SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky or Summit/Valley?

Blue

Trev Alberts - Nebraska football guy, ... Nebraska-Lincoln football guy that is. ;)

Then again, maybe he's a books/money guy and can see that they're making money off hockey and his football team is an unsustainable loss leader. ???

I keep reading on other boards (goyotes and championship subdivision to name a couple) that UND may still end up in the Summit and that that ship has not yet sailed. This is on the heels of UNO accepting the Summit invitation. The comments are coming from fans of other schools.

I continue to think that UND is better off not being part of NCC 2.0 and that setting UND apart from the other NCC schools is a good thing.

The Big Sky Conference is a destination conference. When schools do leave, it is to go to and FBS conference. See Idaho, Nevada and Boise State. The Summit is still a temporary conference. There isn't a fan of any of the other Dakota schools who wouldn't jump at the chance of joining the Missouri Valley Conference and kick the Summit to the curb.

Is there still wishful thinking out there that UND join the Summit?

I keep reading on other boards (goyotes and championship subdivision to name a couple) that UND may still end up in the Summit and that that ship has not yet sailed. This is on the heels of UNO accepting the Summit invitation. The comments are coming from fans of other schools.

I continue to think that UND is better off not being part of NCC 2.0 and that setting UND apart from the other NCC schools is a good thing.

The Big Sky Conference is a destination conference. When schools do leave, it is to go to and FBS conference. See Idaho, Nevada and Boise State. The Summit is still a temporary conference. There isn't a fan of any of the other Dakota schools who wouldn't jump at the chance of joining the Missouri Valley Conference and kick the Summit to the curb.

Is there still wishful thinking out there that UND join the Summit?

Whats the possibility of the Dakota 4 reuniting in the Big Sky if say Montana and Montana St go FBS and if Davis and Poly leave for more of a West Coast League since more Cal teams are restarting or starting up football. IMO I think we are better off without the Summit unless there is a punched ticket into the MVFC, since the Big Sky doesn't offer baseball that could be another reason NOT to shut out the Summit.

The only reason any of us are mentioning UND still being on the Summit's radar is because Tom Douple came out recently and said he'd still like to see UND in the Summit someday. Obviously for that to happen there would have to be a shift in the MVFC and UND football would need to get an offer to that conference or the Big Sky could allow UND to be a football only member. Without that happening most outsiders believe UND will stay in the BSC for all sports. I say all this assuming UND would even entertain a Summit offer.

Well, now I am completely opposed to UNO dropping football. The3y have screwed everything up.

No, I actually am upset, it would have been perfect, but UNO needs to make their own decisions about what they think is best for them.

Serious? You got a link for that tweet?

Well, now I am completely opposed to UNO dropping football. The3y have screwed everything up.

No, I actually am upset, it would have been perfect, but UNO needs to make their own decisions about what they think is best for them.

Serious? You got a link for that tweet?

Look on front page of Siouxsports.com for tweets.

In today's Live Chat the question was asked about if Omaha had kept football, UND may have been sought for MVFC. Wayne said "Hadn't heard that. UND is headed to the Big Sky. No changes."

That doesn't mean anything. The average poster on this board is more up to speed on conference developments than Wayne is.

SFI was always in favor of the MVFC over the Big Sky, so no surprise there.

I'm sure if the MVFC/Summit offer UND, the rest of the Big Sky would say . . . UND oh please don't le, you can't be s, OK that would be fine.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UND would be able to host, as it would be a conference tournament. If they win the conference and move on to the Big Dance, the hosting part doesn't become a concern, but they couldn't have Sioux or the logo on the uniforms. I don't think they have them now anyway.

The hardest hit by being put back on the list would be football, as they would be the only ones who would be able to host an NCAA post season event that I can think of.

Women's hockey could definitely be affected. If they were to finish in the Pairwise top 4 next year, they would have the right to host a quarterfinal game. The new law could potentially be setting up UND for a Title IX suit since the women's team could potentially be harmed in a way that the men's team cannot. The same would in theory hold true for basketball.

I'm sure if the MVFC/Summit offer UND, the rest of the Big Sky would say . . . UND oh please don't le, you can't be s, OK that would be fine.

So thats like you and all the other bison fans who say we are so over UN, we don't care about them anymo, OH I suppose we better start 3 threads a day on our message board about them and chime in on thier site everyday.

So thats like you and all the other bison fans who say we are so over UN, we don't care about them anymo, OH I suppose we better start 3 threads a day on our message board about them and chime in on thier site everyday.

If the Big Sky honors their acceptance of UND into the league, the Big Sky Conference will look much different when UND plays their first conference game than it looks today. Some of the western schools will either defect or at the least drop some of the non-revenue sports. I can't see those schools sending a volleyball or soccer team to Grand Forks for one game for very long. I think Northern Colorado's Director of Development said what a lot of other BSC schools are thinking when he said "What was the conference thinking" when asked about UND joining the league alone.

