SiouxSports.com Forum

We are in the polls!

darell1976

The FCS Coaches Poll is based exclusively on a voting panel of head coaches in the FCS under the cooperation of the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) and the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) and is administered by the Southern Conference.

2011 FCS Coaches Week 3 Poll (September 19, 2011)

Team (No. 1 Votes) Record Points Last Week

1. Georgia Southern (25) 2-0 697 1

2. Northern Iowa (3) 1-1 666 2

3. Appalachian State 2-1 642 3

4. Montana State 2-1 615 4

5. William & Mary 2-1 568 5

6. Delaware 2-1 515 7

7. Richmond 3-0 514 9

8. Wofford 1-1 488 8

9. Montana 2-1 462 11

10. James Madison 2-1 383 14

11. New Hampshire 1-1 369 12

12. North Dakota State 2-0 359 6

13. Southern Illinois 1-1 342 15

14. Chattanooga 2-1 314 17

15. Jacksonville State 2-1 284 16

16. Lehigh 1-1 235 19

17. Stephen F. Austin 1-2 220 13

18. McNeese State 1-1 190 22

19. Massachusetts 2-0 171 25

20. South Dakota 2-1 165 23

21. North Dakota 1-2 136 NR

22. Eastern Washington 0-3 117 10

23. Liberty 1-2 83 20

24. Youngstown State 2-1 70 NR

25. South Carolina State 1-2 69 21

Others receiving votes: Sam Houston State (66); Murray State (63); Southern Utah (51); Central Arkansas (45); Jackson State (38); Indiana State (33); South Dakota State (32); Weber State (12); Cal Poly (10); Coastal Carolina (10); UC Davis (10); Jacksonville (7); Holy Cross (7); Tennessee Tech (7); Sacramento State (7); Eastern Kentucky (6); Old Dominion (6); Bethune-Cookman (4); Pennsylvania (4); Dayton (3); Central Connecticut (1); Duquesne (1); Villanova (1);

I don't think it's even remotely warranted at this point, but any positive publicity is good, I suppose.

This poll is a joke. If we would have beaten FSU maybe a shot at the polls but a loss and we are #21. Do we crack the top 10 with a win on Saturday against BHSU? :lol:

There obviously had to be some sort of mix up between us and NDSU for a couple people. They dropped from 6 to 12 being idle. So, I chalk this one up to a mistake (although had they won on Saturday UND would probably have cracked someone's top 25).

Not sure about that, why would a mistake happen now? These are coaches, it isn't a fan poll. If anything, I could see NDSU gaining votes if this was truly a mistake, with coaches thinking it was the bison who gave Fresno a scare

The coaches obviously looked at how UND played against 2 FBS teams on the road and made their assessment based on that. We were leading Idaho at half on the road. We were leading Fresno late in the game on the road. We very easily could of beaten Fresno. It must of gotten their attention. At this point UND will take what ever we can get. We just need to keep bulding on that. This has got to fry NDSU fans. UND is ranked. UND is coming!!!!! Next year we are playoff elgible. Hopefully we will be in the playoffs. Fun times.

And apparently Cal-Poly's complete butt whoopin on the Jack's didn't make much of an impression as the Jacks have more votes than Poly?

I wish they would stop doing the coach's poll as most don't really give a sh$t about it, ie Cal-Poly' s and SDSU position. SDSU is not a very good team right now.

There obviously had to be some sort of mix up between us and NDSU for a couple people. They dropped from 6 to 12 being idle. So, I chalk this one up to a mistake (although had they won on Saturday UND would probably have cracked someone's top 25).

That could never happen. ndsu has made such a huge name for themselves in the FCS world with all their signiture wins and all. Just ask anyone of their fans, they'll tell you. :lol:

I guess, I could understand the ranking if we would have played Idaho as tough the week before as we played Fresno. Either way, if it is a result of our game this week getting some attention, congrats to the guys. Still way to early in my mind for polls to have a lot of meaning though.

It is hard to imagine that coaches would mix up the two schools, but looking at what happened it is possible. The other thing that comes to mind is that a bye week does give your team a chance to heal up, etc. But....does a bye week cost you in the polls?

Perhaps the coaches were looking at NDSU's strength of schedule .... Lafayette, St Francis of Assisi and bye .... and actually thinking,

UND can have a blow-out weekend coming up, and it won't mean a thing (and potentially drop out).

