SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Fair enough.  But in light of recent developments with the Redskins issue, the collective noise coming from the Sooner State (as reported by OK-based media) was very anti-nickname and nobody seemed too concerned with splitting hairs.  Have to wonder if the tide there has turned in the past several years.

The Redskins name and the Cleveland Indians name and logo are causing more people to speak out all over the country.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see even more people come out against all Native American nicknames.  Several people predicted this would happen during the Fighting Sioux name debate.  Florida State has permission to use the Seminole name right now, but they have no guarantee that they will have that permission forever.

The Redskins name and the Cleveland Indians name and logo are causing more people to speak out all over the country. I wouldn't be surprised if we see even more people come out against all Native American nicknames. Several people predicted this would happen during the Fighting Sioux name debate. Florida State has permission to use the Seminole name right now, but they have no guarantee that they will have that permission forever.

The outrage is on Washington's nickname not the logo where as in Cleveland it's chief Wahoo that NA is pissed about not the nickname Indians. Maybe the two should swap. The Washington Indians with their current logo, and the Cleveland Indians with the Washington Redskins logo. Mahnomen HS is nicknamed Indians and a lot of schools have a logo like the Redskins so maybe a compromise can be reached.

The outrage is on Washington's nickname not the logo where as in Cleveland it's chief Wahoo that NA is pissed about not the nickname Indians. Maybe the two should swap. The Washington Indians with their current logo, and the Cleveland Indians with the Washington Redskins logo. Mahnomen HS is nicknamed Indians and a lot of schools have a logo like the Redskins so maybe a compromise can be reached.

The entire situation keeps developing.  At some point people will want to get rid of both nickname and logo for both Washington and Cleveland.  It will happen with other Native American nicknames and logos.  The furor over the Redskins nickname is just the latest step in the process.  Mahnomen is on a reservation, so many of the students actually are Indians.  That isn't a good comparison.

The entire situation keeps developing. At some point people will want to get rid of both nickname and logo for both Washington and Cleveland. It will happen with other Native American nicknames and logos. The furor over the Redskins nickname is just the latest step in the process. Mahnomen is on a reservation, so many of the students actually are Indians. That isn't a good comparison.

Maybe I should have said Warroad or Mandan as neither cities are on reservations. By saying Mahnomen is the Indians just prove the double standard that goes with NA nicknames especially when they (NA) claim people aren't mascots.

For some folks reality isn't real until it's all too real.

If there really is this undercurrent at SL and SR that really doesn't want the name banished permanently* it won't bubble to the surface until the new name is selected and on the fast track to installation and reality.

But honestly, I don't expect that undercurrent to appear. If it didn't rear up before it won't happen now either.

*Once there's a new name in place the old name is never coming back. This "no name" limbo is a joke and a way to keep saying the old name with having to really claim it ... and I wonder when the NCAA will see through the "no moniker" ruse for what it is.

• Upvote 1

UND nickname taskforce seeks input for naming process

Invitations will be sent to 180 people for each of the Nov. 5 and 6 meetings, but the forums will be open to the public as well. The invited attendees will be asked for their input on developing the process of what the plan to pick a new logo and nickname should look like.

Members of the public attending of their own accord will have a chance to submit input as well, though one of the group’s two mediators, Marie Miyashiro, cautioned the task force to separate input from desired stakeholders from that of other members of the public.

I'm developing a committee to develop a committee to begin the process of forming a task force that will look into a way of selecting a new nickname.

Once that task force comes up with a process of how to select a new name, a task force will be named with coming up with a new name "recommendations". Then another task force will be assigned to look into those nicknames with all the pros and cons of each name.

Then I'll pick the nickname.

Signed, Robert Kelly.

• Upvote 2

I'm developing a committee to develop a committee to begin the process of forming a task force that will look into a way of selecting a new nickname.

Once that task force comes up with a process of how to select a new name, a task force will be named with coming up with a new name "recommendations". Then another task force will be assigned to look into those nicknames with all the pros and cons of each name.

The task force plans to reach out to groups on campus and find out the best way to invite those with a vested interest in the nickname choosing process.

Task force to see how to invite people?! Can't they just ask them?

Seems like no one wants to say or do anything concrete.

This latest task force to develop the process for creating a task force that will create a process to come up with a new nickname is just another round of CYA politics by the current administration. That way when Sundogs or Prairie Chickens is chosen, it will have the appearance of input and collaboration from all major stakeholders. In reality it's a clusterf*ck of epic proportions that will ultimately please no one.

Wow, I feel better now.

• Upvote 2

& again why did Stenjhem settle for it bring ok to get two tribes to ok the name when Florida only had to have one- were we discriminated against or in some other way not treated the same - could we have sued to challenge that ?

I thought I heard that the Univ. of Minnesota wasn't going to allow the Redskin logo at TCF stadium when the Vikes play Washington there. I know the Univ. of Minnesota wasn't playing us in a lot of sports because of our logo. Now I hear the U of M isn't trying to stop it. When it comes to Indian logos their sure seems to be a lot of inconsistencies in the enforcement of policies nationwide.

I thought I heard that the Univ. of Minnesota wasn't going to allow the Redskin logo at TCF stadium when the Vikes play Washington there. I know the Univ. of Minnesota wasn't playing us in a lot of sports because of our logo. Now I hear the U of M isn't trying to stop it. When it comes to Indian logos their sure seems to be a lot of inconsistencies in the enforcement of policies nationwide.

$$$$$

• Upvote 1

That was their excuse to not get their a** kicked by us :)

The University is essentially renting TCF Bank Stadium to the Vikings on NFL gameday. There is no way they can prohibit the Redskins from wearing their regular uniforms.

The University is essentially renting TCF Bank Stadium to the Vikings on NFL gameday. There is no way they can prohibit the Redskins from wearing their regular uniforms.

The U has tried to get the vikings to agree not to pronounce the Name, and not to put the logo or name on the scoreboards/programs but I think the Vikings said no, that they are part of the NFL who makes the decision if a name is allowed to be used or not.