SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Recruiting

UND Fan

Quinton Hooker had 26 points last night.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22121786/shooter-now-rick-majerus-loved-st-paul

Park Center point guard Quinton Hooker, who is a leading candidate for the 2013 Mr. Basketball Minnesota honor, and Apple Valley point guard Tyus Jones, who is the favorite for the 2014 Mr. Basketball Minnesota Award, go against each other Saturday evening at Minnetonka in the Breakdown Tip-Off tournament. The pair comprised the backcourt for the Howard Pulley Panthers this summer.

Hooker, a senior, has signed with North Dakota. Jones, a junior, is still considering eight schools, including Duke, Michigan State, Kentucky, Kansas and Minnesota.

A couple of other tidbits from that article:

Gophers men's basketball coach Tubby Smith said he'll take the blame for overlooking South Dakota State point guard Nate Wolters, whom he didn't recruit out of St. Cloud Tech High.

Populous, the consulting firm the University of Minnesota hired to design a plan to improve Gophers athletic facilities, is expected to come up with a cost analysis this week. That would allow T. Denny Sanford, who is being cultivated as a multimillion-dollar benefactor, to know how much and where he could contribute.

Of late, though, there's been some buzz that Sanford might not be willing to give as much as the university has hoped he would.

Hooker ended up with 26 and played very well. Probably played better than Jones tonight. He definitely worked harder. Not sure how many assists he had but I would guess 8 or so.He was very good with the ball and had a number of passes where he looked off the defenders and found a teammate alone under the hoop or in the corner.Tyus Jones didn't shoot very well but still had 20 points and at least 10 assists.Fun atmosphere. The gym was packed. John Calipari was there as was coach Ahelegbe from UND.

Notes from Startriubne:

Highlights included Quinton Hooker seemingly dancing through the Apple Valley defense going right and left for scores kissing the ball off the rim and over contesting defenders. Back the other way Jones zipped passes into minute crevices that the naked eye can’t see (Tyus has Superman vision people) and late in the half Jones attacked alleys for four field goals and a dozen points at the break.

Former Sioux Kevin Wilson's son Malik played for Osseo in the game prior to AV-BC. He is about 6-9 and had 9 points and a number of rebounds.

That's some exciting stuff! Apparently he had 26 points as you said, and he also had 8 boards and 6 assists. I am very excited to see him play! Hopefully we can add a big man to this class.

Also, am I the only one worried about losing Hooker to a bigger school?

He already signed his letter of intent to UND back in Nov. No need to worry.....

He already signed his letter of intent to UND back in Nov. No need to worry.....

Even a signed letter isn't necessarily a guarantee. Ahelegbee is showing continued support, especially with all the other big name schools poking around Tyus Jones.

Hopefully Quinton can be the hook to lure in some forwards.

http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/571498/Williston-State-star-Curtis-coveted-by-NCAA-Division-I-programs.html?nav=5016

The effort of former WSC coach Hunter Berg made the search easier for the Twin Cities-area standout. Berg, now the athletic director at WSC, kept in touch with Curtis and showed the sort of loyalty that helped him lean in the Tetons' direction.

The fact that Berg helped produce Division I guards the last two seasons didn't hurt, either. Blake Nash signed with South Florida before he transferred to Texas Tech and Luke Martinez transferred to Wyoming.

"I didn't even know where Williston State was," Curtis said. "But I wanted to play for someone that took the time in me, and I was intrigued that (WSC) produced D-I players."

The Marquel Curtis Sweepstakes

A list of the NCAA I programs interested in the Williston State star.

Maryland

Utah

Miami (Fl.)

Butler

Georgia

Washington State

Wichita State

San Francisco

Portland

St. Louis

Tulsa

Northern Iowa

Sienna

North Dakota

North Dakota State

Missouri State

Georgia State

Cal State Fullerton

Love the way he finds the open teammates. Didn't count the number of times he penetrated part way thru the lane and dished to wide open guys for layups or jumpers but this is exactly what we need now. Anderson and Webb need to watch this video and they can learn alot from this kid. Anxious for him to wear a UND uniform.

Bold Prediction: Tomorrow Jabari Parker is going to choose the school that he will be playing for next season. Everybody seems to believe it is Duke or Michigan State but Jabari and his good friend Tyus Jones are ultimately going to decide to join Tyus's good friend Quinton Hooker at UND. Jabari will stay for two years so he can play a season with Tyus and will lead UND to the promise land.

Haha I know this is all outrageous and has no chance of happening but one can dream right?

• 1 month later...

http://iowa.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=940&script=content.asp&cid=1462791&fid=&tid=&mid=

Matt Nelson, Cedar Rapids Xavier, 6-8, 240, two sport athlete (Football - TE, OL) + basketball

He has yet to pick up a football offer, but in addition to hearing from Iowa, he is being recruited by Iowa State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Kansas State.

Nelson is also a standout basketball player in the Class of 2014, currently averaging 14 points a game for Xavier. He currently holds offers from Rice, Northern Colorado, and South Dakota State. He is also receiving interest from Iowa, Wisconsin, and North Dakota.