SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

34 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

At some point here wouldn't it make sense for all the MVFC teams to align the rest of their sports together and form an all sports conference?

The valley teams would probably rather drop football than do that. 

Since UND is joining the Summit League in 2018 I compared it to the MVC in MBB this past year.  Granted, the MVC was technically down and won't always look like this but they might not ever have a 16th rank team again, either.

Take out Wichita State (since they are probably leaving for the AAC) and you end up with an average Massey ranking of:

MVC = 189

Summit = 199

(FWIW, UND is ranked 121)

Summit.JPG.0b0b6cee8a3b822d5824bc2bef447f86.JPG   MVC.JPG.0cbc58dd4eee9300dbac627346c57fa7.JPG

Is that worth flying every sport to tough locales?  

If Creighton and Wichita were still around an invite would be pretty cool and might actually be fairly lucrative.  

58 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

At some point here wouldn't it make sense for all the MVFC teams to align the rest of their sports together and form an all sports conference?

The MVC.has nearly 20 dance credits while the Slummit has one over the minimum of six.  Until those expire, nothing happens.  Those credits are why Drake can pay $400k to their coach.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

ESPN reports that a Shocker move to the AAC will happen soon.

Matt Zimmer of the SF Argus Leader says SDSU won't abandon the SF Slummit tournament for the MVC but NDSU night.

That doesn't even make sense...  SDSU would not give up the Summit for MVC and Arch Madness.

2 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Since UND is joining the Summit League in 2018 I compared it to the MVC in MBB this past year.  Granted, the MVC was technically down and won't always look like this but they might not ever have a 16th rank team again, either.

Take out Wichita State (since they are probably leaving for the AAC) and you end up with an average Massey ranking of:

MVC = 189

Summit = 199

(FWIW, UND is ranked 121)

Summit.JPG.0b0b6cee8a3b822d5824bc2bef447f86.JPG   MVC.JPG.0cbc58dd4eee9300dbac627346c57fa7.JPG

Is that worth flying every sport to tough locales?  

If Creighton and Wichita were still around an invite would be pretty cool and might actually be fairly lucrative.  

Don't you know it's all about RPI 

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

The UNI board is pushing for NDSU and SDSU.  The MVC will go east or north to Milwaukee though, where there is TV markets and actual recruiting.

Is NDSU prepared to make basketball their primary sport?   

If salaries increase for men's basketball, how much do they increase for every other sport?  

2 hours ago, zonadub said:

Here's an off-the-wall thought... 

What about Omaha? They have Creighton's market and the best RPI in the Summit. 

Didn't you (Sioux Volley) say that Belmont would be a front-runner if the MVC had an opening?

There was a recent Chatanooga newspaper article that said Belmont is talking with the SoCon.  The SoCon has numerous private schools and they miss the bball power of Davidson.  Belmont wants and needs students that want to be a part of the Country and Christian music industry, as Belmont has deep connections to that Nashville scene.  NC, SC, GA, and AL have a lot of those type students. Belmont already has awareness in TN and KY so the OVC doesn't buy much, but needs more eastern recruiting for both athletes and students.  Belmont recently left the Horizon for the SoCon in men's soccer, and rebuffed interest from the MVC the last time when the MVC took Loyola.  Have no doubt the MVC wants Belmont, but there is no indication of the reverse.

1 hour ago, homer said:

Is NDSU prepared to make basketball their primary sport?   

If salaries increase for men's basketball, how much do they increase for every other sport?  

Mens Basketball is it.  Wichita St was a power in baseball and women's volleyball too.  UNI dropped baseball and the MVC will be short in that sport too.  The Horizon, Slummit, and MVC will all be borderline autobids if they lose their baseball autobids.  Dallas Baptist doesn't count as it isn't a full DI school, although it is a baseball power.  DBU could go to the WAC, which would have stronger programs.

If the Slummit loses NDSU, SDSU, W Ill, ORU or Omaha, it would be forced to get No Colo or have UND or USD restart their baseball programs or alternatively sponsor football.

I thought UMKC was re-joining the SL? Also would the SD board let SDSU split away from USD once again? I don't think NDSU is going anywhere, as for SDSU I think they are staying as long as SF continues to be the entrance way to the dance.

19 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I thought UMKC was re-joining the SL? Also would the SD board let SDSU split away from USD once again? I don't think NDSU is going anywhere, as for SDSU I think they are staying as long as SF continues to be the entrance way to the dance.

