SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky or Summit/Valley?

Blue

So thats like you and all the other bison fans who say we are so over UN, we don't care about them anymo, OH I suppose we better start 3 threads a day on our message board about them and chime in on thier site everyday.

Und in sky is the equivalent of suu in the summit. They are a good school and competitve and all, its just a long damn trip. Seems like a good idea for suu to be moving to the sky. You miss them in some respects, but not the travel.

Und in sky is the equivalent of suu in the summit. They are a good school and competitve and all, its just a long damn trip. Seems like a good idea for suu to be moving to the sky. You miss them in some respects, but not the travel.

I don't understand why NDSU fans are on UND back about the Big Sky. UND had two options 1) Big Sky or 2) Summit League and Indy football. Option 1 is the obvious choice. The Big Sky has no penalty in place if UND leaves for any other confernce provided they are open about discussion with other confereces. Getting MVFC/Summit League is going to be a long shot. It will take major change in the eastern US conferences to make this happen.

In today's Live Chat the question was asked about if Omaha had kept football, UND may have been sought for MVFC. Wayne said "Hadn't heard that. UND is headed to the Big Sky. No changes."

Even if the Herald did do some digging on this, there is no way in hell the MVFC or the Summit would publicly admit that, even if it is true.

That doesn't mean anything. The average poster on this board is more up to speed on conference developments than Wayne is.

Wish this wasn't the case.

Bison fans continue to spout so much B.S. it's sickening. If UND in the Big Sky is equivalent to SUU in the Summit, why the hell did the NDSU administration and fans lobby so hard to get into the Big Sky? Were you and your fans that screwed up in your mind five years ago? The truth is that UND in the Southland or UND in the OVC is equivalent to SUU in the Summit. SUU only got in the Summit because the Summit had no choice but to pick them. The Big Sky chose to offer UND, even though the Big Sky had multiple options. UND to the Big Sky was not a forced marriage..

You still don't get how conference affiliation helps better define what at school is (and probably can't grasp the concept): the Summit is basically a corn belt league as its economic base. The Big Sky is economically a natural resource league (with exception of Sac and PSU).. Fargo State is school that is geared to being a corn belt school. UND is more and more a school that emphasizes the people and businesses and services associated with the wide open places with natural resource development (aviation, geology, energy, rural medicine). The coming economic development of the western part of ND (as well as eastern and even Central Montana) will be possibly the most significant development in ND history since settlement. UND has at least outwardly positioned itself for that change: to become the school western ND cities look towards. Meanwhile, Fargo's desire to be the next Omaha gains new momentum, as the real Omaha comes aboard. The division between Imperial Cass and Western ND will become even greater: for UND to align itself with the Summit League (and in turn beholden to Imperial Cass at the expense of western ND) would be a tragic mistake.

• Downvote 2

I heard that NDSU is thrilled to be back with their long time rival in basketball and volleyball Nebraska Omaha. Actually NDSU had even a better rivalry with Omaha in wrestling and football so that will be exciting. Oh wait, Omaha dropped wrestling and football. Oh well.

Bison fans continue to spout so much B.S. it's sickening. If UND in the Big Sky is equivalent to SUU in the Summit, why the hell did the NDSU administration and fans lobby so hard to get into the Big Sky? Were you and your fans that screwed up in your mind five years ago? The truth is that UND in the Southland or UND in the OVC is equivalent to SUU in the Summit. SUU only got in the Summit because the Summit had no choice but to pick them. The Big Sky chose to offer UND, even though the Big Sky had multiple options. UND to the Big Sky was not a forced marriage..

