SiouxSports.com Forum

Someone please explain!

bigskyvikes

I will absolutely agree with you on that. None of the rest of it bothers me - pump your fist, slam into the boards, slide you hand on the ice. But I don't like the jersey pop - too NBA for me.

Not sure why the jersey pop celebration bothers Sioux fans. Jersey popping started in college basketball where a player would bring attention to the team name on the front of the jersey, simply showing pride in their name. Sioux fans have always looked at this as a "look at me" selfish type of celebration when in fact the opposite is true. Its showing TEAM pride, thats all.

Not sure why the jersey pop celebration bothers Sioux fans. Jersey popping started in college basketball where a player would bring attention to the team name on the front of the jersey, simply showing pride in their name. Sioux fans have always looked at this as a "look at me" selfish type of celebration when in fact the opposite is true. Its showing TEAM pride, thats all.

If that is true, why doesn't Minnesota still do it? I would bet the Minnesota coaches directed the players that it wasn't the best sportsmanship. Could be wrong, but usually when something like that gets started, it doesn't disappear quickly unless it was frowned upon.

• Upvote 2

I will absolutely agree with you on that. None of the rest of it bothers me - pump your fist, slam into the boards, slide you hand on the ice. But I don't like the jersey pop - too NBA for me.

Simple Solution:

Don't let the other team score.

Problem Solved.

• Upvote 1

If that is true, why doesn't Minnesota still do it? I would bet the Minnesota coaches directed the players that it wasn't the best sportsmanship. Could be wrong, but usually when something like that gets started, it doesn't disappear quickly unless it was frowned upon.

BINGO!!!!! Bucky nailed it.

BINGO!!!!! Bucky nailed it.

Sportsmanship? Like Jake Brandt taunting our student section? Like Finley trying to start a fight during post game handshakes? Or Hakstol flipping off a ref? Or Hakstol sending Zach Jones out on the ice for the sole purpose of starting a fight with Tony Lucia?

Sportsmanship? Like Jake Brandt taunting our student section? Like Finley trying to start a fight during post game handshakes? Or Hakstol flipping off a ref? Or Hakstol sending Zach Jones out on the ice for the sole purpose of starting a fight with Tony Lucia?

I'd take all those things over popping a jersey. :p furthermore, it's not like MN didn't have a part in 2 of the 4 you listed.

This about sums it up.

• Upvote 2

First I have no idea about this Brandt incident that you talk about, second I have heard that Blake Wheeler was running his mouth in the hand shake line and that why Finely pulled him out. Hakstol has been beaten to death... Lastly, Tony Lucia had it coming, he butt ended Evan Trupp in front of the Sioux bench earlier in the game and I believe; didn't Lucia agree to fight Jones and then ran and hid behind the ref at the last moment? Maybe someone else can help me out here.

Edited by Goon

The opposing goalie taunted the student section? Wow, that must have been very traumatic for you . :)

• Upvote 2

I think everybody can agree that participants on both sides have shown poor sportsmanship on occasions. I think fans of both sides are guilty as well. But you are suggesting that something that creates some of that bitterness between the rivals is for school pride, when it is more of an instigating factor. There is a reason you don't see it much in pro or college hockey, and it isn't because teams don't take pride in their team, it is because you most likely would have to answer to it. Let's hope it doesn't make a comeback.

Maybe he is referring to lammy firing the puck into the stands. Or was it parise....whatever. Rau is none of that nor has he shown any of that nor has any current gopher. Case closed.

Wrong. Your such a young cub. Back at the old REA Gophers players use to shoot pucks into the student stands before the games started.

But of course you wouldn't know. There was no message boards back then. :silly:

I think everybody can agree that participants on both sides have shown poor sportsmanship on occasions. I think fans of both sides are guilty as well. But you are suggesting that something that creates some of that bitterness between the rivals is for school pride, when it is more of an instigating factor. There is a reason you don't see it much in pro or college hockey, and it isn't because teams don't take pride in their team, it is because you most likely would have to answer to it. Let's hope it doesn't make a comeback.

This is a a fairly long standing college hockey rivalry! Of course there are going to be episodes of poor sportsmanship from time to time. I feel that for the most part this is an enjoyable and well fought rivalry, one we should all enjoy and quit focusing on the negatives. There are many more positives to focus on. So what if things get a little crazy sometimes - THAT'S SPORTS!

