SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

Canisius Griffin (college newspaper): CCHA likely not an option unless new CCHA offers stability

It's actually possible that hockey realignment could allow three more programs to be added in the east: Buffalo, Rhode Island, and Navy, if the AHA commissioner is to be believed. (Moorhead could be another.)

If the four teams were to leave Atlantic Hockey, DeGregorio said the league would not immediately look to add replacement teams, but it wouldn't be out of the question.

"What I would urge the directors to do is always keep the door open," DeGregorio said, adding that the league (AHA) would take interest if schools like Rhode Island, Navy or even the University at Buffalo added Division I programs. "If they were to leave, we'd be at eight, [a] very workable number. … My urge to the directors would be to take the eight, redo the schedule, redo the playoff format."

With 12 members, the AHA is "full" and can't easily add new schools. By losing four schools, the AHA could easily add more. Rhode Island, Navy, and Buffalo have had to express some interest in membership for a conference commissioner to speak in those terms.

Bowling Green Sentinel-Tribune: AHA-4, Air Force, and BG may join WCHA as a group

Looks like Bowling Green, if it goes into the WCHA, wants to establish an eastern division with the AHA schools. That would allow travel to Minnesota and Alaska to be cut way back.

And it's not out of the question that Air Force, also a member of Atlantic Hockey, might consider a move to the WCHA.

Adding those four schools would help balance the revamped WCHA geographically. If BG and the four Atlantic Hockey schools joined the WCHA, the league would have 13 schools - six in the south/east; and seven in the north/west.

The media interest angle in MSP as a reason to pick up St. Cloud is completely baseless. Over all the years I have lived in this area, I've never seen an ounce of media interest in St. Cloud during the season unless it relates to playing the Gophers. There might have been one article by Patrick Reusse one time but nothing beyond that. Yzerman19 has the right perspective. St. Cloud is not of any interest to the MSP market. Not even a blip on the radar.

Hockey fans care about hockey and will watch it if it is on TV. Just read some of the threads on Sioux Sports during the season and you can get live updates on Maine vs. Northeastern. I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of TV's in the state of Minnesota (many of which are in the Cities area) tuned in to watch both Duluth and St.Cloud play. FSN needs this as they will be losing many of the Gopher games. Maybe having three teams in the FSN area is more attractive to them than two and they wanted SCSU in the league. If it's not FSN (say VS. or CBS college sports) I'm sure having more teams from the state of hockey to draw as viewers can only help. With college hockey being a Regional sport any network that would sign a deal would want teams located in hockey areas where they would have more potential viewers. The league may not have had SCSU first on their list but with where they are at now it might make sense based on how things shook out. I'm sure there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes (ie.. busine$$ decisions) that the public is not privy to that played part in them being ivited.

I'm not thrilled with the addition of St. Cloud. Blaming Gino for doing the job he was hired to do, if indeed he had a hand in it, is wrong.

Agreed. What are people going to say if he had a hand in it and then becomes the commissioner of the league? Be some interesting reading on this forum :lol:

Hockey fans care about hockey and will watch it if it is on TV. Just read some of the threads on Sioux Sports during the season and you can get live updates on Maine vs. Northeastern. I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of TV's in the state of Minnesota (many of which are in the Cities area) tuned in to watch both Duluth and St.Cloud play. FSN needs this as they will be losing many of the Gopher games. Maybe having three teams in the FSN area is more attractive to them than two and they wanted SCSU in the league. If it's not FSN (say VS. or CBS college sports) I'm sure having more teams from the state of hockey to draw as viewers can only help. With college hockey being a Regional sport any network that would sign a deal would want teams located in hockey areas where they would have more potential viewers. The league may not have had SCSU first on their list but with where they are at now it might make sense based on how things shook out. I'm sure there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes (ie.. busine$$ decisions) that the public is not privy to that played part in them being ivited.

Getting scores on a message board is quite easy and people can follow multiple games at once that way very easily. That's not how people tend to watch games on TV though. Using people commenting on a message board about another game as some baseline for how much interest there might be on TV for multiple games is a pretty big leap. UMD and SCSU have a tough enough time getting TV attention locally, let alone getting it in a Twin Cities market that is dominated by the Gophers. I don't think you have a very grounded view on this.

