SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

If Sam Houston and Delaware move up, I look for NDSU and SDSU to make a push for the Mountain West. I think they may be open to 10 schools in case Boise or Fresno leave. They would make good travel partners for all sports other than football. If the FCS loses 2-4 more top schools, NDSU won't stay.

Don't you think due to geography NDSU would work with UND since SDSU has USD. SDSU is NOT connected with NDSU at the hip. If an FBS conference wanted one of the SU's they would dump the other like garbage. Since SDSU and USD are geographically closer to other conferences than the ND teams I can see them getting an invite over us. We are isolated, the closest conference to both our schools is the Mountain West with the closest school (Wyoming) 880 miles from Grand Forks, (further than Bozeman, MT), and 800 miles from Fargo. Unless somehow the Sun Belt creates a north division with the Dakota 4, UNI and SIU then that would be ideal. But I think the Mountain West is not going to happen neither is the MAC. Is the Sun Belt really that attractive? Its the Great West of the FBS. I would love to wait until an FBS split where the Super 5 goes up and the rest of the FBS merges with the upper conferences of the FCS (BSC, CAA, MVFC etc) and (here is the key) have a playoff for a National Title. Keep the Bowls with the Super 5.

Don't you think due to geography NDSU would work with UND since SDSU has USD. SDSU is NOT connected with NDSU at the hip. If an FBS conference wanted one of the SU's they would dump the other like garbage. Since SDSU and USD are geographically closer to other conferences than the ND teams I can see them getting an invite over us. We are isolated, the closest conference to both our schools is the Mountain West with the closest school (Wyoming) 880 miles from Grand Forks, (further than Bozeman, MT), and 800 miles from Fargo. Unless somehow the Sun Belt creates a north division with the Dakota 4, UNI and SIU then that would be ideal. But I think the Mountain West is not going to happen neither is the MAC. Is the Sun Belt really that attractive? Its the Great West of the FBS. I would love to wait until an FBS split where the Super 5 goes up and the rest of the FBS merges with the upper conferences of the FCS (BSC, CAA, MVFC etc) and (here is the key) have a playoff for a National Title. Keep the Bowls with the Super 5.

Haven't you heard about the "Dakota Big 3"?

NDSU does not have any allies in the FBS quest except SDSU. That's not going to buy them any tickets on the FBS express.

The Sun Belt want to shed Idaho and NMSU, but isn't gonna kick them out, as they have been valuable allies. The Sun Belt will add eastern locales (like EKU) and western ones (Mo St and San Houston) that fit their core geography. Then to find a home for NMSU and Idaho, they add a whole division of Big Sky teams and later shed them with Idaho and NMSU. Voila! In two years the Big Sky can be FBS be itself. Nothing the NCAA can do about it. UCDavis and or Cal Poly would have to join the conference, but its entirely doable. NDSU would never join the Big Sky. Too much pride there to follow UND. The MVFC is all for themselves, and they is no path for them to FBS (the basketball schools care about a path toward the Big East, not FBS) as the MAC and CUSA would not touch them (they'd touch Ill St, Mo St, and maybe UNI). No TV sets to make a difference for SDSU or NDSU.

For UND, stadium additions are the biggest issues. I still say on campus open air stadium of 18k is the best option for early season games and then late season games in the Alerus, but the idea might force the Alerus to expand.

NDSU does not have any allies in the FBS quest except SDSU. That's not going to buy them any tickets on the FBS express.

The Sun Belt want to shed Idaho and NMSU, but isn't gonna kick them out, as they have been valuable allies. The Sun Belt will add eastern locales (like EKU) and western ones (Mo St and San Houston) that fit their core geography. Then to find a home for NMSU and Idaho, they add a whole division of Big Sky teams and later shed them with Idaho and NMSU. Voila! In two years the Big Sky can be FBS be itself. Nothing the NCAA can do about it. UCDavis and or Cal Poly would have to join the conference, but its entirely doable. NDSU would never join the Big Sky. Too much pride there to follow UND. The MVFC is all for themselves, and they is no path for them to FBS (the basketball schools care about a path toward the Big East, not FBS) as the MAC and CUSA would not touch them (they'd touch Ill St, Mo St, and maybe UNI). No TV sets to make a difference for SDSU or NDSU.

