SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Must have missed the part where Moses brought down on stone tablets from Mt Sinai the FBS regulations, and they are forever to be unchanged, even though they have been entirely revamped numerous times by that Holy institution the NCAA.

The FBS today has 1 champion.  The current structure is not gong to allow FCS conferences to join.   Individual teams need to join existing conferences, or FBS membership will not be achieved.   If another championship is added in 10 years, then the rules might change.  Until then your theories are worthless.   If the BSC wants to sue the ncaa over exclusion, that would create a good laugh around the country.  The BSC would be a bottom of the barrel conference, not deserving of inclusion in the first place.  

There is a mechanism for FCS teams to join the FBS ranks, legally that checks the box for the ncaa.  There is no conspiracy, nothing to exploit for the BSC.  I know that must be frustrating for you and Fullerton.

Edited by Herd

Herd, when you think college football do you see two tiers or three at the DI level today? I guess I'm asking do you see:

( FBS and FCS ) or ( P5, G5, and FCS )

The way I see it, I see it as three tiers. The P5 have their autonomy ruling. That in my mind splits FBS into tiers (P5, G5). Yet, the P5 retains the power and makes the rules for all of FBS (P5 and G5) and effectively all of DI (so FCS inclusive). 

And if I've learned anything about the P5 of late, they'll do whatever is best for them. If they decide more G5 schools is good for the P5 it'll happen. 

Who the hell would want to go FBS with the structure of its bowl games today? Move up just to play a 5-7 team in a bowl no one outside the fanbase will watch. Until they announce different tiers (like Sicatoka talked about) all FCS teams should just sit tight, and play for a real playoff champion. 

• Upvote 1

Who the hell would want to go FBS with the structure of its bowl games today? Move up just to play a 5-7 team in a bowl no one outside the fanbase will watch. Until they announce different tiers (like Sicatoka talked about) all FCS teams should just sit tight, and play for a real playoff champion. 

With the exception of a couple, more people watch nearly all those bowl games than a lot of other college sporting events.  

Also, depending on how a conference chooses to distribute the money, the G5 conferences receive nearly $80 million for being part of FBS from the college football playoff.  That could mean a few million in revenue for a school just for "moving up" and having to play in that meaningless bowl game.

FBS teams could become more reluctant in the future to schedule FBS teams.  

There are multiple reasons to move it if it makes sense geographically and a school can get into a conference.  

What a money pit this FCS tournament is.  Who's going to fly Colgate out to play Portland St. for a gate of 5,000 and no television revenue to speak of?  

Move up just to play a 5-7 team in a bowl no one outside the fanbase will watch. Until they announce different tiers (like Sicatoka talked about) all FCS teams should just sit tight, and play for a real playoff champion. 

Well, it only takes one more win than that to get into the FCS Playoffs............. ??? 

• Upvote 4

With the exception of a couple, more people watch nearly all those bowl games than a lot of other college sporting events.  

Also, depending on how a conference chooses to distribute the money, the G5 conferences receive nearly $80 million for being part of FBS from the college football playoff.  That could mean a few million in revenue for a school just for "moving up" and having to play in that meaningless bowl game.

FBS teams could become more reluctant in the future to schedule FBS teams.  

There are multiple reasons to move it if it makes sense geographically and a school can get into a conference.  

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't watch those worthless mid-December bowl games, they are meaningless if you aren't a fan of one of the teams. And most of these bowl games lose money for the schools involved, they are not money-makers. We are better off staying FCS and playing FBS schools in money games.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't watch those worthless mid-December bowl games, they are meaningless if you aren't a fan of one of the teams. And most of these bowl games lose money for the schools involved, they are not money-makers. We are better off staying FCS and playing FBS schools in money games.

I agree with you, but what you just said about those bowl games is true for the FCS playoff games as well.

• Upvote 1

I agree with you, but what you just said about those bowl games is true for the FCS playoff games as well.

The only way to make money in bowl games is to be good enough to get into a New Year's Day bowl (not necessarily the playoff bowls). And do you think either UND or NDSU would ever be able to do that? I say highly unlikely.

The only way to make money in bowl games is to be good enough to get into a New Year's Day bowl (not necessarily the playoff bowls). And do you think either UND or NDSU would ever be able to do that? I say highly unlikely.

Boise St and Northern Illinois is the only teams I remember this century to play in a "major" bowl game. Other than that I can't name a non p5 team to play in a "major" bowl game.