Most people are only going to intently watch one game at a time on TV and it is going to be the team they most closely associate with. Considering most college games are on at the same time, there is a limited amount of crossover. I don't know about you but I'm not going to waste my time watching an SCSU game when the Sioux are on (unless it was in between periods of our game) and I can guarantee you that is how it will be elsewhere. You aren't going to see very many hockey fans picking a game with SCSU or UMD in it over the Gophers in the Twin Cities outside of a small number of alumni from those schools. That is just common sense.

Getting scores on a message board is quite easy and people can follow multiple games at once that way very easily. That's not how people tend to watch games on TV though. Using people commenting on a message board about another game as some baseline for how much interest there might be on TV for multiple games is a pretty big leap. UMD and SCSU have a tough enough time getting TV attention locally, let alone getting it in a Twin Cities market that is dominated by the Gophers. I don't think you have a very grounded view on this.

Most people are only going to intently watch one game at a time on TV and it is going to be the team they most closely associate with. Considering most college games are on at the same time, there is a limited amount of crossover. I don't know about you but I'm not going to waste my time watching an SCSU game when the Sioux are on (unless it was in between periods of our game) and I can guarantee you that is how it will be elsewhere. You aren't going to see very many hockey fans picking a game with SCSU or UMD in it over the Gophers in the Twin Cities outside of a small number of alumni from those schools. That is just common sense.

I never said they would replace their favorite team by watching, I said hockey fans watch college hockey games (yes somtimes it's not the whole game) So when the Sioux are playing in Denver and UMD/St. Cloud are playing in Miami/Western Michigan no one will watch? Hmmmmm.... I'm a hockey fan and I know I will. I have Direct TV and watch Hockey East games, it's what hockey fans do. YOU can guarentee that's how it will be elswhere????? Thanks, GOD!!! :glare:

SCSU is in. People in Grand Forks know "St Cloud" it will always be a good draw at the Ralph. They are going to upgrade their arena, and its a easy drive for Sioux Fans. Its a good addition.

Anyways, exciting times ahead. No more Broadmoor Trophy. No more McNaughton Cup. Will be interesting to see these new trophies. The Broadmoor should be easy to beat especially with the ugly new one, but the McNaughton Cup was a beautiful trophy.

SCSU is in. People in Grand Forks know "St Cloud" it will always be a good draw at the Ralph. They are going to upgrade their arena, and its a easy drive for Sioux Fans. Its a good addition.

Anyways, exciting times ahead. No more Broadmoor Trophy. No more McNaughton Cup. Will be interesting to see these new trophies. The Broadmoor should be easy to beat especially with the ugly new one, but the McNaughton Cup was a beautiful trophy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the WCHA lets the Broadmoor go. That is a tie to CC, which will no longer be in the league. Whatever happens I hope the regular season title stays meaningful and is viewed as the "true" conference championship. The NCHC will be a real grind and the r.s. title will be hard earned.

With the BTHC planning to schedule hockey for Friday, Sunday, Monday, and possibly Tuesday (to help fill BTN programming gaps), college hockey is heading down the same route as college football, where non-traditional game days are common on ESPN. Hopefully, the NCHC will stay traditional in its scheduling approach, as a high portion of UND's fans are from out of town.

MLive: Hockey madness fault of NCHC, not Big Ten

Huntsville Times: Interview with WCHA's McLeod on Sept 12th

We're at nine committed teams and offers out to two additional, Western Michigan (which has since accepted an offer to the NCHC) and Bowling Green. There's a Sept 24 deadline on that (Bowling Green asked for, and received, an extension). That will be one of the deadlines that's looming out there for us that will push us in one direction or another depending on what they do. The other thing out there is Notre Dame's decision, which will start some other dominoes.

In addition to that, we've visited with a potential new program, I can't divulge the name at this point, but we've talked with that program and have made some talks with other teams.

I can say that in different scenarios, that UAH is definitely on a list and in consideration. But again, it just kind of all depends on what shakes out. From my guestimation, where UAH comes into it is if the WCHA goes beyond 12. But if the membership stays at 12 (or under), that's a much more difficult situation for UAH.

