SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

I think you can structure a poll and often times get your desired results.  McF’s desire is to show the folly of an FBS move.  One could surmise that if an FBS move was as an independent, it would be the kiss of death, an thus a very unfavorable response.

if however, the poll listed specific FBS conferences for moving to, the responses would have been much more favorable.  Put the MWC or the AAC specifically in the poll (not that it would happen), and watch the favorability grow exponentially.

So, that poll means nothing.

1 minute ago, Herd said:

I think you can structure a poll and often times get your desired results.  McF’s desire is to show the folly of an FBS move.  One could surmise that if an FBS move was as an independent, it would be the kiss of death, an thus a very unfavorable response.

if however, the poll listed specific FBS conferences for moving to, the responses would have been much more favorable.  Put the MWC or the AAC specifically in the poll (not that it would happen), and watch the favorability grow exponentially.

So, that poll means nothing.

I still believe that the massive expansion of the ASUN conference will happen by it accepting many CAA schools like JMU, Delaware, Stony Brook, and other schools like NCA&T and Jax St.  Those new schools would get their own autobid for mbb and be a football league with FBS status.  But this is mostly just laughed at on message boards.

But the ASun Commissioner verifies the football side (but doesn’t mention FBS) on this video.

The CAA is almost at an impasse about doing anything including expansion or any kind of change and JMU and others want to move up with the rivals of their choosing..  The CAA has lost Old Dominion, VCU, ECU, Richmond mbb and others and there been big disagreement over how to proceed.  The ASun;’s plan woild allow second collection of schools to have their own mbb autobid and evade that CAA blockade against FBS.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

This could tie into the ASun, which I think wants HE's CAA teams, so put all the schools sports under them.  The CAA and ASun are in an effective war right now IMHO.

Everytime i see a post in this thread... all i can think is it being narrated in the Oak Island voice...

"Could it be?..... That brothers Rick....and Marty Lagina..... have unearthed a brick from the 1600s that once might have been a part of a 25,000 seat stadium?... And is it possible that stadium will be used by the local tech college in their D1 transition?"

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Everytime i see a post in this thread... all i can think is it being narrated in the Oak Island voice...

"Could it be?..... That brothers Rick....and Marty Lagina..... have unearthed a brick from the 1600s that once might have been a part of a 25,000 seat stadium?... And is it possible that stadium will be used by the local tech college in their D1 transition?"

:lol:

This sounds funny, but I don't know what the Oak Island voice is.  Hopefully that isn't embarrassing to admit.

"One more will have to die!"

Mhttps://www.greensboro.com/sports/college/ncat/a-t-will-leave-meac-for-big-south-conference-source/article_827f910e-c4eb-5815-8821-1ed75cf66272.html#6

NC A&T to the Big South

A&T must have rejected FBS

The MEAC seems like the walking dead conference, losing both Hampton and A&T to the Big South.

The MEAC has so many impoverished schools now.

18 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Mhttps://www.greensboro.com/sports/college/ncat/a-t-will-leave-meac-for-big-south-conference-source/article_827f910e-c4eb-5815-8821-1ed75cf66272.html#6

NC A&T to the Big South

A&T must have rejected FBS

The MEAC seems like the walking dead conference, losing both Hampton and A&T to the Big South.

The MEAC has so many impoverished schools now.

But why would a team reject FBS when there are billions to be made, if they just move up by the 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 deadline!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, southpaw said:

But why would a team reject FBS when there are billions to be made, if they just move up by the 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 deadline!

Are you and cberkas the boys from Oak Island?

The ASun would have to invite NC A&T and it wouldn't be worth billions as you say.

Some local ramifications of the NC A&T move.  The Big South is only in three states, while the MEAC is all the way for Maryland/Delaware to Florida.

The MEAC takes a major drop in self esteem losing A&T, which is the largest public HBCU and relatively strong academics.  Some say NC Central and Howard will leave for the Big South too, as that would further help rivalries.

The MEAC could loose its NCAA bid unless it gets the Alabama schools, A&M and Alabama State.

https://www.greensboro.com/sports/columns/ed-hardin-a-t-prepares-to-leave-behind-history-and/article_89412368-6a97-53d2-9cca-e58f8ce3bdaf.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

On 2/6/2020 at 8:46 AM, Frozen4sioux said:

He is also the ancient aliens narrator as well. 

I believe CUSA will also split in two (East-West) liKe the ASun is doing, but later.  Each new conference would only need seven members, but for two CFP contracts they then need eight FBS members.  If the East takes UMass or Liberty and the West takes NMSU, both Conferences will get full CFP  payments.  Previously had said conference can split like the Big East did, but several posters said the Big East was reserved that right because it was so prestigious, not because the NCAA had preexisting rules.  2025 is the key year.

So U of New Haven is moving to DI.

https://mobile.twitter.com/currenrr/status/1226712113873399808

New Haven hired the former AD at Kansas and has been wanting DI for some time.

It dropped fb years ago and doesn’t have ice hockey.

An NEC expansion would be wise, as when the ASun poaches the some northern CAA schools, the resulting poaching the Northeast will be intense and hit the lowest rated conferences worse.

This is merely an illustration to show how far schools seek out conferences if they don’t have autobids.  UC-Sant Cruz just joined a national DIII conference with schools in Michigan (Finlandia), Wisconsin, NY, PA, and MA.  It was DIII homeless schools like the Great West that joined together.  DIII doesn’t require eight years of waiting for autobids.

https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2019/07/16/uc-santa-cruz-athletics-joins-acaa-conference-for-2019-2020-season/

UCSC, which just established their athletic department, went to great lengths to get an autobid.

Youngstown St is adding women’s lax next year and will be an affiliate in the MAC for it.

https://www.thejambar.com/ysu-womens-lacrosse-added-joins-the-mac/

Kinda expect YSU to become a member of the northern division of the ASun when they expand by ten as Tressel has long wanted FBS.

Expact all football playing members of the Summit will also add women”s lax when it happens.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:01 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Just knew this post would get rejections from posters.  

The intimate seating with a track around the fb field?  How does that make intimate?

Rented bleachers can get set up along three sides, so the cost goes to expenses, not capital.  It says they will get temporary seating “at least” on occasion.

Once the significance of the move sets in,  another permanent expansion can be done.

If EWU was going to stay FCS, the cheapest thing to do is nothing as FCS has no payout.  EWU wants a piece of the CFP,  bigger opponent payouts and vastly expanded media attention that comes with FBS. 

Just wait until the faculty find out EWU is adding thousands of seats and millions of dollars in expenses: https://www.inlander.com/spokane/ewu-faculty-write-report-suggesting-cuts-to-athletics-budget-or-even-eliminating-it-entirely/Content?oid=19099082

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

Just wait until the faculty find out EWU is adding thousands of seats and millions of dollars in expenses: https://www.inlander.com/spokane/ewu-faculty-write-report-suggesting-cuts-to-athletics-budget-or-even-eliminating-it-entirely/Content?oid=19099082

This gives me flashbacks to that UND prof on the IAC saying that UND should move down to D2...

Update from Jeff Kolpack on the St. Thomas situation.

St. Thomas' D-I move looking promising

Look for the normal four-year reclassification from Division II to Division I to hold true for St. Thomas, with room for more legislation in case any other Division III wants to make the D-I move. NDSU athletic director Matt Larsen said St. Thomas cleared the first hurdle at the NCAA convention in January and that’s about as much as he currently knows about the issue.