If the Big Sky honors their acceptance of UND into the league, the Big Sky Conference will look much different when UND plays their first conference game than it looks today. Some of the western schools will either defect or at the least drop some of the non-revenue sports. I can't see those schools sending a volleyball or soccer team to Grand Forks for one game for very long. I think Northern Colorado's Director of Development said what a lot of other BSC schools are thinking when he said "What was the conference thinking" when asked about UND joining the league alone.

Does Northern Colorado's director of development have any connection to NDSU? What is his name? He wouldn't be a little bit prejudice against UND.

Does Northern Colorado's director of development have any connection to NDSU? What is his name? He wouldn't be a little bit prejudice against UND.

The answer to the question is Jack Maughan I believe. His Dad is Bucky Maughan the wrestling coach at NDSU. He also wrestled for NDSU. His family has a deep hatred for UND. I guess that qoute doesn't carry a lot of weight. That was some real weak information you provided there. That was actually a real weak and unprofessional statement from the former Bison Maughan. You have to wonder what Northern Colorado was thinking when they hired Maughan as director of devopment .

The answer to the question is Jack Maughan I believe. His Dad is Bucky Maughan the wrestling coach at NDSU. He also wrestled for NDSU. His family has a deep hatred for UND. I guess that qoute doesn't carry a lot of weight. That was some real weak information you provided there. That was actually a real weak and unprofessional statement from the former Bison Maughan. You have to wonder what Northern Colorado was thinking when they hired Maughan as director of devopment .

Because he's connected to NDSU doesn't mean what he said isn't true. I doubt there are many BSC schools waiting for the trips to GF.

Because he's connected to NDSU doesn't mean what he said isn't true. I doubt there are many BSC schools waiting for the trips to GF.

If the statement was made, would he have made the same statement about NDSU? I doubt it.

The Big Sky is the conference that SDSU and NDSU preferred back in the day, now it is a bad idea, because UND is joining.

I'll admit, I think UND is lucky the invitation came, but when opportunity knocks, answer the door.

Vindy, you are right about the women's sports. They may feel the impact more than the men, if UND is returned back to the list.

You're right. I'm sure that no one was consulted at any of the schools and each President at each school voted entirely independently to invite UND to the conference, while conspiring with the other Presidents. Heads should roll for that boneheaded blunder.

Either that, or all the teams were promised that UND would only be visiting their schools, and they would never have to go to Grand Forks. How else would the invite ever have been extended and even had a chance to be accepted?

Do you think the other schools in the Big Sky are going to travel to Grand Forks by wagon train? Most will get on an airplane, just like they do for many of their away games already.

crazy.gif

Maughan's arrest record indicates that he is connected to NDSU athletics, and he admits he has made very poor choices:

Chief Reggie Mayes said stated a patrol officer was doing a check of the park, got to a dead-end and was starting to turn around when another car pulled up beside him.

When the officer contacted the driver

If the statement was made, would he have made the same statement about NDSU? I doubt it.

The Big Sky is the conference that SDSU and NDSU preferred back in the day, now it is a bad idea, because UND is joining.

I'll admit, I think UND is lucky the invitation came, but when opportunity knocks, answer the door.

Vindy, you are right about the women's sports. They may feel the impact more than the men, if UND is returned back to the list.

If NDSU was going to go to the BSC it was with SDSU. Package deal. Even then the travel was a huge deal and costly. You're right about UND being lucky because I doubt you'd get in now. Water over the bridge now. NDSU might pick up some easy home games when the BSC starts to travel East.

If NDSU was going to go to the BSC it was with SDSU. Package deal. Even then the travel was a huge deal and costly. You're right about UND being lucky because I doubt you'd get in now. Water over the bridge now. NDSU might pick up some easy home games when the BSC starts to travel East.

I don't know how the Big Sky is going to handle scheduling or travel partners, but is it likely they will be paired with UNC? Which means a school like EWU or Montana would fly to Denver play UNC in Greeley and then fly to ND, back through Denver and home?

How much different is that than flying from Missoula to Denver to Fargo, busing to Brookings back to Fargo to Denver to Missoula? Isn't this essentially what you would have with NDSU and SDSU as travel partners?

I don't know how the Big Sky is going to handle scheduling or travel partners, but is it likely they will be paired with UNC? Which means a school like EWU or Montana would fly to Denver play UNC in Greeley and then fly to ND, back through Denver and home?

How much different is that than flying from Missoula to Denver to Fargo, busing to Brookings back to Fargo to Denver to Missoula? Isn't this essentially what you would have with NDSU and SDSU as travel partners?

Is Bison Dan really worried about the costs for Big Sky members to come to Grand Forks? Shouldn't he have more important things to worry about than just UND. He certainly has an obsession with UND. UND's fan base is certainly huge. No wonder there is such a long line of cars coming from Fargo whenever there are sporting events at UND. I guess we should just apprectiate how loyal Bison Dan is.