SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

So now the media makes a big deal out of the cost of finding a new nickname - and now UND is getting blased for allowing too much discussion on the process.  I remember the  issue of the expense of moving away from Fighting Sious was brought up very early in the discussion and the response from the liberals was that it needed to be done no matter what the cost. If you think this is expensive just wait until the cost for changing over to a new name and removing all references to it on campus come into play.

The ones who forced this issue should be made to come up with the dough (not gonna happen) Speaking of dough - maybe some of the groups that pushed this so hard could have a fry bread fundraiser and donate the money to the cause? 

if there's one thing i've learned growing up in North Dakota, there is nothing that can't be fundraised via bake sale or pancake/sausage breakfast

• Upvote 1

So now the media makes a big deal out of the cost of finding a new nickname - and now UND is getting blased for allowing too much discussion on the process.  I remember the  issue of the expense of moving away from Fighting Sious was brought up very early in the discussion and the response from the liberals was that it needed to be done no matter what the cost. If you think this is expensive just wait until the cost for changing over to a new name and removing all references to it on campus come into play.

The ones who forced this issue should be made to come up with the dough (not gonna happen) Speaking of dough - maybe some of the groups that pushed this so hard could have a fry bread fundraiser and donate the money to the cause? 

This.  Can't remember the number, but it was big.  Price tag is only going to grow once they come up with a name as well.

$126,261.95

Well aware what the current price tag is.  I'm talking about the estimates they had years ago when the nickname change was originally being debated I believe it included the process of coming up with a new one and implementation an changes across campus.  It was (and will be) spendy.

Well aware what the current price tag is.  I'm talking about the estimates they had years ago when the nickname change was originally being debated I believe it included the process of coming up with a new one and implementation an changes across campus.  It was (and will be) spendy.

Wasn't that in the 2-5 Million ball park?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2628507

Sounds familiar!! 

After further research, I found this

On March 11, 2011, it was announced that McMurry University's athletic teams would be known as the War Hawks. The new mascot was chosen after a nearly year-long search to find a new mascot to replace the former Indian mascot, which had been taken away by the NCAA in 2006.

UND is going on 2+ years with no name.  I sure hope we don't go the route of McMurry state and wait 5 years before the powers that be wise up and realize that no nickname is a bad idea.

I really hope these committees are looking at what other schools that were forced to change their names did.  I think a lot can be learned of what to do and not to do in the process.

The affordable care act is known as obamacare. What should the new nickname process be tagged with? Kelley#%$?

Sorry couldn't come up with anything that sounded good. maybe we should hire some pricey consultants to come up with a board who can determine a process to put a name to this fiasco in place;)

• Upvote 1

The affordable care act is known as obamacare. What should the new nickname process be tagged with? Kelley#%$?

Sorry couldn't come up with anything that sounded good. maybe we should hire some pricey consultants to come up with a board who can determine a process to put a name to this fiasco in place;)

Gruber.

You are missing out on a revenue stream of rolling out a new name/logo. Just "North Dakota" will be more difficult to market.

Yup.....if Sundogs or something similarly lame isn't implemented soon UND is going to miss out on the potential renuve from those looking for some new street cred college gear to wear in areas like Ferguson, Mo., the Hamptons and on the SR rez.........

Yup.....if Sundogs or something similarly lame isn't implemented soon UND is going to miss out on the potential renuve from those looking for some new street cred college gear to wear in areas like Ferguson, Mo., the Hamptons and on the SR rez.........

And once the new gear catches on, it's only a matter of time until it ends up on the big screen...

0608597_43616_MC_Tx360_zpsb484673d.jpg

• Upvote 1

And once the new gear catches on, it's only a matter of time until it ends up on the big screen...

0608597_43616_MC_Tx360_zpsb484673d.jpg

True........and then with a boom in sales and revenue UND will at least have enough $$ to build its FBS FB stadium. I'm starting to see this all come together now!

The survey results say otherwise. Curious what your basing your statement off of?

Really - I thought there was an equal amount who said stay North Dakota - it was only when the question was worded to say they HAD TO choose a nickname that a majority said move ahead - lie, damn lies and statistics. (Although I am quite confident there is no way they are going to let there be no nickname - there's plenty of advertising agencies waiting in line for that job.) 

What names do u think will makes us all run out & buy ?

Actually I'm amazed how many just ND items I'm seeing being worn

Ask GF Central how much more money is coming in from Knights gear compared to just GFC gear of 1992-1994.

People are buying just ND gear because Sioux gear is getting more and more scarce. You go to stores outside of the Sioux shop at the REA it's tough to find it.