SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

Some interesting notes on this years recruiting. We did not do well in the twin cities, One committment and that came last summer. New QB transfer from North Carolina is the real deal. Great arm and puts the ball where the receivers like it. Also very bright and leadership evident from day 1. Correcting routes and getting receivers to improve how to read and react to defenses and coverage. He is bringing some big time talent and already raising performance of those around him to next level. Will be worth price of admission next fall. Perfect scenerio for Mollberg and the other young QB's and receivers. They will have a great mentor for their redshirt year.

Biggest goal for recruiting was QB and we filled that card in spades. Other goal was improving depth and we seem to have done that as well, Seems the reason for passing on Woods was justified. We get at least three new receivers to join a pretty good group already here. Might be interesting to see what we can do to develop our TE's and if can be athletic enough to become a 2 TE threat at the college level. If our Oline improve as much from last year to this we will score points. Need to improve pass rush and pass defense. Good group of LB;s need to get better. These kids make a committemtn to each other to get better each day, put team in fornt of individual goals, keep grades up and stay out of trouble we could raise some eyebrows in our first year in Big Sky.

Faison and Kelly need to be doing their part. They need to be meeting with business leaders and students this spring to upgrade the game day experience. The support for this team and our other teams needs to be a focus of Faison and his staff. With the name issue in limbo for awhile, they should have more time to get on this. Faison also needs to be upgrading our schedules. Michigan State with Dave Fennells kid could be big. PJ Sparks sister Jordan and her celeb friends can be part of the game day experience. We should be scheduling Army in FB. One of Gene Murphy's former assistants is their head coach. We need to schedule Pudue with Tibesar there. There are other connections we need to capitalize on. We seem to be moving a long at a comfortable pace. That won't get it done. We need to be hustling. Players on and off the field, administrators in the office , in the community and on campus with the students. We don't need to wait for things to fall into place we need to be putting the pieces in place to maximize the chance for success, If any of us get a chance to visit with any of these folks we need to get on them and demand more and with an urgency consistnet with our expectations of championship performance from the athletes and coaches. These could be some pretty exciting times just around the corner for UND athletics. Goota get on the road for tonights hockey. Go Sioux!

• Upvote 3

This is kind of a strange recruiting year in the cities. According to the Strib, UNI is the only FCS school with more than two commitments from the metro area: http://www.mnfootbal...ege-commitments

It looks like Anthony Hill, DB from Champlin Park, MN is still uncommitted as of now. Said to have offers from UND & SDSU at one point.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/129389?referrer_id=334819

http://minnesotapreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1324154

Also, looks like Dodge Center, MN DB/Athlete Adam Bungum will be making his decision soon, if he hasn't already. Was down to Army & UND, along w/ a preferred walk-on at Minnesota.

http://footballrecru...asp?CID=1321699

http://rivals.yahoo....m-Bungum-124205

I read up on him a few days ago. He seemed like he was quite interested in going to Army. Would love to him in kelly green.

I like the potential of some of the current tailbacks, but it seems a bit strange to me we wouldn't sign a RB this year; I think there is effectively only one with last year's class (Sparks) after Garman played as a true freshman. I don't know anything about them aside from their post-season accolades, but Sam Sura and Antonio Ford out of the Cities would seem to be good prospects. I've heard very little about either, recruiting-wise.

This is kind of a strange recruiting year in the cities. According to the Strib, UNI is the only FCS school with more than two commitments from the metro area: http://www.mnfootbal...ege-commitments

SDSU has two players from the same team just off the top of my head.

Edit: Although both players are from Circle Pines, MN, which is a suburb just north of the Twin Cities. I'd still think that counts though.

You have got to be kidding. Schwarzkopf selected UND over NDSU. My oh my.

At the FCS level, you can give out 1/2 scholarships, etc. No one really knows what he was offerred. That being said, if the kid wants to be a pilot he probably would have chosen UND. Good luck to him.

At the FCS level, you can give out 1/2 scholarships, etc. No one really knows what he was offerred. That being said, if the kid wants to be a pilot he probably would have chosen UND. Good luck to him.

No, you don't get it. NDSU has NEVER lost a recruit to UND that they wanted. Never. Even Mollberg they apparently weren't recruiting for QB because of their vast depth at the position and in the end backed off because of his problems with back injuries.

No, you don't get it. NDSU has NEVER lost a recruit to UND that they wanted. Never. Even Mollberg they apparently weren't recruiting for QB because of their vast depth at the position and in the end backed off because of his problems with back ankle injuries.

no need to get folks nervous that the kid has back problems.

no need to get folks nervous that the kid has back problems.

I sure didn't know about any back problems, either, and didn't meant to imply that he did. Just stating why another school (as well as the University of Iowa :silly: ) supposedly backed off of recruiting him. Here's their spin my source.

I sure didn't know about any back problems, either, and didn't meant to imply that he did. Just stating why another school (as well as the University of Iowa :silly: ) supposedly backed off of recruiting him. Here's their spin my source.

Ok, that was painful to read. The arrogance spewing out of there is just too unreal. Can those fans actually believe all that crap?

The bottom line is that NDSU was aggressively recruiting Mollbeg and offered him a full ride. NDSU apparently didn't have a problem with his ankle sprain before he made his choice. I guess you can twist it however you want but I am just happy he chose UND over NDSU. It really bruises egos to the South when a kid choses UND over NDSU though.

• Upvote 1

I wonder is the comment you noted was placing an emphasis on school work.

QB's and WR's were the first that popped into my head. Hopefully some improvement in the secondary. There is nothing wrong with every player taking that message personal. The talent level on this team has improved dramatically over the last couple of years and I think there are probably only a handfull of starters that could pencil themselves in for next season.