Good to see UND cracked the poll, but...I saw EWU, who is at #22 this week, play the Griz this Sat. in Missoula and I have also seen UND play a couple of times this year. There is no doubt in my mind having watched both teams that EWU would beat UND...even if it were in the Alerus. EWU is really, really good. My buddy, who lives in Seattle, saw EWU and UW 1st game of the year and said EWU was the better team minus the final outcome. EWU QB Bo Levi can flat out spin it. He is a good one. Put a talent like that pulling the trigger for UND and watch out!

Again, good to see UND in the poll, but it's a poll.

Playing "Bye" isn't normally cause to slide in the polls (other than maybe a slot or two) unless those that moved past really proved something over the weekend.

But for the most part that movement is pretty surprising.

Team (No. 1 Votes) Record Points Last Week

1. Georgia Southern (25) 2-0 697 1

2. Northern Iowa (3) 1-1 666 2

3. Appalachian State 2-1 642 3

4. Montana State 2-1 615 4

5. William & Mary 2-1 568 5

6. Delaware 2-1 515 7

7. Richmond 3-0 514 9

8. Wofford 1-1 488 8

9. Montana 2-1 462 11

10. James Madison 2-1 383 14

11. New Hampshire 1-1 369 12

12. North Dakota State 2-0 359 6

I LIKE HOW THE AC'S FIVE YEAR HEAD START IN D1 IS SLOWLY OR QUICKLY? GOING AWAY: VBALL (CHECK), BASEBALL (CHECK), FOOTBALL (HOPE GENE "I WAS ALWAYS PICKED LAST" TAYLOR IS FOUND PASSED OUT IN FRONT OF THE ABC STORE SO HE LEAVES AND THIS SERIES CAN FINALLY BE RESUMED),MENS BASKETBALL (SIOUX WILL KILL THEM THIS YEAR) , SOCCER (WILL FIND OUT THIS WEEK), AND HOCKEY (OOPS WON'T GO THERE)!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I LIKE HOW THE AC'S FIVE YEAR HEAD START IN D1 IS SLOWLY OR QUICKLY? GOING AWAY: VBALL (CHECK), BASEBALL (CHECK), FOOTBALL (HOPE GENE "I WAS ALWAYS PICKED LAST" TAYLOR IS FOUND PASSED OUT IN FRONT OF THE ABC STORE SO HE LEAVES AND THIS SERIES CAN FINALLY BE RESUMED),MENS BASKETBALL (SIOUX WILL KILL THEM THIS YEAR) , SOCCER (WILL FIND OUT THIS WEEK), AND HOCKEY (OOPS WON'T GO THERE)!!!!!!!

Not sure about that. We seriously are in need of a big that can stay healthy.

Not sure about that. We seriously are in need of a big that can stay healthy.

WITHOUT MICHAEL TVEDT AND BEING A HOME GAME WE'LL BEAT THEM HANDILY. MITCH WILMER'S BEST GAME LAST YEAR WAS AGAINST NDSU TIL HE BROKE HIS HAND IN THAT GAME AND I DON'T SEE THE AC MATCHNG UP WELL AGAINST WEBB, HUFF, MITCHELL, SCHULER, ANTWI, AND BREKKE.

And apparently Cal-Poly's complete butt whoopin on the Jack's didn't make much of an impression as the Jacks have more votes than Poly?

I don't understand this either because I watched Cal Poly play up vs San Diego State (last week I think) and even though they handily lost they hung in there. Cal Poly could easily be our toughest game on the schedule this year.

Good to see UND cracked the poll, but...I saw EWU, who is at #22 this week, play the Griz this Sat. in Missoula and I have also seen UND play a couple of times this year. There is no doubt in my mind having watched both teams that EWU would beat UND...even if it were in the Alerus. EWU is really, really good. My buddy, who lives in Seattle, saw EWU and UW 1st game of the year and said EWU was the better team minus the final outcome. EWU QB Bo Levi can flat out spin it. He is a good one. Put a talent like that pulling the trigger for UND and watch out!

Again, good to see UND in the poll, but it's a poll.

So you are saying that we don't have much of a chance against South Dakota in the Alerus? The way South Dakota handled EWU, would lead me to believe that if we couldn't beat EWU in the Alerus, we certainly won't be able to beat South Dakota. I personally think that we can beat any FCS team at the Alerus.