Alabama-Huntsville hockey frozen

"This is not about abolishing hockey," said Portera on Wednesday, saying the decision was strictly financial. He said it's not fair that baseball at UAH gets just $325,000 a year and softball gets $250,000 while hockey absorbs five times as much.

"Think about the unhappy softball parents," said Finis St. John, president pro tem of the Alabama board of trustees. "We have to think about all of it."

The answer, as Portera and others have suggested, could lie in returning the team to club status, where the Chargers enjoyed plenty of success throughout the 1980s.

"We never have intended to eliminate hockey at UAH," Portera said. "We are looking at an option that we go back to where we won three national championships at the club level."

.... a club team at UAH will not automatically get to play Alabama, Auburn or any big SEC draws, said Quenneville. "They've got bylaws. They're not going to open up that league to non-SEC teams," said Quenneville, saying the club league at SEC schools has already rejected membership for Clemson, Georgia Tech and Memphis. "All these schools want to be in our league."

"This community, when hockey was started here, it was as club hockey community," Luongo said. "Now it's not. Now it's a sophisticated, Division I (hockey) community."

"Think about the unhappy softball parents." :silly: I'm sure they are concerned about the softball players relative to football players at Jacksonville St, Troy, UAB, Auburn, and Alabama. :lol:

A program without a conference can't be successful and can't make any money. If the WCHA comes through, that all changes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the WCHA lets the Broadmoor go. That is a tie to CC, which will no longer be in the league. Whatever happens I hope the regular season title stays meaningful and is viewed as the "true" conference championship. The NCHC will be a real grind and the r.s. title will be hard earned.

According to Brad's blog post from July 13th.

Ralph said that the Broadmoor Trophy will stay with the WCHA. He said they discussed losing the Broadmoor and the MacNaughton Cup, and it was something that the teams didn

Bowling Green Sentinel-Tribune: Buffalo may have major donor to help start program

The University at Buffalo could be returning to a revamped Central Collegiate Hockey Association. The Bulls are exploring the possibility of restoring their varsity hockey program, the school confirmed late Friday afternoon. BG played Buffalo twice each season from 1973-77.

The Bulls were a CCHA affiliate for at least the 1973-74 and 1974-75 seasons, competing in Division II with Western Michigan and Lake Forest (Ill). The school was known as the State University of New York at Buffalo at the time.

But one source said Jeremy Jacobs, owner of the NHL

Notre Dame is supposedly going to make their decision on which conference they are going to pick within the next couple of days. Reports are that it is down to NCHC and HEA. Supposedly HEA was out of the picture but due to tv markets, may be back in the picture. Some are speculating as to who would be the 12th team if ND selects HEA. RPI is one of the rumors for a 12th team. Here is a link to Mike McMahon's twitter...a writer for Merrimack college.

http://twitter.com/#!/mikemcmahonet

I don't but Brad seems to think that ND will still end up in the NCHC but who knows.

By the NCHC going to eight teams, that seemed a clue, as nine teams doesn't work well for playoffs or near the end of the season. Also can't see Notre Dame joining a league with St Cloud St, although stranger things have happened. (UMass-Lowell is probably close to being a St Cloud academically, but BC, BU, Providence, and even Merrimack have much more affinity to the Irish brand.)

Screw Notre Dame and their Decision. When did they become the Lebron James of college hockey? :) They better be careful what they wish for because if they do pick Hockey East and their fancy new TV deal, we can all watch how they fare against a steady diet of BC, BU, Maine, UNH, etc.

• Upvote 1

If Notre Dame decides to join the Hockey East that'd be pretty baffling. Do they want to join a bus league and be the school that has to travel by plane for every away conference game? This is their hockey program, not football. I don't really think ND cares too much about the other schools in the HE besides BC and if they want to play them regularly they easily could if they choose NCHC.

The NCHC is definitely the better fit for Notre Dame, hell the majority of Notre Dame fans want their team to be in the NCHC. Because of this, I wouldn't be all too surprised if Notre Dame goes Hockey East. :lol: