SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

He said he thought about what he had heard at those meetings when approving names, especially a woman at a meeting in Denver who said she thought the name should be one every person could project their own meaning on to.

Uh, a nickname should be unifying per the committee's own criteria.

Didn't we just come from an allegedly "divisive" name and now we should pick something that each person "could project their own meaning on to" ... good or bad.

That in itself is divisive, not unifying.

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/news/education/3751843-hawks-flickertails-and-wooly-mammoths-oh-my-committee-members-explain-some

Bridewell and McDonald both approve of "Sundogs" and the Professor also likes "Force of the North" because it's "inclusive."

Fabulous.

Sundogs will forever be linked to the folks that started this whole mess. It is divisive on that point alone and must be summarily rejected on that point alone.

A lot of the season ticket holders I have talked to like Ridas

As a GFC alumn I didn't like Roughriders at first, but that name has grown on me, and if UND was the Roughriders (or Ridas) I wouldn't have any problem cheering Go Riders.

I haven't ran across one person from GF (the majority of the fan base that actually attends the games) that likes the Rough Riders nickname. The reason is very obvious and has been mentioned over and over on this forum so I'm not going to mention it again.

Roughriders is one name I just can't support.   Something about it that rubs me the wrong way.

I haven't ran across one person from GF (the majority of the fan base that actually attends the games) that likes the Rough Riders nickname. The reason is very obvious and has been mentioned over and over on this forum so I'm not going to mention it again.

I attend the majority of games, like high school athletics, live in Grand Forks, grew up in the area, and still like the name Rough Riders for UND.  Now what?

Lame was defined in a GF Herald article that I quoted on the prior page:

... the name should be one every person could project their own meaning on to.

Examples? Well, as dakota said: Spirit, Force, ... 

Bah!  Please stop it with the Roughriders already.  I get back from a long weekend of drinking and napping and watching Bickell turn a simple dump-n-change into the most horrifying 5 seconds thus far in the Hawks' 2015 postseason only to see another discussion on Roughriders?  And then there's the shorter "Riders".  Riders of what?  At least the former tells us how or in what manner we are going to ride.

I have to admit, for sheer awfulness, it's tough to beat Wooly Mammoth.  Tip o' the cap to the sly jokester who pushed that one through without protest.

taz dark horse predictions:  look for "wings" to gain steam.  Not that I like it.  I dislike them all equally and intensely, with the exception of "North Dakota."

• Upvote 1

Bah!  Please stop it with the Roughriders already.  I get back from a long weekend of drinking and napping and watching Bickell turn a simple dump-n-change into the most horrifying 5 seconds thus far in the Hawks' 2015 postseason only to see another discussion on Roughriders?  And then there's the shorter "Riders".  Riders of what?  At least the former tells us how or in what manner we are going to ride.

I have to admit, for sheer awfulness, it's tough to beat Wooly Mammoth.  Tip o' the cap to the sly jokester who pushed that one through without protest.

taz dark horse predictions:  look for "wings" to gain steam.  Not that I like it.  I dislike them all equally and intensely, with the exception of "North Dakota."

Agree.

I submit for belated consideration ...

Tasmanian-Devil.jpg

I don't disagree.  Any intense dislike I had has evolved to indifference, unfortunately.