You still don't get how conference affiliation helps better define what at school is (and probably can't grasp the concept): the Summit is basically a corn belt league as its economic base. The Big Sky is economically a natural resource league (with exception of Sac and PSU).. Fargo State is school that is geared to being a corn belt school. UND is more and more a school that emphasizes the people and businesses and services associated with the wide open places with natural resource development (aviation, geology, energy, rural medicine). The coming economic development of the western part of ND (as well as eastern and even Central Montana) will be possibly the most significant development in ND history since settlement. UND has at least outwardly positioned itself for that change: to become the school western ND cities look towards. Meanwhile, Fargo's desire to be the next Omaha gains new momentum, as the real Omaha comes aboard. The division between Imperial Cass and Western ND will become even greater: for UND to align itself with the Summit League (and in turn beholden to Imperial Cass at the expense of western ND) would be a tragic mistake.

I think his post was in reference to the travel involved with respect to the two schools.

Let's be honest, the Big Sky is a great fit for UND, other than travel. I don't think it's a problem for UND as much as the travel costs for some conference members. To again be honest, the conference acted impulsively when they thought Montana might be leaving, and they thought they were getting two teams from the central time zone, not one.. Reality will set in later, with UND actually in the league in 2012.

I just look at the SUU example (where they were alone in the league) and have to wonder if the Big Sky is a destination conference for UND, simply based on travel and cost. No, I am not jealous . . . I am glad personally to be playing in the central time zone and Valley football so I personally can travel to more games. I like the Summit and the member situation and footprint keeps improving. I travel to lots of games, and to have SD and Omaha in the league is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. It's too bad that UNO is giving up football, but that might be a good thing for NDSU recruiting. When people say that the Summit is the old NCC, I say . . . what's wrong with that . . . I like the NCC. If you remember, NDSU waited an extra year to try to move the entire NCC to division I, do you remember?

The conference situations are what they are, I'm not trying be negative, just giving some honest thoughts.

Finally, a reasonable post.

As far as travel in the Big Sky, the distances create issues for practically every school. N Colo, Sac St, Portland St, and NAU really don't have any reasonable bus rides (NAU will once SUU is in), especially in the winter. Ever driven from Bozeman through West Yellowstone to Pocatello in the winter?

But look at a conference map sometime. There are all kinds of schools that must fly practically every team every time: BC and Miami in the ACC, ECU, Marshall, UCF and UTEP in CUSA, St Louis and Charlotte in the A10, all the PAC10 except travel partners, TCU and UCF in the Big East. Why not harass their boards too?

Finally, a reasonable post.

As far as travel in the Big Sky, the distances create issues for practically every school. N Colo, Sac St, Portland St, and NAU really don't have any reasonable bus rides (NAU will once SUU is in), especially in the winter. Ever driven from Bozeman through West Yellowstone to Pocatello in the winter?

But look at a conference map sometime. There are all kinds of schools that must fly practically every team every time: BC and Miami in the ACC, ECU, Marshall, UCF and UTEP in CUSA, St Louis and Charlotte in the A10, all the PAC10 except travel partners, TCU and UCF in the Big East. Why not harass their boards too?

Looked more like good, honest input than harrassment.

Let's be honest, the Big Sky is a great fit for UND, other than travel. I don't think it's a problem for UND as much as the travel costs for some conference members. To again be honest, the conference acted impulsively when they thought Montana might be leaving, and they thought they were getting two teams from the central time zone, not one.. Reality will set in later, with UND actually in the league in 2012.

I just look at the SUU example (where they were alone in the league) and have to wonder if the Big Sky is a destination conference for UND, simply based on travel and cost. No, I am not jealous . . . I am glad personally to be playing in the central time zone and Valley football so I personally can travel to more games. I like the Summit and the member situation and footprint keeps improving. I travel to lots of games, and to have SD and Omaha in the league is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. It's too bad that UNO is giving up football, but that might be a good thing for NDSU recruiting. When people say that the Summit is the old NCC, I say . . . what's wrong with that . . . I like the NCC. If you remember, NDSU waited an extra year to try to move the entire NCC to division I, do you remember?

The conference situations are what they are, I'm not trying be negative, just giving some honest thoughts.

