SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Recruiting

UND Fan

What do you guys think of Patrick Strom from Fargo Shanley? He's only a junior and probably a bit undersized but oh man can this kid shoot!

FWIW, this question was asked on the Herald's live chat on Wednesday, and Tom Miller thought he was more of a DAC/low-level dII type player, and that while he can score he's a bit one-dimensional.

Othern than Jacobson who I believe already signed with Fargo, are there any North Dakota kids on the recruiting radar for DI basketball?

Seems like 6'4" Chase Carpenter from Valley City is having a nice season (21 ppg, 11.2 rpg) .

Mertens from Devils Lake (27.7 ppg, 7.2 rpg) ?

Kreig from Dickinson (17.4 ppg, 10.2 rpg) ?

• 2 weeks later...

This is great news - Hooker is very highly thought of and obviously had a lot of options.

See my post (in a few minutes) regarding a bunch of 2014 recruits we had in town over the weekend which resluted in at least one offer.

Have you heard of any more recruiting news for 2013? After watching the game yesterday I am curious to see what Jones is doing with the available scholorships. This is making me nervous.

• 1 month later...

Not that it really matters but why do you think Quinton Hooker gets no love from the ESPN recruiting page? If he wouldn't have committed to us so early in his senior year do you think he would be getting some looks from some bigger schools? I know he had plenty of offers from mid majors but what about bigger schools?

Hooker was picked as 1st Team All-Metro in the Star-Tribune. He was the only senior on the first team, the rest are the studs from the 2014 class.

http://www.mnbasketballhub.com/news_article/show/239994?referrer_id=198777

The blurb on Hooker:

Quinton Hooker

Park Center senior point guard

Perhaps the state’s most underrated talent. Hooker’s senior year never had a letdown and kept Park Center atop the rankings most of the season. Led his team in handing Apple Valley its only defeat this year, and also ousting defending champion Osseo in the section finals. Natural scorer (25 points per game) who sacrifices some of that to get his team more involved. Averages 10 assists, nine rebounds and four steals per game. College: North Dakota

His Park Center team has the #2 seed in the Class 4A state tournament that starts tomorrow. His team drew Lakeville North in the first round. Should they win, they will have the semis and finals on TV in Minnesota or can be found here (http://www.prep45.com/) Most people believe that it will come down to Apple Valley or Park Center for the 4A class title.

Wasn't able to find the article but I did find that Hooker was 4 of 16 from the field in the championship game and took 24 shots in the quarterfinals. It will be interesting to see where he fits into our lineup with a senior dominated guard lineup next year.

Very interesting video through the Grand Forks Herald UND Sports Zone with HC Brian Jones: http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/259995

Jones mentions that in addition to PG Quinton Hooker, the team would like to recruit one more big bodied front-line player. Also, he mentioned the athleticism Jaron Nash possesses (similar to Troy Huff he said) and how next year's team will be gaining Nash, Alonzo Traylor, and Ryan Salmonson as front-line players to join up with Brekke.

*If this team stays healthy*, they will be D*MN good and have a great opportunity to go dancing next season! Very Exciting!

Very interesting video through the Grand Forks Herald UND Sports Zone with HC Brian Jones: http://www.grandfork...ticle/id/259995

Jones mentions that in addition to PG Quinton Hooker, the team would like to recruit one more big bodied front-line player. Also, he mentioned the athleticism Jaron Nash possesses (similar to Troy Huff he said) and how next year's team will be gaining Nash, Alonzo Traylor, and Ryan Salmonson as front-line players to join up with Brekke.

*If this team stays healthy*, they will be D*MN good and have a great opportunity to go dancing next season! Very Exciting!

Gotta like it!! Go Sioux! Win the regular season and make the road to the dance go through Grand Forks.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the Deal with Jarvis Garrett and AJ Patty?

From what I can tell, Jarvis actually reclassified to 2014 and went to a prep school in MA. Looks like he is looking for a big time offer. Do not know about Petty.

Also, 2013 Potential Recruit Kebu Johnson has signed to play at the University of Sioux Falls

Really don't think our talent base is that much different than Florida Gulf Coast. Where FGCU excelled well beyond UND is with the 3 pt shot.

Incorrect. I saw UND live 3 or 4 times this year and online another 9-10 times and I saw FGCU live a couple times(my brother has season tickets) and on TV once before the NCAA tourney, and watched SDSU and NDSU a few times, and while the conference that FGCU and Mercer play in is not as good as the Summit or Big Sky top to bottom, when you put the eye test to work after watching these teams play, FGCU is quite a bit better than UND, NDSU, and the Jacks....I would say FGCU beats any of them 8 of 10 and 5 or 6 would be of the blowout variety.