SiouxSports.com Forum

Flood 2011

darell1976

We lost our house in Minot Monday night. Probably to the main level by now. Not looking forward to the messy cleanup, but I'm sure some folks on this board have been through it.

Very sorry to hear that. Good luck to you and all the people in western ND going through a very difficult time.

We lost our house in Minot Monday night. Probably to the main level by now. Not looking forward to the messy cleanup, but I'm sure some folks on this board have been through it.

Sorry to hear that as well. Thoughts are with you and everyone going through the hard work and tough times that come with fights like these.

Prayers go out of everyone along the Souris and Missouri and Yellowstone Rivers. Normally, Montanan's pray for summer rain, but this year we need to pray for a dry June there.

The amount of rainfall and snowmelt in Montana and northwest Wyoming is just unreal. A couple of weeks ago, I-90 in Montana north of Sheridan, WYO was blocked due to incredible flooding on the Bighorn River, causing diversions of hundreds of miles to find a bridge over the Bighorn/Wind River system. Roundup, Montana had almost as much precip in one day as they normally get in one year.

• 3 weeks later...

Well folks, as you all know the City of Minot has been fighting the Souris River from flooding the town. It has been announced today that flooding in town is all but imminent.

Dams in Canada as well as the dam in Lake Darling are making huge increases in water releases due to heavy raining in those areas. Minot will have its worst flood ever with a crest of 1562ft - seven feet over the level reached in the 1969 Minot flood.

The situation in Minot just got worse. The crest prediction in Minot has been increased to 1566ft from 1563ft. Lake Darling Dam will be increasing its releases to 28,000cfs by I believe tomorrow. The dikes protecting broadway now have to be raised to meet the new level by at least Friday evening. If Broadway is lost, only the bypass would remain as the only means that connects the town together(if the bypass were to be lost as well, the town would be split in half).

It's Crazy how much water is out that way. I have family that live in Minot. They are out of the flood plain as they live on the north hill. My uncle did say that his sump pump began to kick in a few weeks ago however. He said it's the second time in 27 years that it's kicked in...

That is not even the most updated, i believe.

For those of you on facebook. search for KX News Minot...they have been updating that as soon as news comes in and it has a link to their live 24 hour web feed of their 24 hour live coverage. Otherwise, kxmc.com also has a link.

• 5 months later...

Looks like the F-M area may be getting a ditch.

http://www.startribu.../135003398.html

By the time the politics of this (protests by other towns, plus Cass County residents still pissed on the sales tax increase) is done and the ditch is complete which would take about 10-15 years Fargo would be flooded so many times it may not be even worth it.

By the time the politics of this (protests by other towns, plus Cass County residents still pissed on the sales tax increase) is done and the ditch is complete which would take about 10-15 years Fargo would be flooded so many times it may not be even worth it.

Or we could easily go into 10 years of drought, and it will really seem not worth it (at the time).

• 2 weeks later...

Los Angeles Times: North Dakota flood victims still await aid

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-dakota-flood-20111217,0,5126853.story

Nearly six months after a record-breaking flood wiped out a fourth of the city's housing and left 11,000 people scrambling for shelter, the grim future that many feared has come to pass: The frigid winter has descended, and hardly anyone is securely back home.

City officials say that only about 10% of flooded families have been able to return to fully repaired homes. An additional 20% have been able to get enough windows, doors and heat to live in the ruined shells of their houses through the winter.