SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky or Summit/Valley?

Blue

So UND not playing NDSU is Chapman's fault? That's what you're going with? WOW you have a distorted view of the facts! You need to get off that broken record.

Until you accept the fact that Chapman and his entourage poisoned the whole NDUS water - which has been documented - there isn't any use in having a conversation.

Just to make it simple enough for you to understand: if you are having a serious disagreement with your neighbor, you're not going to go out bowling and beer drinking with them.

This topic has been hashed and rehashed a million times. Let's face it there were mistakes made on both sides. Enough already. Let's put it to bed. It is the same stuff said over and over. The schools need do something about it productively or quit talking about it.. It is definitely time to move on. Both schools have their conferences and the game is of equal importance to both schools.

This topic has been hashed and rehashed a million times. Let's face it there were mistakes made on both sides. Enough already. Let's put it to bed. It is the same stuff said over and over. The schools need do something about it productively or quit talking about it.. It is definitely time to move on. Both schools have their conferences and the game is of equal importance to both schools.

I agree. Both BSC and the Summit/Valley have AQ and at large (football) bids. In bball we know only 1 team from each conference will go to the dance. Its not like either UND, NDSU a BSC or a Summit team will be a bubble team with a Kansas or a Duke. IMO I would have liked UND to keep the rivalry with NDSU, and the SD schools and be in the Summit/Valley but since it didn't happen I am happy we are in the BSC with the Montana's and the chance at a conference title and a AQ to the playoffs.

I agree. Both BSC and the Summit/Valley have AQ and at large (football) bids. In bball we know only 1 team from each conference will go to the dance. Its not like either UND, NDSU a BSC or a Summit team will be a bubble team with a Kansas or a Duke. IMO I would have liked UND to keep the rivalry with NDSU, and the SD schools and be in the Summit/Valley but since it didn't happen I am happy we are in the BSC with the Montana's and the chance at a conference title and a AQ to the playoffs.

Wasn't NDSU's opponent in the 2009 NCAA tournament Kansas?

I haven't taken NDSU seriously since they came out with the awesomely bad "Scream Yellow" marketing campaign. Personally the further we can distance ourselves from them the better of we will be.

Yeah NDSU is THAT terrible. Seriously it is mind-boggling to me how some people - on both sides - just cannot seem to give credit where credit is due to the other school. Maybe it's just me but I would prefer the two schools to be in the same conference, Big Sky or Valley, don't matter to me. A non-conference football matchup is good for bragging rights....a conference game is good for so much more. Doesn't mean we have to resort back to the NCC days whatsoever but I think it's safe to say UND, USD, SDSU and NDSU have/will successfully make the transition athletically no matter what you think about the other school.

you telling us about the deficit

my response

telling us about the student with the information

"My source is a former NDSU student who doesn't disclose any confidential info but knows the details of the problems with Chapman."

my response

The info on the Big Sky move in 1978 came from Kolpacks book. Didn't verify the info just took it as fact:

From Bison Football: Three Decades of Excellence, page 103 (edited for space):

The big news in early 1978 was a report that the two North Dakota universities were interested in joining the Big Sky Conference.

NDSU and the University of North Dakota got into the conversation after the Big Sky Conference voted to move up from Division II in the NCAA to Division I-AA. The conference created a committee to study future expansion.

Talk of the Bison and Sioux leaving the NCC got a boost when Northern Iowa announced that it was dropping out of the NCC to join the Mid-Continent Athletic Association.

North Dakota, NDSU, Nevada-Reno and Portland (Ore.) State were interested in Big Sky membership. Reno and Portland were independent.

When Norther Iowa left the North Central, the Bison and the Sioux lost an ally for a strong football program. There was some doubt if the NCC was willing to support a program that could challenge for the national Division II championship.

"My coaches remind me that all five of our losses in the last two years were to schools with a more liberal scholarship program," said Ade Sponberg, Bison athletic director.

North Dakota and North Dakota State were prepared to act together if there was a move to another league. One of the questions facing both schools was the cost of moving up to Division I-AA.

...Officials at North Dakota State and North Dakota let the Big Sky know in early May that they were interested in joinging the Division I-AA conference - if the Big Sky was interested in them.

The word came on May 23. Nevada-Reno was asked at a meeting of league presidents to join the Big Sky conference. That shut out the Bison and the Sioux.

