SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

2 hours ago, Herd said:

Summit Ranking 16 of 34

Big Sky Ranking 27 of 34

Every major basketball analyst rips the RPI apart and basically laughs at it.  The Summit League uses it in promotional campaigns.  Can't imagine how many other conferences roll their eyes at them.

Yes, I know the Big Sky isn't good at basketball, we all got it.  But the RPI is a clusterf-ck and simply fun for rubes to try and get some sort of baseline on teams.

• Upvote 3

On 11/15/2015 at 9:23 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Idaho will be in the Big Sky for football in 2018.  The question is FBS or FCS.

Spear is just now fussing up.  Earlier Spear stated some of the BSC would like to go FBS.

Let me help you, the Big Sky is FCS.

51 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Number of bids to NCAA tournament:

Slummit: 1

Big Sky: 1

Care to revise your statement sir? :silly:

Let me point out that the SWAC and the MVC are also both 1 bid leagues.   You are trying to tell me that the quality of all 1 bid leagues are the same?

39 minutes ago, Herd said:

Let me point out that the SWAC and the MVC are also both 1 bid leagues.   You are trying to tell me that the quality of all 1 bid leagues are the same?

I am saying that RPI is not important if you are only getting one team in no matter what. It means much more if you are in the MVC.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gothmog said:

OK, but where's the evidence of any planning and due diligence going on at the Big Sky and MVFC schools you are suggesting will soon be moving? Even if Big Sky officials wanted to move up, they could not do so without approval from the schools involve. That approval would require a great deal of work on the part of each of those schools. Until you produce some evidence of that work happening, you're just making stuff up.

Spanos the Chargers owner and John Madden have made it clear that they want Cal Poly to move up.

UCDAVIS has gotten substantial donations to build out their stadium.

EWU has been getting estimates on building the Gateway stadium expansion.

Softball has been added as a 15th sport at many Big Sky schools.  Only one more sport to go for Title IX purposes.

A lot can be accomplished without the press noticing, especially if you don't tell them what your true intentions are.

2 hours ago, Herd said:

When is the Slummit becoming a two bid league?  Your RPI is worth a warm jar of piss right now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Softball has been added as a 15th sport at many Big Sky schools.  Only one more sport to go for Title IX purposes.

That's a great observation.

You only have to sponsor 14 for DI (FCS). You have to sponsor 16 for DI (FBS). 

In these budget tight times across the country, why would schools be adding programs? You can say "Title IX problems", sure. But you can balance that Title IX equation by methods other than adding womens programs (i.e. reallocating funding and resources within existing programs to balance the opportunities between men and women). 

Note: The Big Sky Conference sponsors ... 16 ... sports (7 men, 9 women). That aligns with not only FCS, but FBS, minimums. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Herd said:

MVC had 2 teams in the tournament last year....Northern Iowa and Wichita St.  SL and BSC will never have more than 1 team.

• Upvote 2

When is the Slummit becoming a two bid league?  Your RPI is worth a warm jar of piss right now.

I'd say in one bid leagues the RPI of the team that wins the conference tourney is more important than the RPI of the league.  

Two additional conference games for the Big Sky takes away opportunity to schedule valuable non conference games to help with RPI.  The conference could still help itself out by winning a few more nonconference.  

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Spanos the Chargers owner and John Madden have made it clear that they want Cal Poly to move up.

UCDAVIS has gotten substantial donations to build out their stadium.

EWU has been getting estimates on building the Gateway stadium expansion.

A lot can be accomplished without the press noticing, especially if you don't tell them what your true intentions are.

Again, show me some actual planning on the part of either the Big Sky, or its member schools. Until you do this is no more than wishful thinking, or perhaps apophenia.

16 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Again, show me some actual planning on the part of either the Big Sky, or its member schools. Until you do this is no more than wishful thinking, or perhaps apophenia.

You just see randomness, but the Presidents and Fullerton have actually divided into FBS and FCS camps.  Where was Chapman's plan for a DI move?  He didn't get a conference bid for what seemed like an eternity and when he applied anywhere was publicly rejected and humiliated.  

An FBS move for the Big Sky requires an NCAA rules change, which I freely admit.  Big Sky formal studies won't surface until after the NCAA makes rule changes.   It still two and half years before a Big Sky would enter anow FBS transition.   Why hasn't the Idaho Prez offered to give most of their CFP payout if Idaho is so desperate to stay FBS.  Could it be he wants Idaho to get evicted so the NCAA and P5 have an excuse to change the rules?

19 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

If UND can go FBS, it can sign games with Minnie, Iowa, or Wisconsin and have a home and home, with the Viking Stadiums being the rental home for UND.  Those games wouldn't cost anything for the BIG teams.  The western BIG and northern B12 are at a disadvantage because there is no G5 conference in their footprint.  The Michigan schools and Ohio St feast on MAC schools, which makes attendance and local interest more intense.

I'm interested to see what happens when it's finally announced that Cincy and UCONN are joining the Big XII. Wondering if the AAC will look at bringing in a couple of current FCS schools or what.

