SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

14 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Sure, here: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=177758

Cole Smith’s story is awesome, no doubt. But he’s an exception, not the rule.  How many 60+ points players in MJHL routinely play in the NHL?

@Benny Baker I've been there too. It's one of the many factors that makes this board almost unbearable. Unfortunately, if there is an exception, somebody will need to bring it up. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Travis Zajac and Zach Whitecloud have had a pretty successful NHL career

Guys…everyone’s going off the rails here. The MJ is a fairly low level league, a click above high school hockey. Yes Eddie the eagle played in the league many moons ago. Yes some Toba boys played in the league when they were 15 and then moved on to a much better league. 

I too am hoping this kid pans out, but I’d also be blown away if he gets more than 5 games next year. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, AJS said:

@Benny Baker I've been there too. It's one of the many factors that makes this board almost unbearable. Unfortunately, if there is an exception, somebody will need to bring it up. 

Exception…you mean complete outlier :) 

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Guys…everyone’s going off the rails here. The MJ is a fairly low level league, a click above high school hockey. Yes Eddie the eagle played in the league many moons ago. Yes some Toba boys played in the league when they were 15 and then moved on to a much better league. 

I too am hoping this kid pans out, but I’d also be blown away if he gets more than 5 games next year. 

I think Belfour was probably overlooked by the scouts of the time. Today, I don't think he would have been overlooked.

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think Belfour was probably overlooked by the scouts of the time. Today, I don't think he would have been overlooked.

Yeah, I’m sure they did. It was 38 years ago. Scouting is no perfect science…but the ability to scout via enhanced tech has drastically changed over that time span :) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

The point is, this program would probably have 2-3 less National Championships without guys that came in with little fanfare and were exceptions, rather than the rule.  Two NCAA MVP’s were walk ons in Phil Sykes and Matt Henderson.  Not saying this guy can even crack the lineup, but you need guys that are willing to work hard and do what they are told.  Need more players that aren’t afraid to get dirty and go to the hard areas if for no other reason than to keep the guys that are in the lineup honest.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, tnt said:

Zajac played in the BCHL and I think that league doesn’t produce as much NHL talent as it used to, but it doesn’t mean you can’t have a nice college career or as some have pointed out, even move to the next level.

Zajac played for the St. Johns Canadians in 01-02 before heading to the BCHL

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

It doesn't matter how low level the league is, if you are talented and hungry enough they will find you.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

It doesn't matter how low level the league is, if you are talented and hungry enough they will find you.

Yessir you are absolutely correct. Many people are simply name dropping players who played in that league…tons of players have played in that league but most good players were very young, and played in a better league as they got older. This kid is old…right now. At 15-16 he was playing midget hockey, not juniors. 

I am too hoping we found a diamond in the rough, but I also have been following this long enough to know who this player “most likely” is. I’m out, I don’t like sounding negative about our commits, but I couldn’t stand watching this convo play out. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

That is not even remotely close to the point I was attempting to make 

9 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

I'm sure not but its the point I am making. 

That there have been good players playing in the MJ? There’s been tons of great players that have played in that league. Many of the Manitoban Dub players played in the MJ before major juniors. 

Just now, scpa0305 said:

That there have been good players playing in the MJ? There’s been tons of great players that have played in that league. Many of the Manitoban Dub players played in the MJ before major juniors. 

No, my point is it doesn't matter where you play, scouts will find you. 

• Upvote 1

Fact of Life--Kids develop and reach their potential at different rates. 

I know of many players who while their game wasn't mature yet, they made mature decisions and did not let ego get in the way of the big picture.

for example sometimes it means choosing a team in the NAHL even though you had earned a spot in the USHL...spot as 6 or 7th d-man vs. top pair defenseman on #1 penalty kill and power play unit....which is better for your development?

59 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Mac Swanson…USHL forward of the year yesterday…player of the year today. Huge accomplishments. Not sure why we aren’t talking  about him :) 

UND leading scorer this upcoming year?

That said, I’d like to see nice jumps from OMac, Perron, and Berg next season. Those three could lead this team offensively. 

• Upvote 2

Dustin Penner was a success story at Bottineau and beyond, but didn’t he fail several times to get on the roster of Manitoba junior teams?   I understand his late physical maturation partially explained his out-of-nowhere progress.

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

UND leading scorer this upcoming year?

That said, I’d like to see nice jumps from OMac, Perron, and Berg next season. Those three could lead this team offensively. 

I would be a bit shocked if Berg out produced this past year. Omac may do a bit better but having Blake on his wing was huge. Perron will make a huge jump next year.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I would be a bit shocked if Berg out produced this past year. Omac may do a bit better but having Blake on his wing was huge. Perron will make a huge jump next year.

James will be a force to deal with. Mac could have a really high ceiling with the right chemistry (line mates)

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Sweethockey said:

James will be a force to deal with. Mac could have a really high ceiling with the right chemistry (line mates)

Shoot forgot James in my list of players to make a nice step next season. Get him into the top 6 with some high end talent and he’ll shine. 

• Like 1