• Upvote 1

I also skip the majority of the bowl games and am fully in the camp that UND should stay where they are while things shake out. However, while the bowl game themselves can end up being a money loser for the schools involved but the bowl system itself is a net positive that outweighs any money they may lose on a bowl game. FBS schools also get paid at least 2-3x as much to play those exact same money games.

I typically don't chime in on this thread for a variety of reasons, so if this has already been discussed 30 pages back, I apologize in advance...

The state of Illinois is in a budget crisis and education is apparently one avenue they are looking to cut back on.

I've heard a couple interesting things regarding a couple Illinois schools recently: 

- Eastern Illinois is being looked at to potentially shut down campus completely.
- Western Illinois is looking at the possibility of dropping down to D2.

"Snake" Nielsen was also apparently promised a new football facility prior to being hired in Macomb.  It is painfully obvious that will never happen now.

Utah played in and won 2 bcs games as a G5 team. TCU played in at least one.. Maybe two?  Hawaii played in a bcs bowl as well if I recall.

And you really think UND and/or NDSU will ever reach the level of a Utah, TCU or Hawaii? And Hawaii was a one-year thing, they are back to being below-average again.

And you really think UND and/or NDSU will ever reach the level of a Utah, TCU or Hawaii? And Hawaii was a one-year thing, they are back to being below-average again.

no I don't think they could ever.. Just mentioned those were 3 more G5 bcs teams.

no I don't think they could ever.. Just mentioned those were 3 more G5 bcs teams.

Technically, yes. But there are clearly haves and have-nots within the G5. Which means it would make sense to have a fourth tier of Division I teams (P5, upper-level G5, lower-level G5 & upper level FCS and lower level FCS). That would make more sense from both a competitiveness standpoint and in terms of having similar institutions with the same resources and philosophies affiliated with each other.

Utah played in and won 2 bcs games as a G5 team. TCU played in at least one.. Maybe two?  Hawaii played in a bcs bowl as well if I recall.

Right, Cincinnati also played in the Orange and Sugar Bowl in back to back seasons.  The G5 have an auto-bid to at least one Big Six Bowl every year just like the mid-majors typically had an auto-bid to a BCS bowl every year, assuming there was a mid-major team ranked in the top 16 in the BCS standings.

This year, it's Houston's turn.

Right, Cincinnati also played in the Orange and Sugar Bowl in back to back seasons.  The G5 have an auto-bid to at least one Big Six Bowl every year just like the mid-majors typically had an auto-bid to a BCS bowl every year, assuming there was a mid-major team ranked in the top 16 in the BCS standings.

This year, it's Houston's turn.

Is that how Northern Illinois played in the Orange Bowl a couple years back? 

Is that how Northern Illinois played in the Orange Bowl a couple years back? 

I can't say for certain, but I would assume so.  Other than those few Boise St., TCU, and Utah teams that were, in my opinion, legitimate top 5 teams, I think a lot of the other mid-majors/G5 teams to make BCS or New Year's Six bowls, respectively, were due to the 1 autobid reserved for those smaller schools.

Boise State (#20) last year and Houston (#18) this year are certainly examples of that.

I can't say for certain, but I would assume so.  Other than those few Boise St., TCU, and Utah teams that were, in my opinion, legitimate top 5 teams, I think a lot of the other mid-majors/G5 teams to make BCS or New Year's Six bowls, respectively, were due to the 1 autobid reserved for those smaller schools.

Boise State (#20) last year and Houston (#18) this year are certainly examples of that.

A bone the P5 threw at the G5 is that the G5 will get their highest ranking team into an access bowl ( a New Years Bowl not in the playoffs) if the don't get a G5 playoff team.

Fomerly, under the BCS system, the highest ranking G5 team would have a right to play in a big bowl, as long as they were ranked #16 (I think) or above.

Cincy and UConn were members of the Big East at the time of their big bowl appearances.  The Big East at the time had P5 privileges in the BCS.

Edited by SiouxVolley

A bone the P5 threw at the G5 is that the G5 will get their highest ranking team into an access bowl ( a New Years Bowl not in the playoffs) if the don't get a G5 playoff team.

Fomerly, under the BCS system, the highest ranking G5 team would have a right to play in a big bowl, as long as they were ranked #16 (I think) or above.

Cincy and UConn were members of the Big East at the time of their big bowl appearances.  The Big East at the time had P5 privileges at the time in the BCS.

Oh yeah.  Good call on Cincy.  Forgot that they were Big East, I thought they were in the MAC for some reason.