SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. BADgers: Round 2

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know guys, we have a big hill to climb. This team as all the potential in the world, but potential is just unrealized success. Anotehr CFB from Hex wow, I'm speachless. And now some after game shenaigans, get your A**es back in the locker room and get focused on playing smart hockey and winning games.

As sprig says below, the CFB was really on Malone, and get this, Malone hit him with his back, actually probably his butt. Malone was turning around to head back toward the center of the ice and as he turned he hit the badger who was moving laterally along the boards. It was a questionable call IMO. Certainly wasn't on Hextall. I watched the replay about a dozen times and Hextall did nothing wrong.

You won't see anything. Hextall went to the corner, won the battle for the puck and got it to Trupp. Malone bumped into the Wisco guy and he fell down. Totally phantom call. Sioux were going to lose anyway, so it didn't make a difference.

Badger goaltending was better than the Sioux goaltending for the weekend, and that was the biggest difference.

Totally agree about goaltending. It was 2-1 and a clearing shot came down into the Sioux zone early-mid 2nd period and Eidsness seemed to struggle with it. Right there I was ready to pull him. I'm not sure they were all his fault but I think 1-2 of those Gudmonson probably stopped tonite. We needed those stops.

Sioux seemed to play 1 really good game this weekend. Unfortunately it was parts of both nights.

As sprig says below, the CFB was really on Malone, and get this, Malone hit him with his back, actually probably his butt. Malone was turning around to head back toward the center of the ice and as he turned he hit the badger who was moving laterally along the boards. It was a questionable call IMO. Certainly wasn't on Hextall. I watched the replay about a dozen times and Hextall did nothing wrong.

Totally agree about goaltending. It was 2-1 and a clearing shot came down into the Sioux zone early-mid 2nd period and Eidsness seemed to struggle with it. Right there I was ready to pull him. I'm not sure they were all his fault but I think 1-2 of those Gudmonson probably stopped tonite. We needed those stops.

Sioux seemed to play 1 really good game this weekend. Unfortunately it was parts of both nights.

Nice take Dagies! I agree with you 100%. Not very good goaltending at all this weekend.

What now??

Losing another senior captain for a month is not what this team needs.

When did Hakstol say this, I didn't hear it during the broadcast.

;)

Hak mentioned it when he was talking with Tim H after the game. They were talking about the phantom CFB on Hextall, Hak doesn't know what to do because they have had 4 really bad calls this season that were obviously wrong. Said it wasn't the reason that they lost, but that they may have had a shot to score in the last couple of seconds because the play developed the way they drew it up. Then talked about being short players the next few games because Zajac was having surgery and Kristo is probably going to be on the World Jrs. team so other guys need to step up. No specifics on the Zajac injury or when it happened.

Ouch:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=66178

UND entered the season with just three seniors and the youngest team in the league. It's only getting younger.

After the 4-3 loss to Wisconsin, it was revealed that alternate captain Darcy Zajac will miss the next four to six weeks with an undisclosed injury. With Chay Genoway still out indefinitely with the concussion, UND will be down to just one senior -- Chris VandeVelde.

The Sioux projected confidence that they'll get things going in the second half, but they'll have to do it with a lot of guys who weren't part of those previous teams.

The Sioux projected confidence that they'll get things going in the second half, but they'll have to do it with a lot of guys who weren't part of those previous teams.

This is the comment that concerns me the most. Why are they waiting to the second half to get things going.

I would imagine that there will be a review of this phantom call or play. I can see why Hakstol is upset and then add last weekends big screw up where the Sioux actually had a game stolen from them because of incompetence by the men in stripes. Especially when you have a coach on the ice yelling at the officials. Coach was really upset with the refs tonight. There is a common denominator and Todd Anderson is part of the problem

Completely agree...Eids couldn't stop a beach ball this weekend.

It's like he forgot how to play goalie. The thing that really puzzles me is why he is on his knees all of the time? Wouldnt' he cover more net if he stood up more?

It's like he forgot how to play goalie. The thing that really puzzles me is why he is on his knees all of the time? Wouldnt' he cover more net if he stood up more?

I hope last year wasn't a fluke for Eids. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be the first time UND had a goalie come in like a ball of fire and then fizzle out (Siembida, Schweitzer, even Kollar)

I hope last year wasn't a fluke for Eids. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be the first time UND had a goalie come in like a ball of fire and then fizzle out (Siembida, Schweitzer, even Kollar)

Looks like Dell isn't too bad and could be a good replacement. I think Hakstol is starting to ease him in.

Does anybody happen to know what LaPoints + - is this year? Not all Goalie issues.

Does anybody happen to know what LaPoints + - is this year? Not all Goalie issues.

There were a few incidents of bad defensive play. Good goalie stop some of those.

On a point of interest mr unbeatable let in 6 goals tonight so DU isn't unbeatable either.

He is a -5, worst on the team. But LaPoint is a beaten horse. Everyone knows he isn't the most skilled guy on the ice. He's not incompetent though.

A guy who has been a dud all season and has been getting too much credit is Vande Velde. Senior? My ass...he plays like a freshman and has the second worst +/- on the team at -4. If he didn't win a decent percentage of faceoffs, the guy wouldn't be worth much. Where is the spark with this guy? If it's because he's hurt, don't play. If it's a mental thing, sit his ass. If it's a skill thing, I can understand...but we've seen how good he can be, but he's NEVER been consistent.

The Sioux (without Chay) are being carried by the young guns...Kristo, Gregoire, Blood, MacWilliam, and Hextall. Trupper, Marto, and Malone have been rock solid also for the most part.

