SiouxSports.com Forum

Radio Voice

bincitysioux

Jack Michaels from Bismarck was hired today to take over Dan Hammers position at KFGO/KFAN as sports director. I think UND could work out the same agreement with him that we had with Hammer if Michaels wants to.

Wow, this is a bit of a surprise. I thought he went to Bismarck to be closer to his kids. If NDSU was smart, they'd insist on getting Michaels back to provide color commentary or be a sideline reporter. I think he's one of the best around.

Wow, this is a bit of a surprise. I thought he went to Bismarck to be closer to his kids. If NDSU was smart, they'd insist on getting Michaels back to provide color commentary or be a sideline reporter. I think he's one of the best around.

I quite agree: I think Jack's one of the best around.

Jack Michaels from Bismarck was hired today to take over Dan Hammers position at KFGO/KFAN as sports director. I think UND could work out the same agreement with him that we had with Hammer if Michaels wants to.

It would be nice if we could get something worked out with Jack. He is very, very good at what he does and really enjoys the sports he covers. He's done a great job in Bismarck the last few seasons.

Are you guys serious? Jack comes back to Fargo - Joins the new home of the Bison as sports director and he's going to do your games? The only reason Hammer continued was because he was grandfathered in and he knew he was a short timer from then on.

• Downvote 1

This is a great hire. I was a little nervous on who we would get to replace Hammer, especially as time went along. A good radio voice will be very important in the Big Sky and Jack sounds like he is very excited to be that voice.

Welcome Jack.

This is a great hire. I was a little nervous on who we would get to replace Hammer, especially as time went along. A good radio voice will be very important in the Big Sky and Jack sounds like he is very excited to be that voice.

Welcome Jack.

Terrific hire. Everyone in western ND knows and respects the voice of Jack Michaels. His voice for Sioux football will only help deepen the Sioux football fan base out there. UND vs Montana and UND vs Montana State games are going to become huge events out there.

It's also a feather in Faison's cap that Michaels will be the sports director at the bison's flagship station: KFGO. Getting Michaels to go to KFGO as well as be the voice of Sioux football had to take a lot of skillful negotiations.

It also couldn't have been cheap getting Michaels on board. Perhaps the guarantee money for opponents had to be cut. ;)

Terrific hire. Everyone in western ND knows and respects the voice of Jack Michaels. His voice for Sioux football will only help deepen the Sioux football fan base out there. UND vs Montana and UND vs Montana State games are going to become huge events out there.

It's also a feather in Faison's cap that Michaels will be the sports director at the bison's flagship station: KFGO. Getting Michaels to go to KFGO as well as be the voice of Sioux football had to take a lot of skillful negotiations.

It also couldn't have been cheap getting Michaels on board. Perhaps the guarantee money for opponents had to be cut. ;)

I couldn't agree more. Good post.

The sh-t hit the fan over on BVille. Lakes is totally gone ballistic. He (Michaels) is such a great voice from out west then boom he is the new Sioux play by play man...this guy sucks. So classic over there. I can't wait to hear him. :D

There's a lot of Bison fans upset that an NDSU grad, that actually played a sport at NDSU, is now the voice of the Sioux. Frankly, I'm surprised there isn't more folks here upset. What's next, Glen Sonmoor in the booth with Tim, followed by Erv Inniger and Swyg? It's the bizaro world.

There's a lot of Bison fans upset that an NDSU grad, that actually played a sport at NDSU, is now the voice of the Sioux. Frankly, I'm surprised there isn't more folks here upset. What's next, Glen Sonmoor in the booth with Tim, followed by Erv Inniger and Swyg? It's the bizaro world.

I like Erv. Wouldn't mind him doing Sioux BB. :)

The sh-t hit the fan over on BVille. Lakes is totally gone ballistic. He (Michaels) is such a great voice from out west then boom he is the new Sioux play by play man...this guy sucks. So classic over there. I can't wait to hear him. :D

Oh my that is hilarious. Classic stuff.

"Yay Jack Michaels!! Welcome aboard to ndsu!!.....(insert fightingsioux.com link)........I mean, BOOOOOO.....Jack Michaels sucks!!! What a friggin' joke!!"

Honestly, that lakesbison guy is one sick pup. Someone get that psychotic personality disorder some help.

Are you guys serious? Jack comes back to Fargo - Joins the new home of the Bison as sports director and he's going to do your games? The only reason Hammer continued was because he was grandfathered in and he knew he was a short timer from then on.

You just keep continuing to look like an idiot.

I'm somewhat stunned by this development.

I found the situation where RadioFM (790 KFGO/740 The Fan KVOX) was home of Bison Athletics on the radio but the RadioFM sports director was also the voice of UND Football to be a most peculiar alignment. That was Dan Hammer.

No, wait. Now it's Jack (former NDSU first base man, " ... track it down, Marge! ... " ) Michaels.

Compound that with (as someone mentioned) that RadioFM (740) has picked up the official NCAA broadcast of all three Frozen Four games. (Here's where I tell you to listen to 970 WDAY-AM and Tim Hennessy. Don't be fooled.)

Part of me wonders if KFGO isn't having "buyers remorse" when it comes to local college athletics if they are picking up "a regional niche sport" Frozen Four broadcast and are going back to a most peculiar, almost contradictory, sports director alignment (where your sports director is the voice of the rival of who the station carries).

Say what you will, but I'm quite sure that the T-wolves or Wild (or Bison M/WBB) don't draw as many listeners in Fargo-Moorhead on a Friday or Saturday night as Fighting Sioux Hockey did.

What I think is funny is Kolpack actually went to Gene Taylor to get his thoughts. Like he has any control over the situation and what was he going to say about it? I'm sure he's thrilled the sports director of their new radio station is the voice of the Sioux. I'm also sure he's thrilled that his new radio station paid to pick up the games of the "niche" sport no one cares about. That is about as funny as the 180's that went on over a B'ville. :lol::lol: