SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

I was fortunate enough to hear Lou Holtz when he was in Grand "Junction" this week. (Yes, Holtz messed that up in his intro. :D )

Here's his message:

1. Trust - do you trust me; do I trust you.

2. Commitment - are you committed; are you doing everything you can to pull in the same direction with me

3. Care - do you care about me; Holtz phrased it as "love" more than once, as in "brotherly love".

Trust. Commitment. Care.

And you have to create and build on them in that order.

Would I trust a teammate auditioning for "Dance Fever" on the sidelines when I'm on the field busting my hump for the same team? Surely there's no commitment from the "Denny Terrio" wannabe. Frankly, I would soon not give a rip about that guy. Right there is epic fail of all three (trust, commitment, care). That's a team breaker according to Holtz.

Holtz's other message? WIN.

Wait ...

WIN as in ... W.I.N. ...

What's

Important

Now.

Auditioning for "Dance Fever" on the sidelines. That's no way to WIN. Dance moves are not ... what's important now.

Lou Holtz for UND Football coach.

Or at least get me a guy who can start putting UND on that path.

</rant>

Lou can coach for sure...he also had a great knack for knowing when to cut and leave.......i.e. the NCAA is coming through the front door and Lou was heading out the back door.

So you are saying there are multiple student athletes on und's football team that don't care? This sounds like a leadership problem.

There are probably some and they're usually fr that usually get cut like the wr and lb from last year. I also see a bigger problem in that we haven't had great senior leadership since Goska and Hendrickson. This senior class only has a couple leaders but they aren't of that caliber.

foxsports.com story:

The only thing that has changed since **** is [the] ********* have become poorly coached. They often appear confused and lifeless and players do not seem to be getting much better from one year to the next.

no, its not about Mussman and the Sioux, its about Mack Brown at Texas.

this is only my uninformed opinion, but the big frustration with the general direction of the UND football program is that UND is in the midst of the prime recruiting territory for FCS football talent - the foundation of NDSU, SDSU, Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington football teams is the farm boys, ranch hands and roughnecks (please, I intend absolutely NO disrespect with that reference) that are tough as nails in the trenches. Those programs have the same basic territory to recruit and look what they are building. NDSU & SDSU can go up against Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska and get some studs that they want in the strength positions. UND? Well, the Sioux may be getting some talent, but, like Mack Brown, you have to know what to do with it when you get it. Heck, even the Bison fullback is a better blocker than the Sioux linemen. They are bigger, but Grothman has more heart. It feels like confused and lifeless does not describe only the Texas Longhorns this season.

Would hockey be the#1 sport if Ralph had spent that money on the football program?

I will do my best to answer your question.......................

Where in the continental United States (other than Grand Forks County) is hockey the #1 sport?

You see what I am getting at..........................

So you are saying there are multiple student athletes on und's football team that don't care?

Yep. There are lots of them

Here is a quote from a UND football coach who is brand new, is putting 11 players on the field who are exceeding expectations, has beaten NDSU, and is getting young players to play well:

“We were not ready to play against a very talented SDSU team,” head coach Matt Kellogg said after the loss. “That’s my fault and I have to do a better job of that this week.”

Here is a quote from a UND football coach who is brand new, is putting 11 players on the field who are exceeding expectations, has beaten NDSU, and is getting young players to play well:

“We were not ready to play against a very talented SDSU team,” head coach Matt Kellogg said after the loss. “That’s my fault and I have to do a better job of that this week.”

Who is this?

Refreshing to hear a coach actually take some blame and tell it like it is.

I'm not talking about those rare kids that haven't been diagnosed (which is rare these days). I am talking about recruiting kids in that aren't on the fringe of scraping by to get into college and then struggle to stay eligible. Those kids hurt your program by dropping out, failing school and waste a scholarship that could have been given to someone else. That is how you create holes in a recruiting class and a team.

This also happens to a lot of non-athlete students as well. Some people aren't ready for the freedom and personal responsibility of college. I will say that being in an athletic program like football the coaches monitor and have study table for the players which gives them a far greater chance to be successful. Even with that some just aren't going to make it. I remember a particular player that was a PE major but needed to switch 2 years in because he was going to struggle and likely fail in certain classes (yes in PE). He ended up graduating with a degree in communications. The bottom line is that if you want to make it, you will work and find a way. Some just aren't mature enough to manage college at 18 or 19.

• Upvote 1

So you are saying there are multiple student athletes on und's football team that don't care? This sounds like a leadership problem.

To some extent yes but with the number of guys on a football team at times you will get some problems. Do you think Adam "Pac Man" Jones did a good job of following leaders in college or in the NFL. They need to be weeded out but it's a little crazy to blame the coaching staff because a guy was dancing on the sideline during a blow out. Now if something isn't done to correct it that's on the coaches but they wouldn't even likely be aware of it because they are focused on the game.

As horrible as this might sound, I think the tackling has been a little better than last year. Still not close to where it needs to be though.

I'm referring to the Babich Era in general. 2000 was a good year. Not sure I was even as tall as Gary Coleman back then...

Which of these things is not like the other?

A.) Morton

B.) Solomonson

C.)Hager

D.) Babich

The answer is C. The other three won with their own recruits.........................

Or I suppose it could be D. He's the only one the coached in a Super Bowl................

Or it could even be A. He couldn't convince his own son to play for NDSU....................

But we still have Eastern Washington coming up in two weeks. That could get real ugly if the defense doesn't improve at least a little bit.

Agree but beating the Cats would give Muss a "W" vs. his highest ranked opponent so far. Some will see that as progress, probably even Faison, even though we might lose by 30 to EWU.

• Upvote 1

Well, I would take a win, regardless of how that would impact Coach Mussman's future employment. I may have soured on the current coaching staff, but I'm not ready to pull for the opponent every week in order to force a change................

Well said.

Agree but beating the Cats would give Muss a "W" vs. his highest ranked opponent so far. Some will see that as progress, probably even Faison, even though we might lose by 30 to EWU.

My prediction is that Muss wins just enough to keep his job. Get ready for a lost decade of Sioux football while the team to the south builds a dynasty.

Well, I would take a win, regardless of how that would impact Coach Mussman's future employment. I may have soured on the current coaching staff, but I'm not ready to pull for the opponent every week in order to force a change................

Pretty big leap from my post above to assume that anyone who is a UND fan, including myself, would pull for the Cats in any way, shape or form to win Saturday.