For UND, stadium additions are the biggest issues. I still say on campus open air stadium of 18k is the best option for early season games and then late season games in the Alerus, but the idea might force the Alerus to expand.

Most MAC stadiums are between 20-40k but only get 10-20k for attendance, if the Alerus did a facelift, added endzone seating (which they only need to add about 2500-3k per endzone) they can get close to 18k. As for the BSC going FBS, Fullerton talked about this when the FBS merges with the FCS they could possibly move the entire (or most teams) conference up. It would be cool if it happens, of course a lot has to happen before we are labeled FBS.

Most MAC stadiums are between 20-40k but only get 10-20k for attendance, if the Alerus did a facelift, added endzone seating (which they only need to add about 2500-3k per endzone) they can get close to 18k. As for the BSC going FBS, Fullerton talked about this when the FBS merges with the FCS they could possibly move the entire (or most teams) conference up. It would be cool if it happens, of course a lot has to happen before we are labeled FBS.

If NDSU and SDSU even talk about FBS, the Slummit implodes as it doesn't have enough members. NDSU is in a tough position. Poor Gene Taylor. :silly::xmas:

Best wait to see how this lawsuit plays out about player compensation before making a move to FBS. Don't know if you want to be part of a division that has some of its members offering players substantial amounts of money, when the budgets would be tight to begin with.

Best wait to see how this lawsuit plays out about player compensation before making a move to FBS. Don't know if you want to be part of a division that has some of its members offering players substantial amounts of money, when the budgets would be tight to begin with.

Spot on sir! I see issues down the road if the "haves" pay players and the "have nots" can't afford to. The advantages the haves already possess will continue to grow.

If Davis or Sac St went FBS, their interest would skyrocket. Sacramento could care less about 'DII' football. Wichita State would add tremendously to basketball, baseball, and volleyball strength so the MWC contract goes up. UND is tied to the hip of Montana and Montana St and the Big Sky.

lolwut? since when?

I have also heard that Canad has plans for a second tower to the west of the first tower. Not sure on a timeline or if it will ever come to fruition. If seats are added to the north end zone, how would that affect loading/unloading for concerts and other shows? I actually did some construction on the Alerus one summer when I was in college. At that time, there were no future expansion plans for the stadium...at least according to my foreman. Those types of things can change over time though.

I have also heard that Canad has plans for a second tower to the west of the first tower. Not sure on a timeline or if it will ever come to fruition. If seats are added to the north end zone, how would that affect loading/unloading for concerts and other shows? I actually did some construction on the Alerus one summer when I was in college. At that time, there were no future expansion plans for the stadium...at least according to my foreman. Those types of things can change over time though.

First thing UND needs to do is fill the dome first (something that hasn't been done consistently since the DII days) then talk expansion.

I heard this a long time ago so take it with a big grain of salt, but both end zones are supposed to be able to be ripped out so new seating can be installed behind it. The area behind the north endzone is open as well, so the Canad may have been built with this taken into consideration.

The Alerus bought that land because if they didn't, someone else would, and it might need it someday. If you are reading any more into it than that I have a ski resort to sell you in south florida. There is no money, no plans and no need to do anything for the forseeable future.

If they ever wanted/needed to increase seating, the easiest/cheapest thing they could do would be to put up a little counter rail and sell the spots in the end zone as standing room, similar to how the standing room club seats at the REA are. Wouldn't add a ton of seating, but a quick and temporary fix. Might upset those people that stand up there now but not a real big concern until attendance starts growing again. Would be interesting to see if the capability to do what you say is still possible if necessary someday.

As for the second part, there are a handful of plans and uses for that land floating around but all very far off and have quite a bit of range in what they are. Your general premise is dead on though. If they didn't buy, someone else was going to and if that happened, they are landlocked.

I could see the ability to "horse shoe" the south end, but isn't the Aurora Ballroom (and associated kitchens) too close out the north end?

I think Alerus always saw all that open land to the north and had no worries. When that filled in, they had to act on what was there to the south or (as some one said) risk being landlocked.

I could see the ability to "horse shoe" the south end, but isn't the Aurora Ballroom (and associated kitchens) too close out the north end?

I think Alerus always saw all that open land to the north and had no worries. When that filled in, they had to act on what was there to the south or (as some one said) risk being landlocked.

