SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky or Summit/Valley?

Blue

Fullerton has gone on record as having discussions with another potential school. I don't know that Omaha would pick the Big Sky over the Summit League for the same reasons USD chose the Summit...money.

It's going to be interesting to see how NDSU feels about having Omaha in the league...at least from their fan's perspectives.

The football issue will be huge. If the MVFC is willing to expand again, I suspect UNO would go that route. If not, they're in the same situation UND was in, and I imagine they might choose the Big Sky.

And of course, this would all be contingent upon the Board of Regents even agreeing to allow UNO to go dI.

The MVFC has said 12 members could work, what if they offer UNO and UND membership. Douple said he still would like to see UND join the league so I don't think that bridge has been burned either.

The west division would be NCC 2.0: Now with higher expenses!

• Upvote 1

Actually, with 63 football scholarships in FCS, the "NCC" would just be going back to the days when we could offer over 50 scholarships before the "have-nots" started gutting D2. That 12 team, two division MVFC would be one heck of a football conference, that's for sure.

Is UNO a peer institution to state schools such as the U's and SU's, I don't think so. I do know we had a long relationship with UNO in the old NCC and I don't see how we can hold up our nose to them now. Especially given they are starting to shed that "commuter school" status somewhat, from what I've heard. Plus there are schools similar to, or with a worse profile, than UNO in both the BSC and Summit.

The west division would be NCC 2.0: Now with higher expenses!

I can't imagine the MVFC would offer Omaha football without some other team also being offered cause their commissioner said 11 teams wouldn't work. Otherwise they could of offered both USD and UND football memberships from the beginning. That is if Patty was being honest about everything. I might be wrong but I don't think UND would even consider the Summit/MVFC option because they are very excited about the Big Sky. The Summit would very much start looking like the NCC though wouldn't it.

I can't imagine the MVFC would offer Omaha football without some other team also being offered cause their commissioner said 11 teams wouldn't work. Otherwise they could of offered both USD and UND football memberships from the beginning. That is if Patty was being honest about everything. I might be wrong but I don't think UND would even consider the Summit/MVFC option because they are very excited about the Big Sky. The Summit would very much start looking like the NCC though wouldn't it.

Kind of like the WCHA looks like the NSIC.

• Downvote 2

The MVFC would be the NCC on 'roids. I would say, legitimately, better than the BSC.

The Summit, ehh, not so much, but the conference offers auto berths to the tournament and easier travel than the Big Sky. You could easily argue this expanded Summit or BSC either way and I couldn't disagree with you.

The talk is premature right now. UNO has not made any announcement or received any offer. Also, UND hasn't been through BSC season yet. Maybe the travel and such will work out, maybe you'll decide you want to go another route, if the opportunity presents itself.

I would like to add that many Sioux fans are not happy with Tom Douple. I understand that. Remember though the conference is bigger than any one person and Mr. Douple will not be there forever. Heck, he might be gone tomorrow. Conference decisions like this should be made with the best long term interest of the University in mind and not be based on personal grievences.

The MVFC would be the NCC on 'roids. I would say, legitimately, better than the BSC.

The Summit, ehh, not so much, but the conference offers auto berths to the tournament and easier travel than the Big Sky. You could easily argue this expanded Summit or BSC either way and I couldn't disagree with you.

The talk is premature right now. UNO has not made any announcement or received any offer. Also, UND hasn't been through BSC season yet. Maybe the travel and such will work out, maybe you'll decide you want to go another route, if the opportunity presents itself.

I would like to add that many Sioux fans are not happy with Tom Douple. I understand that. Remember though the conference is bigger than any one person and Mr. Douple will not be there forever. Heck, he might be gone tomorrow. Conference decisions like this should be made with the best long term interest of the University in mind and not be based on personal grievences.

The Big Sky has been ranked similar or better than the MVFC most years, and then just added Cal Poly, Davis , Southern Utah and UND to make them even deeper. I would take the Big Sky over the MVFC most years. Both are very good football conferences though. The Big Sky did just add a national title to their resume this year too.

No question Douple's a used car salesman/ douche as he is an admitted liar and deceiver. But after all the years of hearing NDSU fans (and even SDSU) fans say they have moved on, yet they are still infatuated with every move UND makes. UND won't be joining any Summit League or MVFC. UND has now differentiated itself from all the other Dakota schools in athletic affiliation. Why would we ever give that up? In the Big Sky, UND is it's Gateway to the midwest. In the Summit, UND would be the last stop on I-29 north in a league that so struggles with it's own identity that it changes it's own name that only adds to it's self-delusions and public anonymity.

As far as the MVFC adding UNO, that is only possible if the MVFC lost a team or went to 12. Contrary to some of the garbage on message boards about Youngstown St going to the CAA: that's such a piece of garbage. CAA schools barf at the thought of Youngstown's academics. The CAA just rejected Charlotte as a football member: the idea of Youngstown going to the CAA is one of the most incredibly stupid rumors that message boards have ever spread. The only way Youngstown finds another league is if some of the northern CAA schools split off (Maine, UNH) and start a more regional nothern league with Stony Brook, Albany, Fordham, C Conn St - and hold their nose by taking Youngstown just to fill out the schedule.

