SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

I'm not seeing the rest of the conference agree to a non-US tournament site.

UMD and St. Cloud might be less resistant. I bet Denver and UNO wouldn't mind getting their foot in that recruiting ground. I hate the thought of the UND and the NCHC playing second banana behind Minn and the Big 10 for the Xcel.

I am going to play Commissioner for a moment, or perhaps College Hockey Czar.

Why not have both conference tournaments at the X the same weekend?

If both are whittled down to the Top 4 teams in each conference advancing to St. Paul why not a format like this?

Friday: NCHC Semfinals (5:00pm and 8:00pm)

Saturday: Big 10 Seminfinal #1 (2:00pm) / Big 10 Semifinal #2 (5:00pm) / NCHC Championship (8:00pm)

Sunday: Big 10 Championship (afternoon game)

Think of it -- best case scenario: Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Wisconsin fans along with North Dakota, Duluth, Denver, and CC fans all in one place in one weekend.

Actually, best case scenario would be Minnesota at home, replaced by Ohio State.

I find it highly unlikely that the two conferences would want to "co-exist" on a weekend.

I don't know if they would play second banana. Look at what happens to attendance when Minnesota isn't there. And yes there is a 6 team tourney, but after minnesota gets beat out, good luck.

The same can be said of any of these new conferences: There isn't an ideal situation like there is for the current WCHA.

Let's just say, the Big 10 goes to Detroit and assume UMN is in safe NCAA position. Would I as a Gopher fan want to travel to Detroit for the conference tournament, then possibly a Regional tournament, then possibly a Frozen Four somewhere which would all include fairly extensive travel plans and $$$.

Same thing can be said about UND. What if it ends up in Denver? Are Sioux fans willing to travel to Denver, then a Regional and then quite possibly a Frozen Four? As fans only so much can be expected regarding travel, I don't care how die hard you are.

Bottom line as we all know it: The future sucks.

The same can be said of any of these new conferences: There isn't an ideal situation like there is for the current WCHA.

Let's just say, the Big 10 goes to Detroit and assume UMN is in safe NCAA position. Would I as a Gopher fan want to travel to Detroit for the conference tournament, then possibly a Regional tournament, then possibly a Frozen Four somewhere which would all include fairly extensive travel plans and $$$.

Same thing can be said about UND. What if it ends up in Denver? Are Sioux fans willing to travel to Denver, then a Regional and then quite possibly a Frozen Four? As fans only so much can be expected regarding travel, I don't care how die hard you are.

Bottom line as we all know it: The future sucks.

This is why many don't go to regionals...

I am going to play Commissioner for a moment, or perhaps College Hockey Czar.

Why not have both conference tournaments at the X the same weekend?

If both are whittled down to the Top 4 teams in each conference advancing to St. Paul why not a format like this?

Friday: NCHC Semfinals (5:00pm and 8:00pm)

Saturday: Big 10 Seminfinal #1 (2:00pm) / Big 10 Semifinal #2 (5:00pm) / NCHC Championship (8:00pm)

Sunday: Big 10 Championship (afternoon game)

Think of it -- best case scenario: Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Wisconsin fans along with North Dakota, Duluth, Denver, and CC fans all in one place in one weekend.

Actually, best case scenario would be Minnesota at home, replaced by Ohio State.

It would have to be a weekend before the NCAA tournament is announced. The 16 teams in the tournament are normally announced the day after the Final Five. Since whoever wins the conference tournament gets an automatic berth in the tournament...you couldn't have the Big Ten or the NCHC championship game in the afternoon that day. If that all makes sense.

I think it's funny how a certain fan base just assume that he B1G would automatically get the Xcel Energy Center over the NCHC.

I think that it's more than just MN fans. Many UND fans are expecting that as well. It seems the NCHC has been sort of disfunctional since the beginning. I hope Mr. Faison and friends have this figured out.

I think that it's more than just MN fans. Many UND fans are expecting that as well. It seems the NCHC has been sort of disfunctional since the beginning. I hope Mr. Faison and friends have this figured out.

This is one case where they can make the argument that there will be more fans in attendance, Minnesota Duluth, UND, SCSU and possibly UNO fan bases right there that will travel to the games.That was also one of the arguments for allowing SCSU into the league.

