SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

I doubt it's a coincidence that neither team wants to play UND after both NDSU football and UM hockey didn't perform as well as expected.

I'm sure that as these schools continue to post title banners, they are deep-down devastated that they have a losing record against UND.

What's this YOU talk. You as in me personally, then yes I would like to see UND play NDSU hell every year in fact. I live in Fargo, and with my parents in GF I could easily see UND play NDSU every year. You as in UND fans, some don't care to play (like some Bison fans), but its funny how its the Fargo Media pressing this issue when GT has some sort of scheduling problem.

fargo media :silly:

the owner of the 'fargo media' is on UND's wall of fame in twamley right across from Ralph Englestad.

I'm sure that as these schools continue to post title banners, they are deep-down devastated that they have a losing record against UND.

fargo media :silly:

the owner of the 'fargo media' is on UND's wall of fame in twamley right across from Ralph Englestad.

So Dom Izzo and Jeff Kolpack isn't part of the Fargo media? They stir this up every time NDSU has a scheduling problem and yet most fans blame UND for it.

With UND playing .500 ball in another league, and the bison winning NCs, it is easy to see why appox 58% of voters on this board want the game, and 70% of voters on another board don't want the game. Yes, it is a historic rivalry game, but it will also bring its share of toxicity. I think the ndsu folks know that the river will flow south during the week before the game with all kinds of media bs, and maybe even a few facts to go along with the selective memory bs. If I'm the AD from state, why even go there with a FB game and drag yourself into the muck. The current situation is w/o void. If one takes the time to consider the best interests down south, it is not difficult to see why the game is not scheduled.

With UND playing .500 ball in another league, and the bison winning NCs, it is easy to see why appox 58% of voters on this board want the game, and 70% of voters on another board don't want the game. Yes, it is a historic rivalry game, but it will also bring its share of toxicity. I think the ndsu folks know that the river will flow south during the week before the game with all kinds of media bs, and maybe even a few facts to go along with the selective memory bs. If I'm the AD from state, why even go there with a FB game and drag yourself into the muck. The current situation is w/o void. If one takes the time to consider the best interests down south, it is not difficult to see why the game is not scheduled.

What type of media BS would there be? What would they talk about that would tick off Bison fans? Sure if a game was finally scheduled they would probably talk about the history of the rivalry and how UND won the last game and has a better record overall against the Bison. Great. That can make some UND fans all warm and tingly inside. But guess what, they would probably bring up the fact that NDSU has won 10 National Championships compared to our 1 and that the have won 2 (at this point) at the FCS level. I am just wondering if you could tell me what kind of media BS you would expect??!!!

This poll has be open for almost two years. Go back and look at one of the handful of other polls on your board that seem to pop up once or twice a year. The results are more in line with what you are seeing here. And again, UND's schedule is full this year, they aren't putting NDSU on it and playing 12 games in a row without a bye. They already have two tough non-conference games with what will be a brand new QB (likely a red-shirt freshman). The only thing I see changing UND's mind is Montana buying out their game.

70% of voters on BVille don't want it because I think they don't want the same result that happened in 2003, 2002, 2001. 58% of the people here want it because its a rivalry game, we are now on level ground both teams have the same scholarships and is playing at the same level (DI). I love the excuses at BV saying NDSU is at a higher level but would rather play Western Carolina, Prairie View or Robert Morris instead of UND. Yes you have two NC in DI and is after another one, if seeing UND as lower than RM or PV then why not play us. We count as a DI counter. See what I am getting at. If NDSU fans think their Bison is above and beyond our playing level and think they can beat us 80-0 like we were Moorhead State then what do they have to lose?

• Upvote 3

Bison fans love to point out the number of National Championships they have won, the number of conference championships they won, how many FBS teams they have beat, and how many wins they have since they moved to D1. I will agree that all those statistics are very impressive. But when the topic of playing UND comes up, they act like all that will be stripped away if we happen to beat them. If UND were to beat NDSU, somehow they believe that all their recruits will call up Bohl and tell them they are going to UND. They say :"NDSU has everything to lose" in this game. Guess what: The only thing that you would lose would be the game. Sure you would hear plenty of UND fans talking about how they beat you. But in the grand scheme of things, would it drastically affect the program that bad? Would recruiting suffer that bad? Anything can happen on a football field. Teams can upset better teams. If we played this upcoming season, UND winning would deffinitely be an upset...this year. But is really the end of the world for the program? My point is the excuses for not wanting to play this game are getting pretty pathetic.

• Upvote 1

The reason this game needs to be played is tradtion and history. You don't need to dig any further. I watched a documentary the other day on the Michigan-Ohio State football series. I loved it, it made me want to be a Wolverine or Buckeye fan. It's just a great event that is good for both programs. People who don't get tickets for the game are just as excited as those who do. I think this point is being lost with Bison fans. The amount of tickets sold for that game maybe won't increase but the amount of interest in both programs will grow exponentially. People that most days don't care about football at all, will all of a sudden become huge football fans. Chemistry professors that don't know what a first down is will make bets with their counterparts about a sport they don't care about. All that they know is that its pitting school vs school and that's what matters. So in my opinion this is why the game needs to be played.

The reason this game needs to be played is tradtion and history. You don't need to dig any further. I watched a documentary the other day on the Michigan-Ohio State football series. I loved it, it made me want to be a Wolverine or Buckeye fan. It's just a great event that is good for both programs. People who don't get tickets for the game are just as excited as those who do. I think this point is being lost with Bison fans. The amount of tickets sold for that game maybe won't increase but the amount of interest in both programs will grow exponentially. People that most days don't care about football at all, will all of a sudden become huge football fans. Chemistry professors that don't know what a first down is will make bets with their counterparts about a sport they don't care about. All that they know is that its pitting school vs school and that's what matters. So in my opinion this is why the game needs to be played.

Tradition and history of it is dying. Slowly but surely. Can't imagine in another ten years that any students will know much about it. Throw another ten years on top of that, and it will be 100% dead.

Tradition and history of it is dying. Slowly but surely. Can't imagine in another ten years that any students will know much about it. Throw another ten years on top of that, and it will be 100% dead.

Maybe in ten years it will be dead, probably not since the schools play in other sports. At any rate it's not dead right now or else you wouldn't be on here commenting about it.

• Upvote 1

Maybe in ten years it will be dead, probably not since the schools play in other sports. At any rate it's not dead right now or else you wouldn't be on here commenting about it.

I grew up in a much different household than my peers. Had you been to the basketball game this year in the FargoDome, you'd see it is dying. 3 years ago when the two teams played in the dome, there was 8-10,000 there. At the Ralph last year I believe attendence was around 6,000-ish? This year at the dome was in the 5,000 neck of the woods.

Without football, rivalry is going away.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Whether the football teams play or not is not going to change the fact that there will ALWAYS be a rivalry between the two universities. The two schools are not going to get any farther apart and they will always be the premiere universities in the state. Sure, out of state students may not be privy to the history but any kid who grows up in North Dakota and decides to attend one school or the other likely had a choice between the two. UND and NDSU will always be compared to one another and it has little to do with football. You see it every fall when enrollment numbers come out and there's bickering between the two schools about who's bigger. Plus, the rivalry has now been renewed in basketball, baseball, volleyball, and soccer and ten years later people in media circles in both Grand Forks and Fargo are still talking about it.

The rivalry between UND and NDSU runs so much deeper than a competition on the football field and it's not going away during my lifetime even if Gene and Brian are here for the next 50 years and never settle their differences.

Acknowledging the dangers of generalizing the ac position here, I get their stance on this. For football, they are basking in the spotlight right now. I understand not wanting to share that spotlight with UND. Why even risk allowing Muss going into a living room and talking about a win over the ac? Why allow a UND win to put a charge into the fan base and the marketing of the program? In the national FCS picture, there's a gulf the size of the grand canyon between these two football programs. That gulf would shrink every time the ac steps on the playing field with UND and it isn't a blowout-God forbid a UND win. Sooner or later, UND will win. From this perspective, I don't blame the folks at the ac at all.

Now, as stewards of the rivalry I think there's plenty of finger pointing and blame to go around.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Whether the football teams play or not is not going to change the fact that there will ALWAYS be a rivalry between the two universities. The two schools are not going to get any farther apart and they will always be the premiere universities in the state. Sure, out of state students may not be privy to the history but any kid who grows up in North Dakota and decides to attend one school or the other likely had a choice between the two. UND and NDSU will always be compared to one another and it has little to do with football. You see it every fall when enrollment numbers come out and there's bickering between the two schools about who's bigger. Plus, the rivalry has now been renewed in basketball, baseball, volleyball, and soccer and ten years later people in media circles in both Grand Forks and Fargo are still talking about it.

The rivalry between UND and NDSU runs so much deeper than a competition on the football field and it's not going away during my lifetime even if Gene and Brian are here for the next 50 years and never settle their differences.

Students make the rivalry. The students appear to care less. Without football, it is going to die. Talk to students in Grand Forks how they feel about NDSU and talk to students in Fargo how they feel about UND. Now compare that to when you were in school.

I grew up in a much different household than my peers. Had you been to the basketball game this year in the FargoDome, you'd see it is dying. 3 years ago when the two teams played in the dome, there was 8-10,000 there. At the Ralph last year I believe attendence was around 6,000-ish? This year at the dome was in the 5,000 neck of the woods.

Yet it was still your highest attended game of the year. Even more than your "rival" SDSU. Same with your volleyball team.

Acknowledging the dangers of generalizing the ac position here, I get their stance on this. For football, they are basking in the spotlight right now. I understand not wanting to share that spotlight with UND. Why even risk allowing Muss going into a living room and talking about a win over the ac? Why allow a UND win to put a charge into the fan base and the marketing of the program? In the national FCS picture, there's a gulf the size of the grand canyon between these two football programs. That gulf would shrink every time the ac steps on the playing field with UND and it isn't a blowout-God forbid a UND win. Sooner or later, UND will win. From this perspective, I don't blame the folks at the ac at all.

Now, as stewards of the rivalry I think there's plenty of finger pointing and blame to go around.

BINGO.

You do realize that the game this year was played on a Sunday afternoon when it was below zero outside? Also the game was televised!! Maybe that had a little to do with attendance...don't you think??

"Without football, rivalry is going away" - Question...do you want the rivalry to go away??? Why?? Why do some Bison fans not care about this century long rivalry?? Why this cocky "we don't need you anymore" attitude? Pathetic and childish if you ask me.

Yet it was still your highest attended game of the year. Even more than your "rival" SDSU. Same with your volleyball team.

NDSU/UND 5,168. Visiting team/fans/alumni are within an hour or so from campus.

NDSU/SDSU 5,064. Visiting team/fans/alumni are within....3 or so hours?