It's not like the Great West/Independent route has been low in travel costs. From California to Grand Forks feels like a lot less travel than California to New Jersey. Portland can't be any further than Newark and Cal Poly doesn't sound any farther away than Stony Brook. Yeah, there may be fewer miles in the Summit/MVFC, but Grand Forks would be the outlier in those conferences too. Sacramento & Portland may not like traveling to Grand Forks any more than Oakland or Youngstown like going to Fargo.

Face it, D-I conferences are large (especially western conferences) and travel is a part of being in D-I instead of D-II or NAIA.

I'm not blaming UND for accepting an invite to the Big Sky, but I'll bet you if you asked each Big Sky president the vast majority would privately say that would not have voted them in if they had known USD would not be coming with them. So in that case, it was somewhat of a forced marriage to the other Big Sky schools.

Just curious what happened to your prediction earlier this year that the western part of ND was growing much faster than the East and Bismarck was soon going to be the largest city and metropolitan area in North Dakota? It appears Fargo grew by more people (15,000 to 6,000) and by a larger percentage (15% to 10%) than Bismarck did in the last 10 years. Close to a quarter of the population in ND lives in Cass County.

I'm going to say western ND is a 50/50 split between UND and NSDU backers at best. UND fans are always saying that NDSU is the Ag College or Moo U. What industry do you think most of Western ND residents identify themselves with? I'm going to say that agriculture would be at the top of the list.

And yes, I'm sure Western ND would suffer greatly if UND were in the Summit League. :glare: One of their most glaring needs is a Universitiy's athletics programs to follow. Road and infrastructure improvements, more law inforcement officers and expanded housing is distant second. ???

You could probably ask 90% of the residents of western ND and they would say what is the Summit League or Big Sky Conference. They are most likely more concerned with the NSIC(Mary and Minot) or the conference Dickinson is in than either of the Eastern schools.

Debating what conference is better for the fans of each school is one thing, but impling that being in one conference or the other is for the betterment of the people of the State of ND or a portion of the state is ridiculous. Is UND going to stop producing doctors for rural areas or stop researching energy atlernatives if it would join the Summit?

So will the sioux be riding the bus through western ND to help endear themselves to the ND commoners, or just doing a fly over to Sac, Portland, Greeley and Flagstaff. If they do bus trips out west, they could deliever meals to shut-ins or provide shoes and medical care and anti-cass county propaganda to the homeless citizens, establishing that UND/GF link to western ND and saving on travel costs. I think your strategy is genius.

• Upvote 2

So will the sioux be riding the bus through western ND to help endear themselves to the ND commoners, or just doing a fly over to Sac, Portland, Greeley and Flagstaff. If they do bus trips out west, they could deliever meals to shut-ins or provide shoes and medical care and anti-cass county propaganda to the homeless citizens, establishing that UND/GF link to western ND and saving on travel costs. I think your strategy is genius.

The strategy contrast with NDSU's is quite striking: Coach Bohl speeding west on I-94 with a co-ed on his arms, players and open containers in the back, and a trunk full of Best Buy gifts to ingratiate potential fans. NDSU football: taking wine, women, and song (as well as fast cars) to a whole new level! :lol:

Careful! That's how rumors on Bisonville get started. ;)

Is that kind of like the rumor on Bisonville that South Dakota sets it's bar exam so low, that any Tom, Dick or Harry can pass? JackJD, you can do better than run with those dogs, especially for someone who swears up and down he has no dog in the Sioux/Bison spat.

Just curious what happened to your prediction earlier this year that the western part of ND was growing much faster than the East and Bismarck was soon going to be the largest city and metropolitan area in North Dakota? It appears Fargo grew by more people (15,000 to 6,000) and by a larger percentage (15% to 10%) than Bismarck did in the last 10 years. Close to a quarter of the population in ND lives in Cass County.