If UNO is being added to the Summit, it is only with only DII school (GVSU, SCSU, or UMD).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That could be true. UND may have seperated itself from the other Dakota schools and opened itself to a western presence. Or UND's participation in a western based conference may disillusion the midwest based sports mentality of its North Dakota supporters, a majority of which reside in the eastern part of the state. Only time will tell the end story. FWIW, I was for USD heading west to the Big Sky as well but do see both sides to this coin.

That could be true. UND may have seperated itself from the other Dakota schools and opened itself to a western presence. Or UND's participation in a western based conference may disillusion the midwest based sports mentality of its North Dakota supporters, a majority of which reside in the eastern part of the state. Only time will tell the end story. FWIW, I was for USD heading west to the Big Sky as well but do see both sides to this coin.

When UND separates itself from the rest of the Dakota schools and goes down it's own path (i.e. hockey, to a much lesser extent swimming), it seems to do well for itself. ;)

You and some other Yote fans seem to be able to grasp the potential. NDSU and SDSU fans are too emotionally invested in the Summit, so their brain can't process the potential of what the Big Sky offers.

Yeah, I am curious when and where Douple said he was still interested in UND for the Summit.

I just read Vandrovec's live chat at the Argus Leader site, and he said Douple did make a comment along the lines of the Summit would still be interested in UND. Apparently this was part of a radio interview last week.

NDSU hockey undefeated since 1892. Never lower ourselves to you again. The last encounter was an embarrasment to the state of North Dakota.

Why is it that 'SU fans always have to turn every conversation into talking about their hockey team?

• Upvote 1

:ohmy:

Sounds like it is pretty much a done deal. '11-'12 as the exploratory year with a mixed DI-DII schedule and then 2012 into the Summit.

Cutting your two most successful programs just so you can say you are a "DI" school? UNO wrestling just won their 3rd straight and 8th overall DII National Championship. Pretty disappointing to see schools take this approach.

From what I have read and heard UNO's football program was an unsustainable money pit, even at D2. They could not keep going on the present course. I think football was doomed, move or not, so now UNO looses football but gains D1 status. An easier sell?

:ohmy:

Sounds like it is pretty much a done deal. '11-'12 as the exploratory year with a mixed DI-DII schedule and then 2012 into the Summit.

Cutting your two most successful programs just so you can say you are a "DI" school? UNO wrestling just won their 3rd straight and 8th overall DII National Championship. Pretty disappointing to see schools take this approach.

Gross.

They better lock Blais up to long term deal because hockey will be carrying the load for a long time.

What possibly misled people most about UNO's intentions is that UNO just spent $1 million on a new scoreboard for Caniglia Field. Guess the new men's soccer team will have a great scoreboard!

Had posted this before, that Creighton would block UNO's entry into the MVFC, as the MVFC and MVC have the same administrators. Creighton absolutely does not want another DI basketball or baseball school in Omaha, and as the highest attendance MVC school, the MVFC will do anything to placate the Bluejays (and their money). UNO really didn't have a football conference for the FCS level. Adding all the women's scholarships and sports necessary would have been a budget killer anyway.

So how do fans of NDSU, SDSU, and USD feel about adding a hockey school like UNO to the Summit, considering that most of them knock UND's hockey? UNO is acknowledging that it is a hockey first school, and the Summit is embracing them.

What possibly misled people most about UNO's intentions is that UNO just spent $1 million on a new scoreboard for Caniglia Field. Guess the new men's soccer team will have a great scoreboard!

Had posted this before, that Creighton would block UNO's entry into the MVFC, as the MVFC and MVC have the same administrators. Creighton absolutely does not want another DI basketball or baseball school in Omaha, and as the highest attendance MVC school, the MVFC will do anything to placate the Bluejays (and their money). UNO really didn't have a football conference for the FCS level. Adding all the women's scholarships and sports necessary would have been a budget killer anyway.

So how do fans of NDSU, SDSU, and USD feel about adding a hockey school like UNO to the Summit, considering that most of them knock UND's hockey? UNO is acknowledging that it is a hockey first school, and the Summit is embracing them.

I'm fine with UNO, solid school that is in the footprint. Perfect travel partner for USD. Kind of sad they have to axe football and wrestling, but they'll be a good addition to the league.

I'm fine with UNO, solid school that is in the footprint. Perfect travel partner for USD. Kind of sad they have to axe football and wrestling, but they'll be a good addition to the league.

This move by the Summit should put to bed any talk that UND will move to the Summit / MVFC, at least until Oral Roberts leaves.

What's ironic is that UNO is moving to the Summit to solidify it's status as a hockey school. UND is taking the opposite approach: moving to the Big Sky to place more emphasis on basketball and football. The easy and less expensive route for UND would have been to go to the Summit. Going to the Big Sky shows a willingness and commitment to spend money on non-hockey sports.