SiouxSports.com Forum

Flood 2011

darell1976

With storm after storm I think this flood could be worse than in 09 simply because of the cooler temps and the higher risks of ice jams.

We have had 130 continuous days of snow cover on the ground to date. Good, bad or indifferent...all this *#@& just needs to come to an end! Dragging it out another 2-3 weeks isn't going to help the moral of the city.

Things not looking so good here in Fargo. River is rising on average .16 per hour or 4 feet every 24hrs. RR at Fargo is at 35.32 as of 9:15am, and at this rate will be close to the 40ft mark by tomorrow afternoon. The Red was projected to crest at 39.5 but it may go higher. Mayor Walaker (don't get me started on this buffoon) may have the dikes raised up to 42 or 43 feet instead of stopping at 41. If you need a sandbag workout come to Fargo/Moorhead they could need you.

Things not looking so good here in Fargo. River is rising on average .16 per hour or 4 feet every 24hrs. RR at Fargo is at 35.32 as of 9:15am, and at this rate will be close to the 40ft mark by tomorrow afternoon. The Red was projected to crest at 39.5 but it may go higher. Mayor Walaker (don't get me started on this buffoon) may have the dikes raised up to 42 or 43 feet instead of stopping at 41. If you need a sandbag workout come to Fargo/Moorhead they could need you.

Red at Wahpeton has leveled off as it is starting to at Hixon as well. Wild Rice at Abercrombie is starting to level off today as well. Crest will be before Sunday and lower IMO what the NSW predicted. Leaving for the Frozen 4 at noon. No worries here.

In Walaker we trust!

Walaker has it handled...crest 39-40 feet...

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/315186/

Red at Wahpeton has leveled off as it is starting to at Hixon as well. Wild Rice at Abercrombie is starting to level off today as well. Crest will be before Sunday and lower IMO what the NSW predicted. Leaving for the Frozen 4 at noon. No worries here.

In Walaker we trust!

Walaker has done a good job for a lot of years, but there have been many people that have done a good job. We live in Meadow Creek...2 years ago the flood preparation was well organized, but very choatic...this year the waters are close to the same and the neighborhood is going on like nothing is happening.

Oxbow6...Have a blast today at the game, hopefully we'll be down in St. Paul Saturday...GO SIOUX

Walaker has done a good job for a lot of years, but there have been many people that have done a good job. We live in Meadow Creek...2 years ago the flood preparation was well organized, but very choatic...this year the waters are close to the same and the neighborhood is going on like nothing is happening.

Oxbow6...Have a blast today at the game, hopefully we'll be down in St. Paul Saturday...GO SIOUX

Stay safe down there, I live up by the VA Hospital, and they have done some flood improvement this way like the flood wall on Elm Street, this city still is very vulnerable to disaster.

It is simply amazing that likely the 2nd highest flood in Grand Forks history will crest at a predicted 52 ft without much impact, except for the closed bridges and extra driving. A crest of 46 ft in bygone days would have been a major crisis.

For those in rural Cass, Clay, and Norman counties near the Red, our hearts and prayers go out to you.

• Upvote 1

It appears the Red River at GF-EGF crested yesterday at 49.67. Interesting that even with all the new information accumulated in the 14 years since 1997, predicting the crest is still a very inexact science. It ended up approximately 2.3 feet lower than what was predicted as recently as three days ago.

It appears the Red River at GF-EGF crested yesterday at 49.67. Interesting that even with all the new information accumulated in the 14 years since 1997, predicting the crest is still a very inexact science. It ended up approximately 2.3 feet lower than what was predicted as recently as three days ago.

I heard there are supposed to be 50 MPH winds up there today slong with the snow. Is there concern that the wind (waves) are going to cause any problems?

I heard there are supposed to be 50 MPH winds up there today slong with the snow. Is there concern that the wind (waves) are going to cause any problems?

I would guess that since people north and south of town were likely preparing for at least a 52-foot crest, the wind/waves shouldn't be a big problem given the considerably-lower-than-expected river levels.

I wonder if NWS doesn't tend to push the prediction a little higher to cover own butts. They did screw up 97 pretty badly.

I wonder if NWS doesn't tend to push the prediction a little higher to cover own butts. They did screw up 97 pretty badly.

It's probably pretty safe to say they give a 1-2 ft cushion now.

In 1997, they were off by 5 ft. If a 56 ft crest had been originally been predicted instead of 49 ft, whole households with furniture would have been evacuated weeks before the flood in neighborhoods that would have had to be sacrificed to save the rest of the city.

• 1 month later...

It's probably pretty safe to say they give a 1-2 ft cushion now.

In 1997, they were off by 5 ft. If a 56 ft crest had been originally been predicted instead of 49 ft, whole households with furniture would have been evacuated weeks before the flood in neighborhoods that would have had to be sacrificed to save the rest of the city.

Just to set the record straight, I believe it was the Army Corps of engineers that made the erroneous estimate in 1997 not NWS due to the RR bridge interferences.

I just want to give my prayers to any fellow people residing in Minot and Bismarck.

Evacuations have been ordered in areas of Minot by tomorrow night.

KXMC News - Minot

Corps of Engineers now says Mouse River at Minot Broadway Bridge could hit 1556 - one foot OVER the levee system's safe capacity. Officials have said the system can handle 1555 with one foot of extra space ("freeboard"). Corps and National Weather Service officials say they've never seen this level so ...they don't know how the river will behave - it could be higher, it could be lower.

I just want to give my prayers to any fellow people residing in Minot and Bismarck.

Evacuations have been ordered in areas of Minot by tomorrow night.

KXMC News - Minot

Disclaimer: this is a mean-spirited reply and may be very tongue-in-cheek... Since Canada will not allow the Devils Lake water to flow in to the Sheyenne River System to help alleviate the Devils Lake problems, why don't we demand that they keep their water that is flowing into the US via the Mouse/Souris and causing all the problems for Minot?

Disclaimer: this is a mean-spirited reply and may be very tongue-in-cheek... Since Canada will not allow the Devils Lake water to flow in to the Sheyenne River System to help alleviate the Devils Lake problems, why don't we demand that they keep their water that is flowing into the US via the Mouse/Souris and causing all the problems for Minot?

While the US can demand whatever they want, the Rafferty and Alameda dams in Sask on the Souris are full also, and have to release water, just as Lake Darling and, on the Missouri, Garrison and Fort Peck are doing. The watershed for all major rivers are full and flooded, and continue to add to the levels in the Missouri and Mouse Rivers. There is no room for anyone to store any more water.

So, ... this probably wouldn't be a good time to recommend a plan to send Devils Lake water to the dry areas in the western part of the state ...

You're probably right, if it gets any deeper out here water will probably start flowing east and cut out a new watershed from western ND to Devils Lake. I'm first in line for the ark.

While the US can demand whatever they want, the Rafferty and Alameda dams in Sask on the Souris are full also, and have to release water, just as Lake Darling and, on the Missouri, Garrison and Fort Peck are doing. The watershed for all major rivers are full and flooded, and continue to add to the levels in the Missouri and Mouse Rivers. There is no room for anyone to store any more water.

From what I hear, Devils Lake is full too, and has been for a few years... This rain won't be helping them any, either.