after they gave up a lead to the Vermont Catamounts.

It's obvious that the Minnesota Gophers are better this season, Rau is good but he was hammered every chance that Vermont got. Also, your going to get hammered if you celebrate every goal like you wont the Stanley Cup. If I was a coach in the WCHA I would have that game on DVR. That was a text book win by Vermont today. The Catamounts got in the Gophers grill and they started taking a bunch of penalties.

I don't think it will matter as Thompson and his three penalties won't be around much more this year. Gophers win 6-0 on Friday and then make 3 lineup changes? Why...why...why....if it ain't broke don't fix it. I will give credit to Vermont. Played a much better game, capitalized on their chances and goaded Thompson and Ambroz into dumb penalties that cost them dearly.

I don't think it will matter as Thompson and his three penalties won't be around much more this year. Gophers win 6-0 on Friday and then make 3 lineup changes? Why...why...why....if it ain't broke don't fix it. I will give credit to Vermont. Played a much better game, capitalized on their chances and goaded Thompson and Ambroz into dumb penalties that cost them dearly.

I think it's funny how Gopher fans all want to throw Thompson under the bus but what about Seth Helgeson, he acted like a douche nozzle as well and cost his team by taking a penalty at a horrible time. Yet they want to call the freshman out.

I guess I don't have a major problem with getting excited about scoring goals. I would have concern if the players weren't getting excited. After Minnesota players didn't seem to care in the past, I think they will take a guy who will stick his nose in there and get excited in various situations. As long as he isn't jersey popping and getting in the opponents face after scoring, I have no problem with it. Remember Blood after his goal against Maine? I even think he gave the Maine player a shout in the penalty box for the shot he took at Blood's head. Yes, Blood doesn't score that much and it was basically the winning goal, but excitement about any goal I don't have a problem with, unless you are down by 5 in the third period. We haven't even had the chance to see Grimaldi celebrate yet. Heck he might go Theo Fleury on us and ride his stick down the ice for all we know, but I doubt it.

I guess I don't have a major problem with getting excited about scoring goals. I would have concern if the players weren't getting excited. After Minnesota players didn't seem to care in the past, I think they will take a guy who will stick his nose in there and get excited in various situations. As long as he isn't jersey popping and getting in the opponents face after scoring, I have no problem with it. Remember Blood after his goal against Maine? I even think he gave the Maine player a shout in the penalty box for the shot he took at Blood's head. Yes, Blood doesn't score that much and it was basically the winning goal, but excitement about any goal I don't have a problem with, unless you are down by 5 in the third period. We haven't even had the chance to see Grimaldi celebrate yet. Heck he might go Theo Fleury on us and ride his stick down the ice for all we know, but I doubt it.

There is a difference between being happy and celebrating and the over the top and in your face celebrations that a program to the south is famous for.

Rau scored goal 4 and simply raised his arms yesterday. What a punk! Seriously though the kid plays hard and goes to the net and corners, you guys would love to have him. He may get decapitated this year though.

That was one of his more mild celebrations. Seen much, much worse from him. I don't have a problem with the kid - nice kid. I just think he over celebrates his goals. Keep it up and he will get killed if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

Why wouldn't you call the freshman out? He had three penalties and completely lost his composure. The whole team fell asleep but Thompson was trash and shouldve been charting shots.

I think to blame him solely for the loss is a bit much since hockey is a team game and Seth Helgeson took a moronic penalty that led to a power play as well. I personally liked Thompson's fire and the kid is going to learn.

lol complaining about goal celebrations..really? He's an 18 year old kid straight out of high school, why not get excited? You just seem like a real douche nozzle for ripping on an 18 year old for being excited about scoring some goals. Have you watched ALEX OVECHKIN? The guy goes nuts after every goal he scores and he's the one of the greatest goal scorers in the history of the sport! Anyone that complains about goal celebrations is just plain stupid. Pop your jersey, do whatever you want. The only thing I would frown upon is yelling at an opponent or purposely going to celebrate in front of their bench.

It's not like it's soccer where they do backflips, take their jersey off and flop around like a fish.

lol complaining about goal celebrations..really? He's an 18 year old kid straight out of high school, why not get excited? You just seem like a real douche nozzle for ripping on an 18 year old for being excited about scoring some goals.

