SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

With all the injuries they have sustained you may have a point. They also lost alot from last year. Last year they were not awful. That's just ridiculous. We weren't awful and they kicked our ass in the best game they played last year.

awful was a strong word, but the UND game was the only game they played last year where they looked like a dominant, championship caliber team, and they routinely struggled with 'inferior' competition.

If Mussman is let go, we'd likely have a field of extremely weak candidates to replace him with what we pay our head coach and assistants at UND. Why would any quality applicant want to coach at a school that invests more money in paying it's women's hockey coach than it does it's head football coach? It's a joke.

I'm not trying to defend Mussman because his performance hasn't been overwhelming by any means, but we probably should at least give him the benefit of the doubt since this program gets next to zero support from our administration.

I really like the job Faison has done, but you're dead on with this point. It's mind boggling to me....it's inexplicable...

If Mussman is gone, Faison is bright enough to realize that it would be necessary to open the checkbook wider to get a good head coach. I think the salaries of assistants would increase as well - probably a bit slower than we would like but they would increase.

You can't knock Faison for the low salaries. In running a business or an athletic department, it does not make sense to jack up the salary of an employee or coach just because similar positions with other companies or schools pay more. The employee/coach needs to earn it.

• Upvote 4

snapback.pngdlsiouxfan, on 08 September 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

I'm not trying to defend Mussman because his performance hasn't been overwhelming by any means, but we probably should at least give him the benefit of the doubt since this program gets next to zero support from our administration.

I am curious about your "zero support" comment - are you referring to things other than salaries? Do you have examples?

I just remembered someone saying Mussman isn't a winner because he comes from Iowa St who aren't traditional winners. Care to tell me where Nick Saban came from?

Saban is part of Don James' coaching "family" tree.

Expecting to win rubs off from associating with winners like Don James.

Saban, like James, expects to win.

If Mussman is gone, Faison is bright enough to realize that it would be necessary to open the checkbook wider to get a good head coach. I think the salaries of assistants would increase as well - probably a bit slower than we would like but they would increase.

You can't knock Faison for the low salaries. In running a business or an athletic department, it does not make sense to jack up the salary of an employee or coach just because similar positions with other companies or schools pay more. The employee/coach needs to earn it.

Agreed. I'd expect a new coach would get paid more than Mussman. Mussman was hired before Faison's arrival; I believe by an interim A.D. (another reason why Lennon's departure was the worst possible timing). Of course an interim A.D. isn't going to open the checkbook and go out and get an experienced, high-price guy, he's going to promote from within on the cheap. I'm not saying fire Mussman -- just saying you can't assume the next coaching search would be constrained to the same salary Mussman is currently making.

• Upvote 3

Agreed. I'd expect a new coach would get paid more than Mussman. Mussman was hired before Faison's arrival; I believe by an interim A.D. (another reason why Lennon's departure was the worst possible timing). Of course an interim A.D. isn't going to open the checkbook and go out and get an experienced, high-price guy, he's going to promote from within on the cheap. I'm not saying fire Mussman -- just saying you can't assume the next coaching search would be constrained to the same salary Mussman is currently making.

To further illustrate the point, even a head coach promoted from within a year and a half ago--where UND probably could have still gotten away with paying relatively little--is getting paid quite well by Big Sky standards (Travis Brewster).

Saban is part of Don James' coaching "family" tree.

Expecting to win rubs off from associating with winners like Don James.

Saban, like James, expects to win.

Answer is he played at Kent St. They have an all time winning record of .394 and yet Saban came from that to being a modern Bear Bryant. Mussmans coach at ISU was Jim Walden who was a assistant at Nebraska in 1971 when they 13-0 and national champions. He is apart of the Bob Devaney coaching tree which isn't too shabby.