SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

It looked more to me like a team that was not prepared. Enough with the excuses. The guys out there are the same guys who have been out there all year and some of the younger guys should be seeing more snaps than the older ones. Kuska vs. Mackey, Edwards vs. Hensen, anyone vs. Peters.

It looked more to me like a team that was not prepared. Enough with the excuses. The guys out there are the same guys who have been out there all year and some of the younger guys should be seeing more snaps than the older ones. Kuska vs. Mackey, Edwards vs. Hensen, anyone vs. Peters.

Agree. Henson had one assisted tackle.

Kuksa laid some nice hits.

Agree. Henson had one assisted tackle.

Kuksa laid some nice hits.

Kuska is a good athlete who actually tackles well. After watching him on Saturday the only thing against him right now is his size (which will come) and he is a half a step slow in recoginizing run vs. pass (which hopefully improves with more reps). His redshirt was pulled so he should be playing.

I am not a fire the coach kind of guy. But things have to change and it starts at the top. This is making it very hard to get fans to stay in the seats much less gain new fans. Its how UND is losing the games that stings. The job is not getting done. Time to move on without a question.

The fact that an announcement hasn't been made yet is concerning. Extremely long-term fans (30+ years of season tickets) that my family has seats next to are talking about not getting them next year. My dad left a game early in the 4th quarter (Montana) for the first time in 20+ years after being nagged by my mom for half an hour. He then left the MSU game early in the 4th quarter by himself. Permanent damage is being done to the program every week we send Mussman onto the field and put him on tv/radio in front of the fans. If he's not fired after the loss to ISU this weekend, hopefully a crowd of 6,500 for homecoming to watch EWU go up by 40 in the first half will be the last straw.

Mussman was just on with Tim and Swygg and talked about injuries and said they were forced to play young guys in critical positions. Really? Is that why Mackey and some other older players keep getting thrown out there even when they never get it done. Most programs have talented young players that can supplement the older players. The excuses certainly don't inspire confidence going forward. Seems that is all we hear is why we can't get it done.

It doesn't help matters that the local media coddles and covers for these coaches, whether they deserve it or not.

The fact that an announcement hasn't been made yet is concerning. Extremely long-term fans (30+ years of season tickets) that my family has seats next to are talking about not getting them next year. My dad left a game early in the 4th quarter (Montana) for the first time in 20+ years after being nagged by my mom for half an hour. He then left the MSU game early in the 4th quarter by himself. Permanent damage is being done to the program every week we send Mussman onto the field and put him on tv/radio in front of the fans. If he's not fired after the loss to ISU this weekend, hopefully a crowd of 6,500 for homecoming to watch EWU go up by 40 in the first half will be the last straw.

To be honest, I think UND will win this weekend. UND at this point IMO, can stay competitive with the middle and lower tier of the Big Sky, but no hope of beating the upper echelon teams.

It makes no sense to remove the coach now. There is not a single coach on staff who could replace him and do any better. The OC and the DC are both very very young and thus far have been outmatched in every game except Valpo. UND will have to sink or swim with the current staff for the remainder of this season. For me the most distressing news is that NAU beat Montana by 2 TDs. This weekend is a must win. Nobody has a good feeling about EW, except of course the EW faithful.

One simple thing I might recommend is for Muss take over the role of play-caller on offense. At least then he will have a hand in either ending or saving his job and life in GF. The current play-calling makes no sense.

Nothing can be done to help the defense. Maybe leave the offensive starters out there to play defense also. By doing this our line would at least have some size to them. I would feel better with Jackson and Mollberg at LB, and Miller, Hardin and Golladay at DBacks than what we offer now.

It makes no sense to remove the coach now. There is not a single coach on staff who could replace him and do any better. The OC and the DC are both very very young and thus far have been outmatched in every game except Valpo. UND will have to sink or swim with the current staff for the remainder of this season. For me the most distressing news is that NAU beat Montana by 2 TDs. This weekend is a must win. Nobody has a good feeling about EW, except of course the EW faithful.

