SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

From Brad's recruit list:

Seems like a solid pickup.  Keep 'em coming, coaches!

I believe this is only the 2nd D1 player from Pierre in history, South Dakota born or raised alone do not have very many. Power has developed a few SD natives in recent years so interesting to see one make it to the UND level now.

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/south-dakota-forward-carter-sanderson-commits-to-und-hockey

Article about the newest member of the UND family.

UND assistant coach Karl Goehring met Sanderson in Watertown, S.D., on Thursday to deliver the offer in person.

"I committed about 10 minutes after that," Sanderson said. "It's been one of my dream schools for a while."

He also considered Omaha and Augustana, a second-year program located in Sioux Falls.

"First and foremost, he's an unbelievable person," Needham said. "His character is off the charts. He's a leader and it wouldn't surprise me if he's a captain there one day. His work ethic is fantastic. He does all the little things that really enhance a culture. That's what he brings, I think."

"He's big, physical, hard and has the ability to make plays," Needham said. "He uses his body really well. He's smart. He's a really well-rounded 200-foot player that's accountable and willing to do anything to bring success to the team and the guys that play around him.

"He's the epitome of a North Dakota-style player, for sure."

• Upvote 2

Welcome Cole to the mix as well:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/forward-cole-bumgarner-commits-to-und-hockey

"He's a very developed player for his age," Eades said. "The more we watched him closely the last couple years, we saw a player that just creates a lot both through his speed and moves, but also with his vision and passing. He can really shoot the puck. It's exciting. We feel strongly he can play in the USHL as a 16-year-old, which is not an easy accolade to throw on anybody. But he's done well against older players in the past and we expect him to do the same for us."

"I don't think he has any glaring weaknesses, but with most young players, the defensive side of the game, the details, are things you need (to improve) as you move up the ladder," Eades said. "He's taken a couple rungs up the ladder this year and he's going to have to gain more consistency. We're really looking forward to continuing to polish the rock, and North Dakota's got a great one down the road."

• Upvote 1

Nice to get Bumgarner. Did some reading on him & a couple of the posters on GPL said that Cole has a helicopter dad, saying that Motzko tries to steer clear of that kind of dynamic. Checked out Cole on X &, sure enough, the dad & son run a joint account. Can't say I've seen that before from a hockey player. Perhaps the father was dissatisfied with the coaches Cole was playing under (playing time, coaching philosophy) & the reason why he bounced around between three high schools. Hopefully Cole can blossom here, become his own man & not be pressured from dad into entering the transfer portal if there are any wrinkles in his development while playing here.

2 hours ago, .357 said:

Nice to get Bumgarner. Did some reading on him & a couple of the posters on GPL said that Cole has a helicopter dad, saying that Motzko tries to steer clear of that kind of dynamic. Checked out Cole on X &, sure enough, the dad & son run a joint account. Can't say I've seen that before from a hockey player. Perhaps the father was dissatisfied with the coaches Cole was playing under (playing time, coaching philosophy) & the reason why he bounced around between three high schools. Hopefully Cole can blossom here, become his own man & not be pressured from dad into entering the transfer portal if there are any wrinkles in his development while playing here.

I remember hearing that Kleven's dad was a helicopter dad. I don't recall that being an issue while he was here.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, .357 said:

First choice was the goofers then?

8 hours ago, .357 said:

I’m pretty sure that account on X is actually just the Dad’s account. 

10 hours ago, .357 said:

Motzko did honor Chaz Lucius’ commitment, although that ultimately didn’t work out. Don’t know if Cruz Lucius decided on his own to change his commitment to Wisconsin or not.

Bagging a couple more from Schlossman's top-30 list would be nice. Assuming that those who haven't committed yet are currently making official visits. @cberkas & anyone else in-the-know regarding recruit visits to UND please share what you know.

12 minutes ago, .357 said:

Bagging a couple more from Schlossman's top-30 list would be nice. Assuming that those who haven't committed yet are currently making official visits. @cberkas & anyone else in-the-know regarding recruit visits to UND please share what you know.

I haven't seen or heard anything

Article on Bumgarner:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/cole-bumgarner-sets-sights-on-building-game-in-fargo-before-attending-und

"I kind of had my mind set before Aug. 1," Bumgarner said. "They made a trip down to my house and offered me. I knew I was going to go there. That was the place for me. I accepted it."

Bumgarner said he wants to improve his hockey IQ while he's in Fargo as well as build physical and mental strength.

"I want to be a dominant player, but that won't happen this year, that's just the reality of it," said Bumgarner, who will be one of the youngest players in the league. "(In the future), I want to be a star player in the league."

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...