SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Students make the rivalry. The students appear to care less. Without football, it is going to die. Talk to students in Grand Forks how they feel about NDSU and talk to students in Fargo how they feel about UND. Now compare that to when you were in school.

If only there were a way to get that back? If only there were a sport that both schools play that they used to play against each other for over a century and haven't played in over a decade that people have been wanting to play ever since, that they could play each other in!!

You do realize that the game this year was played on a Sunday afternoon when it was below zero outside? Also the game was televised!! Maybe that had a little to do with attendance...don't you think??

"Without football, rivalry is going away" - Question...do you want the rivalry to go away??? Why?? Why do some Bison fans not care about this century long rivalry?? Why this cocky "we don't need you anymore" attitude? Pathetic and childish if you ask me.

I doubt the television had much to do with the attendence. NDSU's football games are well attended and on tv, same with UND hockey.

Answer, I don't care if it keeps going or goes away. UND didn't seem to care too much about the rivalry back in '03. If it was that important they could have kept playing. Neither school needs the other one.

I doubt the television had much to do with the attendence. NDSU's football games are well attended and on tv, same with UND hockey.

Answer, I don't care if it keeps going or goes away. UND didn't seem to care too much about the rivalry back in '03. If it was that important they could have kept playing. Neither school needs the other one.

Obviously NDSU needed to level up on UND and cry that UND cancelled the series an so in response since both teams are on the same level GT refuses to sign a deal with UND...sounds childish doesn't it? Obviously SDSU had no problem scheduling UND in a home and home but yet NDSU has a million excuses not to.

How old were you in '03? 10 or 11? I doubt you have a whole lot of insight of what went on other than some revisionist history you've read on the intertubes.

• Upvote 1

Do we really have to explain this to you AGAIN to the reasons that UND decided to not play NDSU anymore in 2004? One more time...here are the reasons.

1) UND was still compteing at the D2 level. When it came to the playoffs, only wins against D2 schools counted as wins when being looked at by the NCAA playoff committee. So playing NDSU or any D1 (or even D3 school) would not help and actually could hurt their chances of making the playoffs at the end of the year. This was the main reason UND did not want to play NDSU.

2) As a D1 school, NDSU received more scholarships for their players than UND, a D2 school. So in the minds of UND officials, it was not an even playing field.

So those are the two main reasons UND chose not to play NDSU in 2014. Had it been the other way around, NDSU would have done the exact same thing. And you can't deny it.

Question- Have the Gophers told the Bison they will not schedule them anymore in football. Or are the Gophers still playing the Dakota schools. Will UND be included in the rotation if they still are. And NDSU would take any school off there schedule if it hurt there playoff chances.

Do we really have to explain this to you AGAIN to the reasons that UND decided to not play NDSU anymore in 2004? One more time...here are the reasons.

1) UND was still compteing at the D2 level. When it came to the playoffs, only wins against D2 schools counted as wins when being looked at by the NCAA playoff committee. So playing NDSU or any D1 (or even D3 school) would not help and actually could hurt their chances of making the playoffs at the end of the year. This was the main reason UND did not want to play NDSU.

2) As a D1 school, NDSU received more scholarships for their players than UND, a D2 school. So in the minds of UND officials, it was not an even playing field.

So those are the two main reasons UND chose not to play NDSU in 2014. Had it been the other way around, NDSU would have done the exact same thing. And you can't deny it.

And yet we had no problem playing and beating uni. We robbed ourselves of an epic 2007 game

Johnnyboy, sorry but you make our fanbase look like shortbussers. One would only have to look back to Ojuri asking to fill the September opening with UND or Marcus Williams saying "Sioux *&$^" at the FargoDome ceremony last year to realize it would matter something to today's players.

Play the freaking game already.

• Upvote 2

Students make the rivalry. The students appear to care less. Without football, it is going to die. Talk to students in Grand Forks how they feel about NDSU and talk to students in Fargo how they feel about UND. Now compare that to when you were in school.

I was a student at UND from 2007-2012. Oh how the times must've changed.

• Upvote 1

Obviously NDSU needed to level up on UND and cry that UND cancelled the series an so in response since both teams are on the same level GT refuses to sign a deal with UND...sounds childish doesn't it? Obviously SDSU had no problem scheduling UND in a home and home but yet NDSU has a million excuses not to.

NDSU needed to level up to play with peers. Not teams like Moorhead, U Mary, and Minot.

How old were you in '03? 10 or 11? I doubt you have a whole lot of insight of what went on other than some revisionist history you've read on the intertubes.

I was all of 11 years old. NDSU went D-I. UND stayed behind. UND cancelled series. UND moves up. UND wants things to be like old times. NDSU says nope.

Davis and Sac State continued to play annually even though one was a higher division.

I was a student at UND from 2007-2012. Oh how the times must've changed.

We overlapped a bit. Started here in Fargo in 2010.

Tradition and history of it is dying. Slowly but surely. Can't imagine in another ten years that any students will know much about it. Throw another ten years on top of that, and it will be 100% dead.

Cy-Hawk went on a 43-year hiatus, and that seems to be very much alive and well. You really have no clue what you're talking about.

If the game could be played in a manner of mutual respect, ala the SDSU games in DI, then I would be for it. However, anything NDSU/UND at this point for FB will be toxic. There will be editorial after editorial leading up to and following a game, and I'm not sure it worth it, for either school at this point.