One simple thing I might recommend is for Muss take over the role of play-caller on offense. At least then he will have a hand in either ending or saving his job and life in GF. The current play-calling makes no sense.

Nothing can be done to help the defense. Maybe leave the offensive starters out there to play defense also. By doing this our line would at least have some size to them. I would feel better with Jackson and Mollberg at LB, and Miller, Hardin and Golladay at DBacks than what we offer now.

The guy who runs out on the field with the UND flag in the cowboy hat (can't think of his name) he could do a better job than Muss. Muss should have been gone as of last week.

this ^^^^

• Upvote 1

I would agree with this sentiment....although if the team again shows no interest in competing and it is apparent that Mussman can't get them to play with any heart or pride then I think the move needs to be made before the end of the season just so our players(especially kids who are redshirting and sophmores and freshmen who are currently in back-up roles) know that things are going to change. Might keep them from exploring their options, although if this staff recruited them we can only hope they are legit FCS caliber players.

I don't like having to go with an interim coach but it might be the only option as it is unlikely that we would have a coaching candidate at this point in the season.

• Upvote 1

One simple thing I might recommend is for Muss take over the role of play-caller on offense.

Give me an Xbox controller, a screen with your playbook, and a chip that is linked from said controller to Qb's brain...might score some more touchdowns...as for defense....which is my forte on NCAA, I don't know if even I can save those young men from being beaten down.

• Upvote 1

I agree that we wouldn't improve with a new head coach this year unless he could suit up and play linebacker. However, the switch would be worth it to me if the new guy could just stop the sideline antics. We have to be the cockiest 1-3 program in the country.

• Upvote 1

Team looked disorganized at times. No excuse. Still tooo many penalties, lack or discipline, no excuse. Kids either don't know assignments or just flat our are making mistakes. Occasionally a receiver will be wide open, but three or four times in one game??? Twice D-backs came up to make a tackle and backed off. I have never seent hat before at UND.

Once game has been decided, you get other kids in there. Why didn't they get Sparks in?? Why didn't they get Varner in the last two games so he could play in front of Montana fans? Why didn't they get any back up linebackers in. See what they can do in a game situation cuz when you get your ass run over by a smaller RB when you have a clean shot at him then someone else can miss tackles as well as you can. When you don't get the others kids in during these games they will be disgruntled and when kids are disgruntled when you are losing you will have problems. Coaches who don't understand the psycholgy of coaching make those mistakes. It won't win the game but it sends a message to those who aren't getting the job and to those who are on the sidelines convinced they can do better that they will get a shot. Receivers lack some fundamentals despite their talent. Gollady needs to go after the damn ball even if it isn't a perfect throw. I was disappointed in a couple of throws that he didn't adjust his route to go after the ball. Can't believe receivers are still dropping passes. Basic fundamental is you look the ball into your hands, make the catch and anything else is "gravy".

I am not convinced our talent level is that far off, but how can one argue when we have played so poorly. There are signs of "life" but we can't sustain that. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you are but if you are in position to make a tackle and don't then it comes down to who you are and your own character. The other thing that someone should do is tell our damn D-backs that when you are getting your ass kicked you shut the hell up and try and play better rather than trash talk.

Detroit Lakes played in EGF friday and I didn't see any UND coaches. We have a 6' 3" 255 lb D-end who runs a 4.85 40. He might be a MLB at the college level or a D- end. UND hasn't even bothered talking to him. The other tackle D-linemean is 6' 2" 270 lb kid who dominates at this level. The Ag school talks to him and our QB weekly but our coaching staff doesn't think they can play. Wonder who is correct. This will be the first time in 22 yrs we will lose our hold on the DL kids. They only way we will win recruiting battles is to ourwork the other schools and we are getting out worked. I asked one of our coaches at the end of July why they weren't talking to our kids in DL and he didn't know which coach had our area for recruiting. The other problem this creates is that we ahve a 285lb Soph lineman who might be our best kid. Although our center may not be a D1 FCS level kid he is 6' 5" and weighs 265 lbs.

If our former UND players are doign their job they won't let these things happen. The Heag (sp?) kid who starts for the Bison at tackle the last 2 years walked on there. One of the Brainerd coaches who played at UND couldn't get UND to scholarship him. He will have a shot at an NFL career. Not sure what the hell these guys are thinking some times but pissing off area coaches and alumni won't get you any support when Faison has to make a decsion. Too many red flags for me to have confidence in these guys right now.

The lack of effort in recruiting may just be another sign that Muss and Co. have mailed it in.....

Team looked disorganized at times. No excuse. Still tooo many penalties, lack or discipline, no excuse. Kids either don't know assignments or just flat our are making mistakes. Occasionally a receiver will be wide open, but three or four times in one game??? Twice D-backs came up to make a tackle and backed off. I have never seent hat before at UND.

Once game has been decided, you get other kids in there. Why didn't they get Sparks in?? Why didn't they get Varner in the last two games so he could play in front of Montana fans? Why didn't they get any back up linebackers in. See what they can do in a game situation cuz when you get your ass run over by a smaller RB when you have a clean shot at him then someone else can miss tackles as well as you can. When you don't get the others kids in during these games they will be disgruntled and when kids are disgruntled when you are losing you will have problems. Coaches who don't understand the psycholgy of coaching make those mistakes. It won't win the game but it sends a message to those who aren't getting the job and to those who are on the sidelines convinced they can do better that they will get a shot. Receivers lack some fundamentals despite their talent. Gollady needs to go after the damn ball even if it isn't a perfect throw. I was disappointed in a couple of throws that he didn't adjust his route to go after the ball. Can't believe receivers are still dropping passes. Basic fundamental is you look the ball into your hands, make the catch and anything else is "gravy".

I am not convinced our talent level is that far off, but how can one argue when we have played so poorly. There are signs of "life" but we can't sustain that. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you are but if you are in position to make a tackle and don't then it comes down to who you are and your own character. The other thing that someone should do is tell our damn D-backs that when you are getting your ass kicked you shut the hell up and try and play better rather than trash talk.

Detroit Lakes played in EGF friday and I didn't see any UND coaches. We have a 6' 3" 255 lb D-end who runs a 4.85 40. He might be a MLB at the college level or a D- end. UND hasn't even bothered talking to him. The other tackle D-linemean is 6' 2" 270 lb kid who dominates at this level. The Ag school talks to him and our QB weekly but our coaching staff doesn't think they can play. Wonder who is correct. This will be the first time in 22 yrs we will lose our hold on the DL kids. They only way we will win recruiting battles is to ourwork the other schools and we are getting out worked. I asked one of our coaches at the end of July why they weren't talking to our kids in DL and he didn't know which coach had our area for recruiting. The other problem this creates is that we ahve a 285lb Soph lineman who might be our best kid. Although our center may not be a D1 FCS level kid he is 6' 5" and weighs 265 lbs.

If our former UND players are doign their job they won't let these things happen. The Heag (sp?) kid who starts for the Bison at tackle the last 2 years walked on there. One of the Brainerd coaches who played at UND couldn't get UND to scholarship him. He will have a shot at an NFL career. Not sure what the hell these guys are thinking some times but pissing off area coaches and alumni won't get you any support when Faison has to make a decsion. Too many red flags for me to have confidence in these guys right now.

I couldn't agree with you more! I know of 5 kids across the state of Minnesota that have received little or no contact from UND but are being contacted by nearly all MVFC schools. Yet we have made offers to kids of equal or lesser talent (IMO) across the entire country. If you can't get the recruits in your own backyard, how can you get them to come from AZ, FL or CA? In my 30 years of following the program, I have never questioned a entire coaching staff as much as this one. Sorry for venting, but after watching the game Saturday, we need a change and we need it fast.

Will people start boycotting UND football until Muss is gone? Someone mentioned the paper bags, I hope it doesn't get that low.

The paper bag is better than boycotting the program....I sat through both of the Montana games, every last second. And will be there every second of every game the rest of the season too! I might not be enjoying it but I will be there!

Cause when UND is at the top again it will feel that much sweeter.