SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky or Summit/Valley?

Blue

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

From Terry V's chat yesterday....

[goyotes: ]

Are the UND brass special guests for the weekend?

Thursday March 3, 2011 3:17 goyotes

3:17

TV: Um, no. But Tom Douple took a pretty solid jab at the Big Sky during the presser.

Thursday March 3, 2011 3:17

Anyone know what Douple said?

From Terry V's chat yesterday....

Anyone know what Douple said?

I watched the video...just pointed out that the Big Sky's Conference RPI is 23rd and the Summit League's is 17. Wouldn't be considered a jab without the events of the past 4 or 5 months...but because of those events, it was definately a calculated jab.

I watched the video...just pointed out that the Big Sky's Conference RPI is 23rd and the Summit League's is 17. Wouldn't be considered a jab without the events of the past 4 or 5 months...but because of those events, it was definately a calculated jab.

I just went through the remainder of the chat and they agreed with your view.

One of the "chatters" took a line from the movie North by Northwest "she really got under your skin, didn't she?" Meaning that that the Big Sky really got under Douple's skin.

• Upvote 1

Why would Douple be mad at the Big Sky? Douple is the one who sat on his hands regarding UND. Is he just mad that he lost UND to the Big Sky? UND ended up with a much better deal so I guess Douple is just going to have to move on and get over it.

It is a little concerning that the Big Sky is currently ranked 6 slots below the Summit, even with Centenary. Once the lose Centenary the gap may widen.

With what Oakland (currently RPI 56) loses, I would expect them to plummet next year, perhaps similar to how far NDSU fell after Woodside and co. left. That alone could tighten things up somewhat between the two conferences.

What seems to be killing the Big Sky right now is that there are four really weak teams--Eastern Washington, Portland State, Idaho State and Sac. State. They are all in the 293-330 range. By contrast, the Summit has just two teams in the 290's or worse (maybe two again next year even without Centenary unless USD improves greatly).

Hopefully a couple of the current bottom-tier of the Big Sky can improve to the point where they're not dragging down the conference's ranking as badly as they currently are.

With what Oakland (currently RPI 56) loses, I would expect them to plummet next year, perhaps similar to how far NDSU fell after Woodside and co. left. That alone could tighten things up somewhat between the two conferences.

What seems to be killing the Big Sky right now is that there are four really weak teams--Eastern Washington, Portland State, Idaho State and Sac. State. They are all in the 293-330 range. By contrast, the Summit has just two teams in the 290's or worse (maybe two again next year even without Centenary unless USD improves greatly).

Hopefully a couple of the current bottom-tier of the Big Sky can improve to the point where they're not dragging down the conference's ranking as badly as they currently are.

I am sure the rankings of those two conferences probably change from year to year. Does it really matter since neither one is going to get more than one in the tournament?

I am sure the rankings of those two conferences probably change from year to year. Does it really matter since neither one is going to get more than one in the tournament?

I do think it matters. Even though it may be one team, the higher your conference RPI the more likely the top couple of teams will be able to maintain an RPI that can get them at 10-12 seed....which increases the "chance" of a win.

I do think it matters. Even though it may be one team, the higher your conference RPI the more likely the top couple of teams will be able to maintain an RPI that can get them at 10-12 seed....which increases the "chance" of a win.

Unless the top team from your conference gets a couple of "quality" wins along the way it doesn't matter what your conference RPI is. Any other team but Oakland this year out of the Summit is a 14,15,16.

I sure am not to excited about this.

Times have really changed the past year or so. It seems now any halfway decent dII school is a sought-after commodity by at least one, and in some cases multiple dI conferences. A few years ago, it was obviously a whole different story.

Times have really changed the past year or so. It seems now any halfway decent dII school is a sought-after commodity by at least one, and in some cases multiple dI conferences. A few years ago, it was obviously a whole different story.

After the homecoming announcement I don't think St. Cloud will be on the Summit's list of future schools.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is a little concerning that the Big Sky is currently ranked 6 slots below the Summit, even with Centenary. Once the lose Centenary the gap may widen.

big sky and summit in mens bball are normally on par with each other. most years i would put the big sky slightly ahead of the summit. summit is normally a few spots lower but oakland this season has raised their profile for this season. that being said i do think the summit is getting better and will get better

• Upvote 1

The Summit has really improved its depth and athleticism in the past 5 years. In 2010-2011, the Summit has very good depth in the #2 thru #8 teams. I've watched the entire Summit tourney, and SUU is not a bad team at #8, and actually gave Oakland a very good game for 3 quarters. Oakland is certainly the class of the league, but #2 - #8 are capable of beating each other on any given night.

Centenary moving out is great for the Summit from a competitiveness and footprint standpoint, and SUU moving out is good for the Summit footprint too. (although SUU is a stronger BB member than WIU) I think the Summit can hit the 15-20 range for RPI year in and year out with continued improvement of the league.

Interesting tidbit, Trev Alberts, UNO's AD, is attending the Summit League tournament in Sioux Falls.

It appears as though the interest in UNO by the Summit League is ramping up a bit.

http://omaha.com/article/20110309/NEWS01/703099866#division-i-conference-eyes-mavs

Representatives of the Summit League, a 10-team conference that stretches from Michigan to Utah and from Fargo to Tulsa, are scheduled to be on the University of Nebraska at Omaha campus Wednesday and Thursday.

You have to wonder whether Fullerton has been in contact with Alberts, also.

Fullerton has gone on record as having discussions with another potential school. I don't know that Omaha would pick the Big Sky over the Summit League for the same reasons USD chose the Summit...money.

It's going to be interesting to see how NDSU feels about having Omaha in the league...at least from their fan's perspectives.