I think it's funny how a certain fan base just assume that he B1G would automatically get the Xcel Energy Center over the NCHC.

If the B1G is interested you can bet that the Xcel would be more interested in them than the NCHC just because of Minnesota. A newer report I read tonight said it's very possible that the B1G tournament will rotate between the X and JLA. Could that open the possibility of the NCHC doing a rotation between Denver and St. Paul? I believe Jupiter said that's how he thought it would be fair. If the rotation between those two arenas for the B1G is going to happen I can definitely see that situation playing out. We'll find out within three weeks what the B1G decides.

If the B1G is interested you can bet that the Xcel would be more interested in them than the NCHC just because of Minnesota. A newer report I read tonight said it's very possible that the B1G tournament will rotate between the X and JLA. Could that open the possibility of the NCHC doing a rotation between Denver and St. Paul? I believe Jupiter said that's how he thought it would be fair. If the rotation between those two arenas for the B1G is going to happen I can definitely see that situation playing out. We'll find out within three weeks what the B1G decides.

A regional in Denver would be unproductive because it would be sparsely attended. We have already determined that DU and C.C. have very few fans that travel anywhere. DU doesn't sell their arena out very often...

Edited by Goon

I don't see how Michigan schools and Joe Louis Arena allow Minnesota to host every year.

I don't see how Michigan schools and Joe Louis Arena allow Minnesota to host every year.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The CCHA's best tournament attendance at JLA was just over 34,000 total. The WCHA record is over 88,000. Michigan doesn't have as many hockey fans as people think. The Red Wings are extremely popular but college hockey isn't as big in Michigan as people think. At least that's what i'm told every year when I visit Michigan. I can ask people again in June if you want :bigsmile:

A regional in Denver would be unproductive because it would be sparsely attended. We have already determined that DU and C.C. have very few fans that travel anywhere. DU doesn't sell their arena out very often...

This is true, how about Omaha and St. Paul? I would say Grand Forks but Omaha's arena holds more people and it's a better destination city.

• Upvote 1

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The CCHA's best tournament attendance at JLA was just over 34,000 total. The WCHA record is over 88,000. Michigan doesn't have as many hockey fans as people think. The Red Wings are extremely popular but college hockey isn't as big in Michigan as people think. At least that's what i'm told every year when I visit Michigan. I can ask people again in June if you want :bigsmile:

Do you think Minnesota can carry the Big10 at the Excel? SCSU, Duluth, UNO and UND bring a lot more fans to the Excel than Wisconsin. Plus, if Minnesota drops out early you have no back-up fan base to carry the Excel. Gophs go out early - the Excel will be a empty. The National has SCSU, Duluth, UND and UNO. It has four regional teams to help carry the attendance.

This is true, how about Omaha and St. Paul? I would say Grand Forks but Omaha's arena holds more people and it's a better destination city.

. Go where you can get the most money...I don't think Omaha comes close to selling out their place, they typically curtain off sections iirc. As far as destination cities go, it would be a tossup for many simply based on the distance traveled to get there. I won't be attending the Livestock Museum while I am there, just going to see some hockey.

As far as

I like the idea of a St. Paul/Omaha rotation vs. St. Paul/Denver if necessary. Omaha is a great road trip with a convenient downtown location for their arena. I haven't been to Denver yet, but will be knocking that one off the list in a couple weeks, althought the experience will be different going to Magness than it would be going to Pepsi. Ok...maybe I just want to drive to the tourney every year instead of fly!

• Upvote 1

I don't either and Michigan is one of the more powerful schools in the B1G.

I'm sure it will rotate between a couple places if not more. The BIG TEN basketball tourney has rotated between Indy and Chicago all these years, I'm sure the hockey will be similar. Xcel, Bradley Center, United Center, and Joe Louis arena would all work.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If money is an issue for Michigan, they could just do an outdoor game every year and fill the Big House with over 110,000 people. It has always shocked me that they can get that many people for a game at Michigan, yet they stay status quo in a 6000 seat Yost Arena. How much money are they losing by not building a new arena. I would bet that somewhere not too far off in the future Michigan will build a fancy new arena and they will have a much easier time recruiting the top end guys than they already do.