2 minutes ago, GFG said:

I'm interested to see what happens when it's finally announced that Cincy and UCONN are joining the Big XII. Wondering if the AAC will look at bringing in a couple of current FCS schools or what.

The AAC does  not take FCS moveups.  Old Dominion, UMass, N Ill, UTSA among others are possible substitutions.

No Dakota schools will go to the MAC or CUSA schools to backfill.

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

The AAC does  not take FCS moveups.  Old Dominion, UMass, N Ill, UTSA among others are possible substitutions.

No Dakota schools will go to the MAC or CUSA schools to backfill.

Interesting perspective. I'd love to see UND in the MAC, but I'm not sure they'd be really interested in the ND schools. I feel like there are too many other regional FCS teams they would fill in with first. MAC may be okay with NDSU, but I don't think they would take both schools. I don't think either of them would end up in CUSA. 

18 minutes ago, GFG said:

Interesting perspective. I'd love to see UND in the MAC, but I'm not sure they'd be really interested in the ND schools. I feel like there are too many other regional FCS teams they would fill in with first. MAC may be okay with NDSU, but I don't think they would take both schools. I don't think either of them would end up in CUSA. 

The MAC has interest from east coast schools like James Madison, Albany or Stony Brook, which offer much greater media coverage potential.  If N Ill leaves, there is always Illinois St as a replacement.  The only route up for the Dakota schools is if they team up with similar schools - Montanas, Idaho - west.

I think after reading this.....Idaho is dead in the Sun Belt. The translation to the interview is hilarious.

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016/2/26/11118640/idaho-president-interview-translation-wut

Here is an example:

ON WHETHER THE VOTE WILL BE MOVED OR DELAYED

"I believe that they will act and they plan to take a vote on March 10. That’s what we have been told. I believe there will be a decision on the part of the Sun Belt at roughly that time."

I have not tried to stop them. Arkansas State AD Jeff Long promised to make me opossum roadkill stew if I asked.

The last sentence is the websites translation to the quote.

http://www.abqjournal.com/725668/sports/aggies-football-future-may-hinge-on-sun-belt-membership.html

Joining an FCS conference, such as the geographically close Big Sky Conference, would necessitate a several-year transition to 22 fewer scholarships for football and a reduction in revenue across the board in athletics. Carruthers said NMSU’s football budget was nearly $7 million for the 2015-16 season.

“We have been approached by other leagues who do other sports but not football,” Carruthers said. “There are other things floating around that might materialize in another environment for Olympic sports, but there is not much out there for football right now. It’s either Sun Belt, independent or join a FCS league.”

If Idaho and NMSU joined the Big Sky, UND wouldn't have any problem scheduling a non-conference game from within their conference.

On 2/26/2016 at 3:44 PM, SiouxVolley said:

An FBS move for the Big Sky requires an NCAA rules change, which I freely admit.  Big Sky formal studies won't surface until after the NCAA makes rule changes.   It still two and half years before a Big Sky would enter anow FBS transition.   

Yes, and when the NCAA and other FBS presidents see they are losing the football powerhouse Idaho, the first move they will make is call an emergency session to change the rules and do anything they can to keep them FBS. One FBS president was quoted as saying "If they can't compete at the FBS level, lets create an FBS conference they can compete in". :cool:

4 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Yes, and when the NCAA and other FBS presidents see they are losing the football powerhouse Idaho, the first move they will make is call an emergency session to change the rules and do anything they can to keep them FBS. One FBS president was quoted as saying "If they can't compete at the FBS level, lets create an FBS conference they can compete in". :cool:

Not a word I wrote sunk into your noggin.

Joining an FCS conference, such as the geographically close Big Sky Conference, would necessitate a several-year transition to 22 fewer scholarships for football and a reduction in revenue across the board in athletics. Carruthers said NMSU’s football budget was nearly $7 million for the 2015-16 season.

Idaho isn't offering 85 scholarships now are they?

3 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

Idaho isn't offering 85 scholarships now are they?

Most schools don't carry the maximum scholarships in the spring.  If Idaho does not have 77 (90% of 85) by fall, their FBS guarantee games would have to be cancelled or the value would go way down.  NDSU is paying fewer than 63 as we speak too.

Most schools don't carry the maximum scholarships in the spring.  If Idaho does not have 77 (90% of 85) by fall, their FBS guarantee games would have to be cancelled or the value would go way down.  NDSU is paying fewer than 63 as we speak too.

What i was getting at is if they are only offering 77 then they would only have to reduce 14 rather then 22 to get to the FCS level. I'm sure that wouldn't take "several years" to accomplish.

Just now, North Dakota said:

What i was getting at is if they are only offering 77 then they would only have to reduce 14 rather then 22 to get to the FCS level. I'm sure that wouldn't take "several years" to accomplish.

The way that program has endured the past decade with sub .500 records and about 500 people in the stands I'm surprised they can afford 77 scholarships. They need to drop to FCS and try and save some coin instead of staying FBS and saving face.