I'm not sure why some people think NDSU is scared to play UND. NDSU expects to pound MT State in Fargo next year, so why with NDSU think they wouldn't do the same to UND? From an NDSU perspective, there is not a concern about the outcome, it's more related to giving a team you recruit against positive exposure. When UND decided not to play NDSU, the problem wasn't that they canceled competition, it was "how" they did it. They did so with timing and comment that were very disrespectful to the people at NDSU.

Also, next year NDSU has an FBS top 25 and an FCS to 5 in the Non-Conf schedule. I don't think they are ducking competition.

Also, next year NDSU has an FBS top 25 and an FCS to 5 in the Non-Conf schedule. I don't think they are ducking competition.

First time in a long time they can say that. Next year doesn't work for UND or NDSU and I wish everyone would realize it.

If the game could be played in a manner of mutual respect, ala the SDSU games in DI, then I would be for it. However, anything NDSU/UND at this point for FB will be toxic. There will be editorial after editorial leading up to and following a game, and I'm not sure it worth it, for either school at this point.

I'm not sure why some people think NDSU is scared to play UND. NDSU expects to pound MT State in Fargo next year, so why with NDSU think they wouldn't do the same to UND? From an NDSU perspective, there is not a concern about the outcome, it's more related to giving a team you recruit against positive exposure. When UND decided not to play NDSU, the problem wasn't that they canceled competition, it was "how" they did it. They did so with timing and comment that were very disrespectful to the people at NDSU.

I don't get this "mutual respect" crap. Let's just scrap Alabama-Auburn, Michigan-Ohio State, Arizona-Arizona State, USC-UCLA the list goes on and on by that logic. As for toxicity, I remember it flowing same as the Red...northbound, with the tone at the top being set by the lunatic Hager.

How about this for disrespectful...we are moving up a level and will have more scholarships than you but we can still play like we have for the last 100+ years even though you will get punished for playing a DI team in the playoffs while you are in DII. Can we still be friends?

• Upvote 1

Cy-Hawk went on a 43-year hiatus, and that seems to be very much alive and well. You really have no clue what you're talking about.

Without the football game, the rivalry is going to continue to get less and less relevant. That is a different rivalry. If you had been to this year's basketball game, you'd have witnessed a 'rivalry' about as intense(at least from the people there watching) as a women's water polo matchup.

I don't get this "mutual respect" crap. Let's just scrap Alabama-Auburn, Michigan-Ohio State, Arizona-Arizona State, USC-UCLA the list goes on and on by that logic. As for toxicity, I remember it flowing same as the Red...northbound, with the tone at the top being set by the lunatic Hager.

Or leave it alone like the Texas-Texas A&M rivalry. If the two teams play, that is fine and dandy. If not, no big deal.

How about this for disrespectful...we are moving up a level and will have more scholarships than you but we can still play like we have for the last 100+ years even though you will get punished for playing a DI team in the playoffs while you are in DII. Can we still be friends?

Are you saying NDSU should have stayed in D-II just for the rivalry?

Are you saying NDSU should have stayed in D-II just for the rivalry?

Maybe they should have thought about the ramifications of moving up more than just football...oh wait buttfootball. So UND also cancelled the series with South Dakota State but in 2010 they played in Brookings and now in 2013 they are playing in Grand Forks. But NDSU still has the excuses that are up to 2,438 why they can't schedule UND.

Maybe they should have thought about the ramifications of moving up more than just football...oh wait buttfootball. So UND also cancelled the series with South Dakota State but in 2010 they played in Brookings and now in 2013 they are playing in Grand Forks. But NDSU still has the excuses that are up to 2,438 why they can't schedule UND.

Wow Darell you're obsessed with this. You have two of your biggest rivals that really don't care to schedule you. Yeah it's MN and NDSU's problem.
  • Upvote 1

Wow Darell you're obsessed with this. You have two of your biggest rivals that really don't care to schedule you. Yeah it's MN and NDSU's problem.

Again, NDSU is the one with the scheduling problems this year, not UND. But thank you for your continued interest.

Obsessed. Sure. What fan wouldn't be that grew up with the rivalry. I started going to games with my dad in 1985 and watching NDSU demolish us like we were a high school team sucked but the worst was in 1991 and 1992 when were so close to winning only to have NDSU pull it out in the end. I was at the game in 1993 with my parents and the emotion of finally beating the king of the NCC was like winning a national title. Seeing fans storm the field tear down the goal post was a sight I never saw before. When NDSU left without UND I was mad as hell that RT and Kuppy choose to stay in DII. Then when we finally moved up I thought this rivalry would start again as both teams were on an even field...boy I guess I was wrong as GT is still holding a grudge. So obsessed yes. I want this game played every year or every other year it don't matter as long as fans like me can circle the date on a calendar and count the days until the teams meet.

• Upvote 1

They did think of all the ramifications, and then made a decision that UND would soon follow.

The ramifications of moving up more than football? Our athletics are better now than they were then. Good football, solid men's bball, baseball appears to be pretty good, volleyball has been good in D-I, wrestling is good, track is pretty good, etc.

But you are right, staying behind just to play against UND sounds like a better gig.

Again, NDSU is the one with the scheduling problems this year, not UND. But thank you for your continued interest.

Buyouts happen. It has happened to UND before no?

Everyone knows why there's no scheduling.

UND won't schedule unless it's every year, NDSU won't schedule every year.

I wouldn't mind it every year, even though we'd be losing the home game that would fill and bring the athletic deparment a good chunk of money every other year.