Here is a perfect illustration watch Oshie as he talks to Danny Kristo about celebrations at the 2:34 mark. I know it's humor but there is a good message, it's about sportsmanship act like you've been there before. Not every goal needs to have this huge celebration.

Edited by Goon

Here is a perfect illustration watch Oshie as he talks to Danny Kristo about celebrations at the 2:34 mark. I know it's humor but there is a good message, it's about sportsmanship act like you've been there before. Not every goal needs to have this huge celebration.

So after 6 games you expect him to just not be excited anymore? That's how TJ Oshie celebrates, good for him. How is it sportsmanship to be excited? So you're saying everytime the Sioux score this year and do something more than skate to the boards, lift their arms and hug their team mates I can take the video, put it on here and complain about a lack of sportsmanship?

Just stupid...

Seeing celebrations that show excitement are fun! If a Sioux player did this you know darn well you would laugh and enjoy it. You should think the same about every player when they score, even if you dont like the team.

Edit: Ok that one may be a little over the top, but it's still fun and enjoyable and you know you would love it if a sioux player did that haha

Well the kid has a total of 6 goals in his college career, there's not exactly a whole lot to go off. He hasn't popped a jersey or disrespected an opponent yet. And as I said, yesterday he scored a big goal to put the team within one and he simply raised his arms. He has been leveled a number of times already, he gets back up and goes right back at it. He got destroyed on Friday night and practically got tossed in the bench yesterday but he never quits.

Like I said Goon, the whole team fell asleep for a time yesterday. The loss isn't on Thompson but he did play a huge role in the L. Parenteau is a better option and I highly doubt Thompson will be making the trip to Alaska this weekend.

Seeing celebrations that show excitement are fun! If a Sioux player did this you know darn well you would laugh and enjoy it. You should think the same about every player when they score, even if you don't like the team.

Edit: Ok that one may be a little over the top, but it's still fun and enjoyable and you know you would love it if a Sioux player did that haha

Wow, if you want to talk about Goofers goals there is a love feast fan page for them... You mentioned Ovie, yep, while he is the best player in the NHL or one of them his celebrations will entertaining are way over the top, some have likened them to Soccer players. The Gophers are notoriously famous for their over the top and over celebrations, Brian Bonin was one of the worst of all time. It's called sportsmanship and also about acting like you have been there before. The Reason Rau has been pounded might be because of his celebrations on the ice.

I can't wait till Rau gets rocked by a Sioux hockey player in a couple of weeks and then we are going to have to listen to how the Sioux are dirty and targeting Rau... Blah, Blah, Blah... I think other teams will study the tape of Friday's game and probably play the Gophers the same way. Take body hard on them get bodies in front of the net and get under the Gopher players skin. Seth Helgeson lost it yesterday as well.

Like I said Goon, the whole team fell asleep for a time yesterday. The loss isn't on Thompson but he did play a huge role in the L. Parenteau is a better option and I highly doubt Thompson will be making the trip to Alaska this weekend.

Like I said, I like Thompson's fire, I think he will be a decent hockey player. Notice he wasn't hiding behind a ref and punching an opponent like the hack wearing number 4 does.

I should probably mention that I am not a huge fan of celebrations, especially when the player needs to be chased down by his teammates to celebrate together, but I think you are splitting hairs when you determine that it is o.k. for certain occasions and not for others. You could argue that players that get excited for every goal might have a level of intensity that others don't, or you could argue that they are seeking the glory for themselves. It depends on how you look at it. If someone could post a video of the celebration they deem excessive, then we have a standard to go by -- and I would bet when you have that standard, you could find celebrations by Sioux players that are similar. If it is the number of celebrations, then who decides you can celebrate a lot here, but not there?

Gopher players could score, dance around, skate over to the opponent's bench, point to the scoreboard and it would be half as over the top as "Here is your UND Fighting Sioux Scooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring." Especially at the Final Five.

Gopher players could score, dance around, skate over to the opponent's bench, point to the scoreboard and it would be half as over the top as "Here is your UND Fighting Sioux Scooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring." Especially at the Final Five.

how did you make that Scoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo go off of the page like that.

But the maroon & gold "jersey pop" tops them all!