SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

This is actually no knock against NDSU, but I agree. Let the former AC retain that history.

I still don't understand why NDSU does not embrace their past. I have said this before, but Colorado State University embraces their old Agricultural & Mechanical name, Colorado A & M. The shirts, jerseys, etc. are word by their students in big, big numbers.

I know I tease the Hell outta NDSU for being the "Vo-Tech" of agriculture, but only because they are embarrassed by their past. Which is as stupid as LakesBison is drunk.

Here are a bunch of Colorado State University students and their basketball team embracing their history wearing the Orange and Green of Colorado A & M Aggies!

545567_10152590174120615_1160510836_n.jpg

C'mon, Hayduke, who doesn't do throwback jerseys these days? Throwback jerseys, 17 different football helmets and jersey combinations, black jerseys, matte helmets, inscriptions on the back of basketball jerseys...all gimmicks. Just look at Indiana football...

Screen_Shot_2013-06-03_at_2.34.16_PM.png

Yeah, that sounds nice. Green Death.

Yep, I like it. But since I'm against the Rough Riders for obvious reasons I guess UND can't be 'green' due to the proximity of EGF High School.

I guess it's the University of North Dakota Green Rough Knights. ;)

Yep, I like it. But since I'm against the Rough Riders for obvious reasons I guess UND can't be 'green' due to the proximity of EGF High School.

I guess it's the University of North Dakota Green Rough Knights. ;)

I prefer the UND Green and White Wave Riders!

Does Roughnecks or Roughneckers resonate with anyone, playing on the state's oil and gas exploration history?

Others I've been kicking around in my head, include:

Wheatkings

Sodbusters

Homesteaders

Riverboaters

Plainsmen

Pride (a lion could be used as a mascot in this regard)

Rough Riders

Nakota

Norse

Badlanders

Remember, many of the nicknames of other universities that we accept as "ok" or "pretty cool," were probably regarded as "lame" at one time, too, but because we've grown up with them, they've somehow become accepted and interwoven in the fabric of said institution.

Rivalry aside, imagine if Minny had a different nickname, and it was us that chose the name "Gophers." To me, that name seems pretty lame on the surface, but because of the tradition and history that it carries in Minnesota and because generations there have grown up with it, it's a source of pride and you'd be hard pressed to find any of its fan base who's ashamed of it today.

I have thought of "Pride" (lion image) as well and think it might be interesting. My other favorite that is not listed is "Express" with some railroad related image.

Guy working at the liquor store in the cities saw my Sioux hat and said he wishes the gophers would have had a logo like that(Sioux logo). He then said UND should pull a page from Prince

Just have a symbol and call UND "the team formally known as the Sioux". :D

I was watching American's Got Talent last night and saw something that disrespected Native Americans more then a logo. I don't get how Natives can complain about a logo and not something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHpGQAN_9Tw

Skip to 1:39 on the video and see what I mean

Remember though, most natives were not complaining about the nickname. The few that were wont complain about this because it would be too much work and they wouldn't be recognized for complaining about this.

• 2 weeks later...

C'mon, Hayduke, who doesn't do throwback jerseys these days? Throwback jerseys, 17 different football helmets and jersey combinations, black jerseys, matte helmets, inscriptions on the back of basketball jerseys...all gimmicks. Just look at Indiana football...

Screen_Shot_2013-06-03_at_2.34.16_PM.png

Oh, I know.

My point is that the Ag school down the road is ashamed of their past history.

They should be more ashamed of their recent history...

Oh, I know.

My point is that the Ag school down the road is ashamed of their past history.

They should be more ashamed of their recent history...

Nothing to be ashamed of with 2 NC and 1 Dance trip..oh you mean the off field stuff, that's just made up stuff by the media. It doesn't matter as long as championships are won.

If UND becomes the "Pride" or "Spirit" I may have to quit watching college sports..... :angry:

I think the new name will be something like this. You know it won't be anything related to a human or group of people, living or extinct. Animals might even be off limits!