SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

I don't think Rob and Star are the same person.

I don't think they are the same person. I thought I remember star posting about things to come in the SayAnything blog before he stopped posting. I don't think he was Rob but there is more than one author/contributor to that blog.

Star doesn't even live near North Dakota. He lives in the South somewhere, like North Carolina. Probably the only thing Star and Rob have in common is they both wanted to expose "the truth" and expend ever chance to save the nickname.

SayAnything primary topics are Republican politics and small government.

I think he probably got tired of this site, unfortunately, and is taking a "breather." Like PCM did.

Seems like WAC should merge with Sun Belt, like the MWC and CUSA have merged.

Potential conference:

Boise St (WAC non-fball) - Idaho (WAC fball)

Seattle (WAC non-fball) - San Jose St (WAC fball)

Denver (WAC non-fball) - New Mexico St (WAC fball)

Utah St (WAC fball)

Texas San Antonio (WAC fball) - Texas St (WAC fball)

Texas Arlington (WAC non-ball) - North Texas (SB fball)

Louisiana Tech (WAC fball)

Louisiana Monroe (SB fball) - Louisiana Laf (SB fball)

UALR (SB non-fball) - Ark St (SB fball)

Mid Tenn (SB fball) - W Kentucky (SB fball)

South Alabama (SB fball) - Troy (SB fball)

Fla Intl (SB fball) - Fla Atl (SB fball)

Seems like WAC should merge with Sun Belt, like the MWC and CUSA have merged.

Potential conference:

Boise St (WAC non-fball) - Idaho (WAC fball)

Seattle (WAC non-fball) - San Jose St (WAC fball)

Denver (WAC non-fball) - New Mexico St (WAC fball)

Utah St (WAC fball)

Texas San Antonio (WAC fball) - Texas St (WAC fball)

Texas Arlington (WAC non-ball) - North Texas (SB fball)

Louisiana Tech (WAC fball)

Louisiana Monroe (SB fball) - Louisiana Laf (SB fball)

UALR (SB non-fball) - Ark St (SB fball)

Mid Tenn (SB fball) - W Kentucky (SB fball)

South Alabama (SB fball) - Troy (SB fball)

Fla Intl (SB fball) - Fla Atl (SB fball)

I think Benson is poach LA Tech, and a couple of Texas based teams from the WAC but will stop short of a full merger. Odds are FIU, UNT, and MTSU will end up in the C-USA/MWC Alliance.

You could be correct, but I don't think LA Tech wants anything to do with Monroe, Lafayette and the Sun Belt.

I absolutely agree with you, they don't. However, they may not have a choice once the C-USA/ MWC Alliance poaches Utah St. and SJSU from the WAC. I believe that the Alliance is looking to add schools with viable media markets and if that's the case LA Tech will get passed over.

I absolutely agree with you, they don't. However, they may not have a choice once the C-USA/ MWC Alliance poaches Utah St. and SJSU from the WAC. I believe that the Alliance is looking to add schools with viable media markets and if that's the case LA Tech will get passed over.

Agreed, they also have an extremely low athletic budget (15 - 16M / year) which is not very appealing. For comparison purposes only UND outspends them by a couple million.

I could see Utah St as an attempt to reclaim some attention from SLC, but with Boise and San Diego potentially staying in the MWC - does not seem like SJ would be welcomed by Fresno and San Diego.

I hadn't heard about Boise and San Diego potentially staying put. Not sure why Boise would give up AQ status, unless they are concerned about housing their olympic sports in the event that the WAC folds.

AQ status is dead. BCS conferences want to kill it to prevent all these "radical" conference realignments, ie, they want to prevent Big East from adding San Diego and Boise just for the sake of preserving the AQ.

The conference champion of the Big East football conference is no longer going to have an automatic slot in the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar or Orange bowl anymore. Those bowls will go back to how it was before the Bowl Alliance and will probably contract with the big conferences to fill their slots for New Year's day games.

And those bowls are just fine with that. They won't have to potentially give slots away to Big East teams or non-AQ teams that don't sell tickets to the bowls, don't travel well and don't draw large TV numbers.

AQ status is dead. BCS conferences want to kill it to prevent all these "radical" conference realignments, ie, they want to prevent Big East from adding San Diego and Boise just for the sake of preserving the AQ.

The conference champion of the Big East football conference is no longer going to have an automatic slot in the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar or Orange bowl anymore. Those bowls will go back to how it was before the Bowl Alliance and will probably contract with the big conferences to fill their slots for New Year's day games.

And those bowls are just fine with that. They won't have to potentially give slots away to Big East teams or non-AQ teams that don't sell tickets to the bowls, don't travel well and don't draw large TV numbers.

This is big news if true (BE sucks and doesn't deserve an auto bid). Where did you hear about this???