"They weren't ready to handle a 10-game schedule," said Sponberg, who attended the Big Sky meeting with Fred Walsh, the NDSU institutional representative. "Weber State has a lucrative non-conference basketball schedule and Boise State is sitting the same way in football. They didn't want to give that up.

"We're not discouraged because we lost. We gave it our best shot. It's hard to say what the future holds. But it's (expansion in the Big Sky) not a dead issue."

You are correct that Baseball has been left out in the cold. Your swimming team is already in a solid conference. I meant all major sports are covered. Sorry for the confusion.

edit: I do believe you told us that you were attending Sanford meetings and asking about the potential donation to NDSU's BSA. Your response was that there wasn't going to be any donation. $10,000,000 later I say you were wrong about that one too.

Good lord, you spent a lot of time on this for nothing. Read my posts carefully. I never said I knew an" NDSU student" who had inside info. I do know a "former NDSU student" who knows details of the Chapman scandal. I beleive I also suggested that anyone who felt Chapman was being picked on and that the media and the devil did him in, make an appointment and get the information from Dick Hanson rather than this or any other blog. .Having said that, Chapman is gone and I understand that the new guy is sharp and should do a good job for NDSU. I said I didn't know what NDSU was doing at the time frame you referenced, but UND did not apply to the Big Sky and get turned down. Though subtle, those differences change the message. I don't think anyone here cares what NDSU was doing in the 1970's.

You have a point in that Sanford gave more money than I thought they would and sooner than I thought they would. In May of last year the donation that was discussed then went to the YMCA and some of the Sanford officials did indeed have concerns about the Chapman mess. There is also a $10,000,000 donation to UND on the table that I thought would have been done by now but likely will not be done until after the legislature does their budgeting.

My comments intitially were to comment that I think the Big Sky move is a great move for UND and NDSU did what they thought they needed to do at the time. I believe the Big Sky is a more attractive choice for UND and for future recruits.

Whoa, don't you all know that the NDSewers all know whats best for us at UND. :silly: They always have ;) they always feel the need to come over here and tell us about how great they are. I can count on one hand how many times I've ever visited Bville in the last 5 years, and have never even thought of posting there. Why? I'm not entirely sure they would know what intellect is, so I'm not going to waste it chit chattting with a bunch of sheep. (Well, they are the Ag School? I thought the reference might work)

The Big Sky gives UND a great opportunity to create our own path. I for one am really looking forward to having our teams play in the Big Sky, visiting new communities and hopefully getting recruits from new places. Whether, or not we ever come to a consensus with them on who stopped the rivalry or left it is of minimal interest to me. I don't see Gene down there letting this happen anytime soon, despite what he says to the contrary. "The... we had an opening so we called them" is such a media stunt, but whatever, I'm worried about getting our teams ready for Big Sky competition coming out of the transition, because looking at it right now- with just over a year until we're in it...we have a ways to go. But I think we can get there. My hope is for 2 Big Sky Conference Championships year 1, don't care what sports they are...but I think that would be quite the feather in the cap year one.

Good lord, you spent a lot of time on this for nothing. Read my posts carefully. I never said I knew an" NDSU student" who had inside info. I do know a "former NDSU student" who knows details of the Chapman scandal. I beleive I also suggested that anyone who felt Chapman was being picked on and that the media and the devil did him in, make an appointment and get the information from Dick Hanson rather than this or any other blog. .Having said that, Chapman is gone and I understand that the new guy is sharp and should do a good job for NDSU. I said I didn't know what NDSU was doing at the time frame you referenced, but UND did not apply to the Big Sky and get turned down. Though subtle, those differences change the message. I don't think anyone here cares what NDSU was doing in the 1970's.

You have a point in that Sanford gave more money than I thought they would and sooner than I thought they would. In May of last year the donation that was discussed then went to the YMCA and some of the Sanford officials did indeed have concerns about the Chapman mess. There is also a $10,000,000 donation to UND on the table that I thought would have been done by now but likely will not be done until after the legislature does their budgeting.

My comments intitially were to comment that I think the Big Sky move is a great move for UND and NDSU did what they thought they needed to do at the time. I believe the Big Sky is a more attractive choice for UND and for future recruits.