There's a lot of time to get this thing figured out, but I hate playing Bubblicious come February/March.

Disappointing loss needless to say. And I'll just say that the reason we didn't do to well was that our #1 goaltender was totally off his game this weekend. He was really fighting with the puck against this weekend. Now before I get yelled at for "throwing him under the bus" and treating him as how fans thought of Brian Lee, I will say it didn't help that there key Defensive lapses as well and the forwards weren't burying the puck on HUGE chances. But really the difference this weekend was goalie. Gudmanson is no Brian Elliott.

Eidsness was weak this weekend that for sure, but the defensive puck handling and breakouts were the difference. It sounds obvious, but we are SORELY missing Genoway. We might literally have two more or more wins on record with him in the liineup. It's not just his play on the ice that makes the difference it's his effect on everyone else, notably the other d men. When we have Blood and LaPointe out there trying to do too much it's trouble. Tons of sloppy passes and turnovers.

Our defensemen when out of their comfort zone are not able to break the puck out, period. I don't care if it's a 5-3, 5-4, even strength, whatever. It becomes I got I got, you take it. When Kristo is on the ice it confuses them even more. LaPointe and others on several occasions this weekend just determine that the second they touch the puck they are going to find a way to get it to Kristo no matter what. Kind of sad to watch. How much time was wasted on the power play this weekend trying to figure out a way to get the puck out of our own end? We need some defenseman that are capable of handling the puck effectively and I'm not sure we have one other than Genoway.

That said, I think it's time that Genoway gives it the old college try (no pun intended). Pop an aspirin or two and suit up. If it doesn't work it doesn't work.

AT

A guy who has been a dud all season and has been getting too much credit is Vande Velde. Senior? My ass...he plays like a freshman and has the second worst +/- on the team at -4. If he didn't win a decent percentage of faceoffs, the guy wouldn't be worth much. Where is the spark with this guy? If it's because he's hurt, don't play. If it's a mental thing, sit his ass. If it's a skill thing, I can understand...but we've seen how good he can be, but he's NEVER been consistent.

He's obviously hurt, since he was questionable going into the weekend and he looked far from 100% on the ice. The coaches decided an impaired VV was better than their other options, so he played. If he hadn't, given all the faceoffs he won Friday, it's likely this would have been a 0-point weekend. Thanks to Chris for playing hurt.

Hak summed it up best about this team...it's IMMATURE! Problem is you are 18 games into the season. Is he expecting to just flip a switch? This team struggles with the game from a mental standpoint as is evident by it's 1-6 record in games decided by 1 goal and it's inability to hold a 2 goal lead . But enough with the excuses...this team is what it is: A 9-6-3 talented hockey team that is inconsistant, immature and without consistant leadership from it's upper classman, IMO.

My concern is Zajac has been one of, if not, our best forward night in and night out and now he's gone for a month plus? Who knows if Genoway will be back. VV looked like has was playing at 70% this weekend and he has been disappointing when totally healthy.

Other than Kristo, our freshman forwards have been late to join the party. And Kriso will be leaving to for the WJC.

Gregoire, Trupp, Malone and Lammy have been up and down as well. Hextall has been more consistant as of late.

And now Eidsness looks to be struggling.

The D-men have been doing ok overall, but have moments as well.

This team because if it's immaturity has squander 3-4 potential wins. Now with all the guys out and playing inconsistantly, they need to focus on getting home ice for the first round of the WCHA and go from there. Another second half surge??? We'll see I guess.

I'm going to take the blame for the weekend. I don't get to watch all the Sioux games, but the ones I do watch are terrible. The only games I got to attend last year were the Great Lakes Invitational, so I think that sums it up. I know Eidsness has good stats, so he's obviously a good goalie, but I have never once seen him play a great game. I can't remember the last time he was the best goalie on the ice. This is pretty much par for the course when I watch. I know that is not an accurate or fair sampling and is purely coincidence, but even so, it makes it very hard for me to think he's anything more than mediocre, at best, as a result. Considering he was leading the league in GAA or save percentage for awhile I believe, he's obviously played much better, so the next time he has a game indicative of that, someone please record it and send me a copy. I'm not trying to be a jerk towards Eids, I just want to see what the kid is capable of.

Also, I'm getting a little sick of these brawls at the end of periods and games. If we don't other schools to bitch about what about bunch of goons we are, then let's not continue to give them ammo. I realize it's going to happen occasionally, but not every game against every school. I am able to watch a lot of CCHA games here in Michigan, and while the hockey isn't as good, as least they can skate to the locker room without acting like a bunch of little bitches. The reffing in the WCHA is terrible, but maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the refs didn't have to babysit in addition to calling the game. While WCHA hockey is the best conference out there, the hockey on the ice is the worst product between college hockey and the NHL. How about we stand up for our team and protect home ice by putting one in the net and worrying about the scoreboard? We won a lot more national titles when we focused on the scoreboard and not the scorecard.

First of all, keep in mind we lost by a goal to what is arguably the best team in the courtry right now. These folks in Wisconsin are pumped about this team, which has very good defense and goaltending to go along with an offense that has been missing from their teams for a long, long time. This year, I think their players are buying into the scheme in ways that has not happened in Madison for a while.

That said, I agree with the comment about chippiness at the end of games/periods. If you have some goal tender issues, stay the hell away from the Penalty box. Save your "edge" for beating people to the puck.

What I would rather not see again is having to put on a strong finish just to make the tourney. All that really matters is that they are peaking when the NCAAs come around, but if the transition game is still lacking and the goalie does not look like he can steal a game for you, they are probably looking at an early exit. I still like this team, though--a lot.