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading about the rumor of Butler leaving the Horizon for the Atlantic 10. Typically when someone leaves the Horizon they pillage the Summit. I've always heard that Detroit would nix Oakland from getting in, but do they have the votes and clout to do that with Butler leaving?

I have read on message boards that NDSU pines for the Missouri Valley, but wouldn't the rock solid stable MVC pick the South Dakota schools (geography) before heading north to NDSU?

With Butler now leaving, would NDSU be a good fit for the Horizon? They would have MVFC member Youngstown there and a step up from the Summit..

I have been reading about the rumor of Butler leaving the Horizon for the Atlantic 10. Typically when someone leaves the Horizon they pillage the Summit. I've always heard that Detroit would nix Oakland from getting in, but do they have the votes and clout to do that with Butler leaving?

I have read on message boards that NDSU pines for the Missouri Valley, but wouldn't the rock solid stable MVC pick the South Dakota schools (geography) before heading north to NDSU?

With Butler now leaving, would NDSU be a good fit for the Horizon? They would have MVFC member Youngstown there and a step up from the Summit..

I wouldn't think NDSU would get into the MVC due to the crappy garage they play in. Once the new BSA is built then they should talk about leaving the Summit but they haven't even got the funds for that yet. As for the Horizon...wouldn't travel be a problem. (I am sure to Bison fans it wouldn't be since they were ready to pack for the BSC twice). But distance from Fargo to Green Bay and Milwaukee is the closest cities...500 miles to Green Bay and 571 to Milwaukee. If they make fun of us traveling thoughout the BSC...this would be no picnic for them.

• 2 weeks later...

More rumblins about Youngstown, Oakland, and i think IUPUI moving around...time for NDAC to pay the exit fee and head west with us? For UND's sake having NDAC as the 12th BSC school would be better than Idaho as far as UND needing a travel partner. Also when FCS football is raided in the next ten years (or less) UND, NDAC, UM, and MSU need to be a take all or take none alliance.

why couldn't have sanford health just bought out the clowns at altru and thrown ten million at und for the new "Sanford Athlectic Center" and just been done with it...someone wrote on here that altru doesn't have the cash now that they bought/rented the doctors hospital so that money is a long time comin now for und and it indoor practice facility.

• Upvote 1

More rumblins about Youngstown, Oakland, and i think IUPUI moving around...time for NDAC to pay the exit fee and head west with us? For UND's sake having NDAC as the 12th BSC school would be better than Idaho as far as UND needing a travel partner. Also when FCS football is raided in the next ten years (or less) UND, NDAC, UM, and MSU need to be a take all or take none alliance.

why couldn't have sanford health just bought out the clowns at altru and thrown ten million at und for the new "Sanford Athlectic Center" and just been done with it...someone wrote on here that altru doesn't have the cash now that they bought/rented the doctors hospital so that money is a long time comin now for und and it indoor practice facility.

NDAC in the BSC?? No way..Lakes will have them packed up and ready to go MAC bound by the end of the year...or is it MVC bound? I forget which conferences those Bison fans are crying for.

The only thing we can do is be ready for what is best for US when the time comes. I think SiouxFan is right in that 10 years time FCS football may be an equivilant to what DII football is now. I just get the feeling that FCS is not the final solution. Any thoughts?

The only thing we can do is be ready for what is best for US when the time comes. I think SiouxFan is right in that 10 years time FCS football may be an equivilant to what DII football is now. I just get the feeling that FCS is not the final solution. Any thoughts?

Maybe UND will start a FBS study when our contract is up at the Alerus. Maybe by then UND will have the IPF and an idea what to do about Memorial Stadium.

• Upvote 1

If Oakland, Youngstown, IUPUI and Oral Roberts all left their leagues even diehard Bison fans would be yearning for the Big Sky.

Oral Roberts and Sourthern Utah are leaving the Summit for Southland and Big Sky, respectively. Those are finished deals.

If Butler leaves the Horizon for the A10, you could see any of Oakland, IUPUI and IPFW leave the Summit for the Horizon. Not sure if it would be one, two or all of those schools.

The rest of the Summit consists of Western Illinois and five schools in the interstate 29 corridor from Kansas City to Fargo. Getting a partner for Western Illinois would be a good step to take, regardless. I would love to try plucking Eastern Illinois from the OVC, but that would only be possibly if they could play football in the MVFC.

Have not heard anything about Youngstown leaving the Horizon or MVFC, but neither move would pose much concern for NDSU and might actually open the MVFC door for a potential new Summit member that plays football.

I think it would be interesting data to see how many schools in DII and FCS actually bring in more revenue than the cost of the scholarships given to players on the team. My intuition is that the percentage of FCS teams that bring in more revenue than it costs them in scholarships is no higher than DII.