You pretend to be an insider with all kinds of contacts when you don't know squat is my point. You make up stories and when you get called on it you have a bad habit of trying to cover one story up with a new and more elaborate story. If you have information like you claim to always have please name a source or provide a link. You can't provide either because they don't exist. Until you can site a source you are nothing but full of hot air. The Chapman story is old news, we now know what he was. It is very easy to cover your story by trying to pull the call Dr. Hanson if you don't believe me card. What shall we ask him? A anonymous person on a message board calling themselves iramurphy has some info that i was wondering if you could verify? Get real, you know nothing but the stories you read in the media and then spin it into something bigger in your head and pass it off as real solid inside information.

You pretend to be an insider with all kinds of contacts when you don't know squat is my point. You make up stories and when you get called on it you have a bad habit of trying to cover one story up with a new and more elaborate story. If you have information like you claim to always have please name a source or provide a link. You can't provide either because they don't exist. Until you can site a source you are nothing but full of hot air. The Chapman story is old news, we now know what he was. It is very easy to cover your story by trying to pull the call Dr. Hanson if you don't believe me card. What shall we ask him? A anonymous person on a message board calling themselves iramurphy has some info that i was wondering if you could verify? Get real, you know nothing but the stories you read in the media and then spin it into something bigger in your head and pass it off as real solid inside information.

I would say what I told you before," don't get your info from a blog". There is nothing I said about Chapman that hasn't turned out to be accurate. I stated I had obtained information from a former NDSU student. Some people on this board know who that is, but I won't share that with some character from a rival school who has too much time on their hands. I obviously have no reason to trust you,. There is nothing anyone with UND ties would be able to say about the Chapman issue that you would believe and it is a dead issue. I don't need to site a source to you. I have sited the source to a few that would not betray that trust. I suggested alternate ways for you to get the same info. The meetings and the information between the state universities and the SBoHE is public information. Call a SBoHE member and ask them the details of the financial mess Chapman left. Do some research kid. You may need to get out of Johnson Hall. This stuff isn't CIA intelligence.

I don't claim to be anyone other than an old guy called Iramurphy with an interest in UND and UND athletics and I am OK with that. Most people don't use their names on these blogs so we don't have to put up with insults from someone miles away who can hide in cyber space. I don't go on rival blogs and get bent out of shape with what they or you might say about UND, the FB team, the hockey team ,the BB teams, the former AD's or the former presidents. Again I will remind you this blog was about UND moving to the Big Sky. You have managed to focus now on me and past posts. I would suggest you PC me with that crap so this blog can stay on subject. No one else cares about Iramurphy, Chapman or what the heck Ade Sponberg and the AC was doing in the 1970's

I would say what I told you before," don't get your info from a blog". There is nothing I said about Chapman that hasn't turned out to be accurate. I stated I had obtained information from a former NDSU student. Some people on this board know who that is, but I won't share that with some character from a rival school who has too much time on their hands. I obviously have no reason to trust you,. There is nothing anyone with UND ties would be able to say about the Chapman issue that you would believe and it is a dead issue. I don't need to site a source to you. I have sited the source to a few that would not betray that trust. I suggested alternate ways for you to get the same info. The meetings and the information between the state universities and the SBoHE is public information. Call a SBoHE member and ask them the details of the financial mess Chapman left. Do some research kid. You may need to get out of Johnson Hall. This stuff isn't CIA intelligence.

I don't claim to be anyone other than an old guy called Iramurphy with an interest in UND and UND athletics and I am OK with that. Most people don't use their names on these blogs so we don't have to put up with insults from someone miles away who can hide in cyber space. I don't go on rival blogs and get bent out of shape with what they or you might say about UND, the FB team, the hockey team ,the BB teams, the former AD's or the former presidents. Again I will remind you this blog was about UND moving to the Big Sky. You have managed to focus now on me and past posts. I would suggest you PC me with that crap so this blog can stay on subject. No one else cares about Iramurphy, Chapman or what the heck Ade Sponberg and the AC was doing in the 1970's

Quit with the BS stories and I'll quit calling you out. You started in with the John Q. Paulsen story in this thread and I called BS. If you didn't want it you shouldn't have started it.

Quit with the BS stories and I'll quit calling you out. You started in with the John Q. Paulsen story in this thread and I called BS. If you didn't want it you shouldn't have started it.