I'm going to say western ND is a 50/50 split between UND and NSDU backers at best. UND fans are always saying that NDSU is the Ag College or Moo U. What industry do you think most of Western ND residents identify themselves with? I'm going to say that agriculture would be at the top of the list.

And yes, I'm sure Western ND would suffer greatly if UND were in the Summit League. :glare: One of their most glaring needs is a Universitiy's athletics programs to follow. Road and infrastructure improvements, more law inforcement officers and expanded housing is distant second. ???

You could probably ask 90% of the residents of western ND and they would say what is the Summit League or Big Sky Conference. They are most likely more concerned with the NSIC(Mary and Minot) or the conference Dickinson is in than either of the Eastern schools.

Debating what conference is better for the fans of each school is one thing, but impling that being in one conference or the other is for the betterment of the people of the State of ND or a portion of the state is ridiculous. Is UND going to stop producing doctors for rural areas or stop researching energy atlernatives if it would join the Summit?

One can tell that things are awfully slow on Bisonville. Nothing to do but twiddle thumbs. How long has it been since any bison team has had a meaningful game? :lol:

Two things for sure: you have absolutely no reading comprehension and that you are awfully insecure about NDSU's status in the state. As far as Bismarck growing bigger than Fargo, this is what I said:

Ever consider that Williston will double in population? That Minot will be growing substantially instead of being stagnant? That Bismarck-Mandan may challenge Fargo within 15-20 years as the state's largest metro? Those are all realistic possibilities as the Bakken (and Lodgepole, and Tyler, and Sanish-Three Forks) formations get developed. As Harold Hamm has said, ND deposits are significantly larger than Prudhoe Bay - it will just take many more people and much more capital to tap all the reserves.

And then, you being the fool that you are, take the 2010 Census, not the 2030 Census, to refute that.

Plenty of Griz fans seem to be moving into ND: Western Montana workers flock to North Dakota for jobs

When talking economic and cultural trends, it's certainly apparent that you don't have the thinking skills to process that information. But for the vast majority of readers that do, north central Montana is going to see it's own oil rush that is likely to make the Montana towns of Cut Bank, Shelby, and even Great Falls into boom towns.

Montana's new oil rush

Montana and North Dakota will be joined at the hip because of oil.

Is that kind of like the rumor on Bisonville that South Dakota sets it's bar exam so low, that any Tom, Dick or Harry can pass? JackJD, you can do better than run with those dogs, especially for someone who swears up and down he has no dog in the Sioux/Bison spat.

I was making a little joke at Bisonville's expense: no shot taken at UND. (And, by the way, do you know who the Dean of South Dakota's law school is?) The UND team name / logo story continues to be fascinating.

I was making a little joke at Bisonville's expense: no shot taken at UND. (And, by the way, do you know who the Dean of South Dakota's law school is?) The UND team name / logo story continues to be fascinating.

Take your shots at Bisonville at Bisonville or bunnyland, not here.

Barry Vickers--former property law, ethics instructor and a few other classes at UND Law School. bow.gif

What do I win?!

Sorry for the thread drift--go back to the speculating again (and, no, not as in oil, but, as in, the balance of this thread).

One can tell that things are awfully slow on Bisonville. Nothing to do but twiddle thumbs. How long has it been since any bison team has had a meaningful game? :lol:

Two things for sure: you have absolutely no reading comprehension and that you are awfully insecure about NDSU's status in the state. As far as Bismarck growing bigger than Fargo, this is what I said:

And then, you being the fool that you are, take the 2010 Census, not the 2030 Census, to refute that.

Well, considering the total growth of the Bismarck/Mandan metropolitan area was not as much as West Fargo alone grew, the Bismarck Metro area has a lot of ground to make up in 15 to 20 years. I don't think you could get the President of the Bis/Man Chamber of Commerce to make a statement that they will be larger than Fargo in 2030.

Statements like that one make YOU look like the fool. But I think most that have read your posts have come the expect some foolish statements.