UMKC still doesn't have baseball, which the Slummit might just need if a baseball school gets an MVC invite.  UMKC avoided adding baseball by going to the WAC, which has baseball teams aplenty.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, mooncountry said:

Maybe I missed something reviewing Zimmer's tweets but I failed to see any comment on NDSU, only that SDSU would likely stay in the summit...

"SDSU would never give up the Summit League tournament to go to a Wichita-less Valley." @argusmattz

So will you give a guarantee that NDSU would not move to the MVC?

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

Travel would hurt, and you think maybe the SBoHE would say no. 

The SBOHE hasn't stopped NDSU from any conference in the past and hasn't pressured any conference to offer both schools to our knowledge.  But now the expectation is that each school would support the other, and not put up artificial roadblocks as I think NDSU and Geno Taylor have done in the past with the MVFC.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

The SBOHE hasn't stopped NDSU from any conference in the past and hasn't pressured any conference to offer both schools to our knowledge.  But now the expectation is that each school would support the other, and not put up artificial roadblocks as I think NDSU and Geno Taylor have done in the past with the MVFC.

Wasn't Pres. Chapman also involved in building that WALL on the north side of NDSU campus? 

39 minutes ago, mooncountry said:

Why do you deflect from the fact that you misrepresented Zimmer's tweet by pulling NDSU into the discussion when he only mentioned SDSU? 

He was asked a question if SDSU and NDSU were moving on to the MVC.  He only answered that SDSU wouldn't but left open the possibility that NDSU could by not answering.  Try better next time.

31 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

So let me guess.  In the remote chance that NDSU moved to the MVC, I assume the new group-think here would be that the Summit would not be a good fit for UND anymore right?  :0:glare:

It would still be a great fit, probably even better, the Bizon are arrogant and slipping. We joined for many better reasons rather than because the Aggies are in these conferences.  The SD's have there fill of MooU and are in a get even with them mode. Give you one example, last year the week of at the SD FB game, the Bye-son wanted to bring in their own TV network, SD didn't want to let them in, Bissons cried to the MVFC and they got their way, really pissed SD off. Their administration and ADept's aren't what they were like before they left Div II. Cow Cawledge thinks their cowsh$t don't stink and by the way isn't going anywhere, and needs to be taught some lessons and we'll be there to help.

You ever wonder why the U presidents of the Summit & MVFC all voted in favor of us joining? That would of never happened a year earlier! It got to the point where the Pres. B. couldn't be a lone vote against us, that would of been suicide for him and not good for SU in terms of ND legislative support.

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

It would still be a great fit, probably even better, the Bizon are arrogant and slipping. We joined for many better reasons rather than because the Aggies are in these conferences.  The SD's have there fill of MooU and are in a get even with them mode. Give you one example, last year the week of at the SD FB game, the Bye-son wanted to bring in their own TV network, SD didn't want to let them in, Bissons cried to the MVFC and they got their way, really pissed SD off. Their administration and ADept's aren't what they were like before they left Div II. Cow Cawledge thinks their cowsh$t don't stink and by the way isn't going anywhere, and needs to be taught some lessons and we'll be there to help.

You ever wonder why the U presidents of the Summit & MVFC all voted in favor of us joining? That would of never happened a year earlier! It got to the point where the Pres. B. couldn't be a lone vote against us, that would of been suicide for him and not good for SU in terms of ND legislative support.

Total BS post, but expect nothing more from you.  Lets see does UND have any of these:

Major BB wins?  NDSU has Wisc., Marquette and a win over OS in the big dance

P5 Football Wins? WY.     NDSU - to many to mention

NC for Football?    NDSU   5 straight

Sold out Dome for 7 straight years

Softball?   NDSU  many times to the NCAA's and got to the Sweet 16 one year

T&F - ?     NDSU conference champs since going DI

Budget ?  NDSU has almost the same but without  Hockey to support.

Coaches salaries?  Budget deficits?  - Well hell I could go on and on.

• Downvote 7

3 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

So let me guess.  In the remote chance that NDSU moved to the MVC, I assume the new group-think here would be that the Summit would not be a good fit for UND anymore right?  :0:glare:

Prefer Big Sky now. Would prefer Big Sky then.

however, if UND is in the Summit, prefer that NDSU is still there

and... don't think NDSU is going anywhere. doubt they get an invitation (other than the rumor of UNI support, who else would want to travel to Fargo). plus, the Summit (NCC 2.0) is actually looking like a stable and competitive conference.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Total BS post, but expect nothing more from you.  Lets see does UND have any of these:

Sounds like you didn't get a ticket for the game in Fargo?

38 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Image result for listen to me meme

• Upvote 2