You really have no right to call a respected poster on here out on their sources when you make statements like "I'm 100% sure so and so didn't get and offer from NDSU" based on newspaper clippings and drivel from Hallstrom, Kolpack, and the rest of the Bison Propaganda team's statements. You are the last person on this board who should call anyone's statement BS.

You really have no right to call a respected poster on here out on their sources when you make statements like "I'm 100% sure so and so didn't get and offer from NDSU" based on newspaper clippings and drivel from Hallstrom, Kolpack, and the rest of the Bison Propaganda team's statements. You are the last person on this board who should call anyone's statement BS.

Mitch Sutton didn't receive an offer from NDSU. Call and ask him yourself. :lol:

Mitch Sutton didn't receive an offer from NDSU. Call and ask him yourself. :lol:

This NDSU hate toward UND from certain NDSU fans has gotten really old and in my view, is making NDSU look really bad. It is amazing that they would go on UND opponents web sites to trash UND, go on every major fan board (such as anygivensaturday), and to go on a UND fan website to trash UND. I can only guess they do this to attract attention to themselves and to reflect the values of NDSU. As I stated earlier, it is making NDSU look bad.

I would expect NDSU fans to support their team as I would UND fans to support its team, I also expect a little good-nature ribbing of its main rival. I don't expect the venom that comes from some fans. Individuals may have different views but facts ultimately are facts even if some individuals don't wish to believe (for example, the world is round not flat even though you can only see the flatness of the earth at any given spot and you believe the world is flat because of the limits of what you can see).

Enough is enough please.

This NDSU hate toward UND from certain NDSU fans has gotten really old and in my view, is making NDSU look really bad. It is amazing that they would go on UND opponents web sites to trash UND, go on every major fan board (such as anygivensaturday), and to go on a UND fan website to trash UND. I can only guess they do this to attract attention to themselves and to reflect the values of NDSU. As I stated earlier, it is making NDSU look bad.

I would expect NDSU fans to support their team as I would UND fans to support its team, I also expect a little good-nature ribbing of its main rival. I don't expect the venom that comes from some fans. Individuals may have different views but facts ultimately are facts even if some individuals don't wish to believe (for example, the world is round not flat even though you can only see the flatness of the earth at any given spot and you believe the world is flat because of the limits of what you can see).

Enough is enough please.

Its not??? Really?? OMG!!!!!!!!! :lol:

If you don't think iramurphy has significant contacts within ND State Government - think family - the joke is on you.

Getting a bison fan to renounce years of Chapman worship requires massive therapy to finally embrace truth. It's a tough road to hoe in recovery, but you can do it!!

I spoke with John at the recent Sanford dinner. Which part of the converstaion did you think was BS? There was nothing controversial about that conversation nor with what I stated whcih was accurate( unless you disbelieve he stated he had told the NDSU guys they should resume the game). He was our clinic administrator for years years until his retirement. He gave me crap when UND lost the UND-NDSU games and I gave him crap when UND won. We had a bit of fun with it. I didn't hear him talk to the NDSU guys I just stated what he told me. Knowing someone you worked with isn't a big deal kid. Nor is it inside information. I didn't realize you were "calling me out".( I had to smile),That isn't what I would consider calling someone out. Stating you don't believe someone because they won't reveal a source isn't really calling someone out. I say it one more time, do your research you can discover everything I have commented on is pretty accurate. I stated you had a point with the Sanford donation. I happen to work for Sanford and I did indeed speak with Sanford officials. I don't attend negotiations with Sanford and NDSU nor with UND. TheSanford donations to UND and to NDSU are well known to many within the organization. I thought the NDSU donation would not occur as soon as it did and I stated so. I obviously was wrong. I did know there would be a donation but not when and I did know there were administrators who had questions about the Chapman mess. Not sure what else you got your grundies in a bundle over but these blogs are not the bible and they are meant to share info and thoughts and ideas and should be fun. I can't for the life of me think I would waste my college years fussing over a blog from a former rival school. Go find some women or ring the bell for the Salvation Army. You are starting to remind me of a guy called Graham Cracker. At least he was a study in psychology of the people going through life as victims. I am not sure shat your problem is. You aren't hiding Joe in the sheep barn over there are you???