This is a a fairly long standing college hockey rivalry! Of course there are going to be episodes of poor sportsmanship from time to time. I feel that for the most part this is an enjoyable and well fought rivalry, one we should all enjoy and quit focusing on the negatives. There are many more positives to focus on. So what if things get a little crazy sometimes - THAT'S SPORTS!

I agree, that is why I don't see the fuss over a player who likes to celebrate his goals, especially since it isn't an in-your-face celebration to the opponent. Considering some of the examples of poor sportsmanship that have already been put forth, celebrating goals, or even a bit of over celebration pales in comparison.

First I have no idea about this Brandt incident that you talk about, second I have heard that Blake Wheeler was running his mouth in the hand shake line and that why Finely pulled him out. Hakstol has been beaten to death... Lastly, Tony Lucia had it coming, he butt ended Evan Trupp in front of the Sioux bench earlier in the game and I believe; didn't Lucia agree to fight Jones and then ran and hid behind the ref at the last moment? Maybe someone else can help me out here.

everything you're saying is completely opinionated. You act like it was major news. And everyone, including 95% of sioux fans i talk to agree that the handshake thing was on Finley, he was always known as the big dumb guy in the sioux lineup. Many people i know hated him because all he did was take stupid penalties. Plus he knows he is on tv when he's playing Minnesota, that's something you don't do on tv. From what you see on the tape you can't blame anyone but Finley. If college hockey had a head disciplinarian like the NHL Finley would have been the one that got suspended for all of that because that's what the tape shows.

I was at a party one time that he was at while he was a sophomore and he was walking around with his hockey helmet on headbutting walls and poles as hard as he could lol. Many friends of mine had class with him and had said Finley was talking all week before that series about fighting someone, i'd have to guess Wheeler was the one he really wanted so he tried to make it happen. That, along with everything you said, can't be proven. There's no factual evidence to back it up, it's just a biased opinion on the matter.

Just like everyone on campus knows, heard, that Kristo was drunk, underage mind you, last year when he went outside without shoes. I have friends that were at the party with him before he did it, but it can't be proven factually so you can't say that's what it was.

everything you're saying is completely opinionated. You act like it was major news. And everyone, including 95% of sioux fans i talk to agree that the handshake thing was on Finley, he was always known as the big dumb guy in the sioux lineup. Many people i know hated him because all he did was take stupid penalties. Plus he knows he is on tv when he's playing Minnesota, that's something you don't do on tv. From what you see on the tape you can't blame anyone but Finley. If college hockey had a head disciplinarian like the NHL Finley would have been the one that got suspended for all of that because that's what the tape shows.

So what you're saying isn't opinionated? Two polar opposites that aren't going to agree on this point. Fine, such is life. I can tell you that when it happened, I was told buy someone that had a kid that was on the team that Wheeler said something to Finley in the hand shake line and that's why Joe pulled him out of line. If that was true and I believe that person than Wheeler would be at fault as well. You sound like you've been drinking the Gorg Kool Aid...

I was at a party one time that he was at while he was a sophomore and he was walking around with his hockey helmet on headbutting walls and poles as hard as he could lol.

I have heard many of the same rumbling about him. Look, I am not an apologist for Joe Finley...

Edited by Goon

I was at a party one time that he was at while he was a sophomore and he was walking around with his hockey helmet on headbutting walls and poles as hard as he could lol. Many friends of mine had class with him and had said Finley was talking all week before that series about fighting someone, i'd have to guess Wheeler was the one he really wanted so he tried to make it happen. That, along with everything you said, can't be proven. There's no factual evidence to back it up, it's just a biased opinion on the matter.

Just like everyone on campus knows, heard, that Kristo was drunk, underage mind you, last year when he went outside without shoes. I have friends that were at the party with him before he did it, but it can't be proven factually so you can't say that's what it was.

95% of Sioux fans? Surely you can come up with a better lie than that!

Joe has a younger sister whom he loves very much who is severely handicapped. Wheeler used the handshake line to spout some BS comments about Joe's younger sister and Joe would have none of it. I think you could say something about anyone else in the Finley family, and Joe would let it slide, but you don't say something about his sister.

I completely condone what Joe did in that situation, and any one of you would have reacted the same way if you were him.

• Upvote 4