SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Recruiting

UND Fan

• 1 month later...

UND has offered another 2013 grad: PF Luke Worthington, 6'8", 230 from Mequon, WI. He reportedly has no other offers but WI-Milwaukee and various IVY League schools are showing a lot of interest.

It would be great to land a PF with this type of size.

• 4 weeks later...

Check this tweet: "ahh yeah man good playin @mvanscyoc RT Good hooping with @Shane_Benton @YoungLA_3 @JGentYaBoi"

Looks like Matt Van Scyoc was on campus today (Friday Sept 23) to play basketball with our new recruits Shane Benton, Lenny Antwi, and Joshua Gentry.

To refresh your memories SF Matt Van Scyoc, 6'7

Check this tweet: "ahh yeah man good playin @mvanscyoc RT Good hooping with @Shane_Benton @YoungLA_3 @JGentYaBoi"

Looks like Matt Van Scyoc was on campus today (Friday Sept 23) to play basketball with our new recruits Shane Benton, Lenny Antwi, and Joshua Gentry.

To refresh your memories SF Matt Van Scyoc, 6'7�, Green Lake (Green Lake), WI -- Has offers from Miami(OH), Lafayette, CMU, Army, Boston U, Citadel, Nevada, E IL & UIC

Let's hope he truly had a great time and is ready to commit to the Sioux for next year! His size would be perfect for us to replace Mitchell with after this year.

According to the wiki we have already offered him.

How can we offer him a scholarship when none are available for next year? The only scholarship for next year was Pat Mitchell's and I thought that one was going to Shane Benton. Is possibly one of the red-shirt juniors not returning next year. Something has to give for this offer to be made. Go Sioux

How can we offer him a scholarship when none are available for next year? The only scholarship for next year was Pat Mitchell's and I thought that one was going to Shane Benton. Is possibly one of the red-shirt juniors not returning next year. Something has to give for this offer to be made. Go Sioux

As noted below, a total of 13 scholarships are allowed but they do not need to be full rides. I would guess that only 9-10 of the kids who might be back next year have full rides so there is money available.

Number of Scholarships

Men's Division-I teams are allowed 13 full-ride scholarships that can be broken up any way the university sees fit. You could see 26 players with half scholarships on a given team, however, it would be highly unusual

As noted below, a total of 13 scholarships are allowed but they do not need to be full rides. I would guess that only 9-10 of the kids who might be back next year have full rides so there is money available.

Number of Scholarships

Men's Division-I teams are allowed 13 full-ride scholarships that can be broken up any way the university sees fit. You could see 26 players with half scholarships on a given team, however, it would be highly unusual

This was true in DII, but not in DI. You are allowed a maximum of 13 counters, and even an athlete on a half-ride is considered a counter. There are sports you can split up scholarships, but basketball and football are not among them.

This was true in DII, but not in DI. You are allowed a maximum of 13 counters, and even an athlete on a half-ride is considered a counter. There are sports you can split up scholarships, but basketball and football are not among them.

In FCS football I believe the scholarships can be divided so that a maximum of 85 players can be on some form of scholarship. With regard to basketball, I believe you are correct. Or maybe you were just referring to FBS football?

Basketball D1 is a full scholarship or nothing. There are no partial scholarships for D1 basketball. So, obviously Jones is not offering a full ride for one of the 5th year seniors to be next year. Wonder if Jones has already discussed this with one or more of these players. They can do the matH just as we can and know that no scholarships are available for next year. Time will tell. Go Sioux

Despite my posting the scholarship criteria, I didn't think it was correct so I went back and checked a second source. It said basically the same thing. I still don't think it is right but posted it anyway - shouldn't have. I found the correct definition of a headcount sport:

For a headcount sport, each athlete on scholarship counts toward the maximum headcount the school can have on scholarship, so whether a player is given a full athletic scholarship or given only one dollar, s/he is counted toward the headcount for that sport. Since a men’s basketball team can only have thirteen scholarship athletes in their headcount, a school might as well offer thirteen full scholarships so it can attract the thirteen best players possible. For headcount sports, full scholarships are more common. The list is not long. Men’s headcount sports are basketball and football, and women’s headcount sports are basketball, gymnastics, tennis, and volleyball.

Current scholarship players for this year:

SR: Mitchell

JR: Goodman,Haugen,Allard,Archer,Wilmer

SO: Brekke, Schuler, Anderson, Huff, Webb

FR: Antwi,Gentry

Thats a total of 13 and the only scholarship we are losing for the following year is Mitchell and as mentioned earlier Jones said Benton was getting a scholarship his sophomore year.

In FCS football I believe the scholarships can be divided so that a maximum of 85 players can be on some form of scholarship. With regard to basketball, I believe you are correct. Or maybe you were just referring to FBS football?

Yes, my bad. I was referring to FBS only. In FCS you can split the 63 scholarships among 85 players.

Yes UND will probably always be guard dominant like most mid to low majors but as of right now we have only Brekke that has proven he can play the post and we enter into the Big Sky next year. They will dominate us down low if we dont find a good back up for Brekke and some other size at the 4 spot. Sure we could probably get by in the Great West as is but not the Big Sky if we want to compete. Problem with this Arvidson kid is we have already offered at least one player a scholarship for next year that we do not currently have. Go Sioux

I'm a fan of Brekke, without a doubt. But I could ask the question what did he really prove last year? How to have a really good 8 game stretch then be in foul trouble the rest of the games during the season? Again the reality is we have un-proven and untested depth at the 4 & 5 spots. I completely agree that we had better continue to find players for those spots in the Big Sky. But I would like to remind everyone that currently, we do have size already on the roster, although unproven could turn out to be exactly what we need...effective. If you ask me all these guys are still question marks but the size is there and glimpses have been there at very brief moments of their careers. Brekke- yes undersized but great upside. Wilmer- Great size and reach- but what do we really know. Archer- 2 years ago, I thought he was going to be good- had a great 5 game stretch. Last year was able to dress but it hadn't even been a full year of recovery from knee surgery. Allard, works hard but if he comes in for Mitchell we lose the perimeter shooting game that Mitchell offers. There is size, just a whole lot of questions with what we have. I do hope that we continure to search for it, obviously our backcourt seems set for subsequent years. I read we have been recruiting a 7 Footer from Prior Lake...It sounds as if the coaching staff is looking in that direction as well. Basically, it would appear the search is on- but as it's been mentioned there are 300 plus other D1 institutions that are going after these same type of players. Hopefully, we can land a couple for next year and the year after.

As noted above, UND offered Prior Lakes Carson Shanks (now 7'1") some time ago. He recently picked up an offer from Utah State to go along with earlier offers from CSU and UNI.

We, along with many others, are interested in St. Cloud Cathedral's 6'11" Connor Voss. He is a project but is improving, still growing and with two more years of HS ball, he could become a "player"!

Both these guys attended a Gopher FB game in early September. I would guess that UM will likely go after Shanks - who knows about Voss.

It is good to see UND trying to get in on some young "bigs" like this. Also as noted above, we have an offer out to another junior, Luke Worthington, a 6'8", 230 PF from WI.

"Matt Van Scyoc of Green Lake committed to The Citadel today. Also considered Nevada, Illinois-Chicago and North Dakota." Multiple sources on the twitter machine confirm this.

This is too bad because this kid could have been just what we needed to replace Mitchell next year!

This does really hurt - I understand that the staff thought we had a decent chance of landing him!! He had a good visit here and got along with the other players well.

• 1 month later...