The loading dock is directly north of the field for most of the width. It might be possible to build stands over the top of the kitchen and Ballroom 1 (and maybe part of the loading dock). I believe that Ballroom 1 is the only one of the ballrooms that would be affected. The loading dock would have to be moved north. They would have to figure out a way to get everything from the new loading dock area to the arena, especially large items.

.....and then it will be back to talking about Saul Phillips and his "Slummit League" Men's Basketball team and their latest "big-time" match-up with IUPUIFW or whatever other two-bit schools they have in that hodge-podge, way-station conference of theirs.

epic rant but remember to give credit where credit is due! I coined "Slummit League" but your definition was spot on so I'm willing to share the credit with you my brother. I'm not SAYING, I'm just saying.....

• Upvote 1

epic rant but remember to give credit where credit is due! I coined "Slummit League" but your definition was spot on so I'm willing to share the credit with you my brother. I'm not SAYING, I'm just saying.....

Slummit League #15 in conference RPI in men's basketball, Big Why conference #27, Missouri Valley Conference Football Conference #1 in FCS football, Big Why #4. If the Summit is the doormat of D1, then I guess the BSC is the equivalent of a D2 league.

Slummit League #15 in conference RPI in men's basketball, Big Why conference #27, Missouri Valley Conference Football Conference #1 in FCS football, Big Why #4. If the Summit is the doormat of D1, then I guess the BSC is the equivalent of a D2 league.

just the fact you're welcoming back ORAL ROBERTS with open arms says it all you losers! They left the SLUMMIT like it was a used kleenex but as soon as you realized you might not have enough conference members for an autobid and they realized BB outside the SLUMMIT was "too hard" - they're back and you're happy!?! WTF???

OH! and by the way - this "d2 equivalent" team OWNED your asses by 20 points earlier this season! I'm sure that will help at tourney selection (ie 1 and DONE) time comes around...

and yes you're a !@#!$!! GO AWAY!

just the fact you're welcoming back ORAL ROBERTS with open arms says it all you losers! They left the SLUMMIT like it was a used kleenex but as soon as you realized you might not have enough conference members for an autobid and they realized BB outside the SLUMMIT was "too hard" - they're back and you're happy!?! WTF???

OH! and by the way - this "d2 equivalent" team OWNED your asses by 20 points earlier this season! I'm sure that will help at tourney selection (ie 1 and DONE) time comes around...

and yes you're a !@#!$!! GO AWAY!

If the Summit is so bad, why are they consistently rated ahead of the BSC in recent years in men's basketball?

If UND was offered a package deal of Summit and MVFC membership, they would jump at the chance. NDSU on the other hand, would rather stay in the Summit/MVFC than take a BSC offer.

Portland St, Sac St, Southern Utah, Northern Ariz, etc. They don't get UND fans blood boiling any more than Oral Roberts, IPFW, etc would, and NDSU, SDSU, and USD would be more attractive both rivalry wise and geographically than U of Mont or MSU, which are supposedly UND's new rivals. .

If the Summit is so bad, why are they consistently rated ahead of the BSC in recent years in men's basketball?

If UND was offered a package deal of Summit and MVFC membership, they would jump at the chance. NDSU on the other hand, would rather stay in the Summit/MVFC than take a BSC offer.

Portland St, Sac St, Southern Utah, Northern Ariz, etc. They don't get UND fans blood boiling any more than Oral Roberts, IPFW, etc would, and NDSU, SDSU, and USD would be more attractive both rivalry wise and geographically than U of Mont or MSU, which are supposedly UND's new rivals. .

If the slummit is so good then why is their average attendance lower than the leaders of the big sky?

Sure why not? Heck - somebody should pull the Bowie Knife that is in Fullerton's back and we can play for that - - I wonder what we should call it?

It is too bad that UND and USD are not going to be in the same conference because.. most conference tournaments take place around March 15th - we could have celebrated the "Ides of March" with a game.

NOTE: darn it... the GW tournament is March 10th through the 12th we could celebrate our last conference tournament with USD as the "Ides of March" tournament. Hey, I think I have a nickname for the Slummit Basketball tournament in Sioux Falls - The "Ideas of March".

Ok - Maybe it is too soon to have fun with this?

Not so fast my friend... I think that I am the leader in club house right now....

The big question is if the SL is so great why do they lose a member almost every year where the BSC loses one about every decade or so.