SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Athletics staying on KFGO

The Sicatoka

And how long has Sanford been is the F-M area? A couple of months!!! And they are still headquartered in Sioux Falls. A couple of months seems a little shorter than the almost 50 years NDSU and Dakota Clinic/Innovis were partners. G$n$ T$yl$r might be doing what's best for NDSU, but in this community integrity and trustworthiness still carry some merit...unless you work at ND$U.

Joe was about the almighty $$$ and Jean is carrying on the torch.

By the way, UND wouldn't have turned down the check...it would have just come from an alum!

Radio FM is the big player in the FM market, it kind of makes sense to move your radio broadcasts to what is by far the biggest player in your market. The relationship with Forum communication may have been ideal decades ago but times change. Forum Communications was no longer cutting it and a business decision had to be made.

I guess with Sanford money does talk, but at least it is a lot of money that is going to be put to great use. Any AD makes either decision, you know that.

Gene is just doing his job and doing it well.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No school has prostituted themselves more for money than UND.

FAIL.

See: U of Oregon and Nike founder Mr. Knight.

See: Oklahoma State U and T. Boone Pickens.

See: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and their "anonymous" $300 million donor (who controlled the spend of every penny)

Right - Alumi that like to run the university. No school has prostituted themselves more for money than UND.

Really Danno, Gene just ended a 50 year relationship for a check that isn't even written yet.

Right - Alumi that like to run the university. No school has prostituted themselves more for money than UND.

Negotiating a new and different deal, twice in 2 months, while still under written contracts speaks highly to the integrity of Talyor and NDSU?! :D

Here's your halo!! :D

Really Danno, Gene just ended a 50 year relationship for a check that isn't even written yet.

The Sanford deal is further along than most people think. NDSU/Sanford are doing a good job at keeping tight lipped on this deal until everything has been covered and discussed. What Sanford has proposed for NDSU and their athletic training facility has left Innovis out in the cold. Innovis would like to still be working with NDSU but can't compete with what is being proposed. Times have changed and NDSU's needs are different than what they were a decade ago as well as UND's. I believe that once all of the plans are released many will understand the reasoning behind the new direction they are going to take. 50 years is a long time and it is a shame it had to end the way it did. Taylor was on the Innovis board and I would be willing to bet that they were approached when NDSU was looking for a corporate donor for the new arena right away. I doubt Innovis was left in the dark as to what was happening. Innovis saw the writing on the wall and chose to end their relationship with NDSU before the news of the Sanford deal is released.

The Sanford deal is further along than most people think. NDSU/Sanford are doing a good job at keeping tight lipped on this deal until everything has been covered and discussed. What Sanford has proposed for NDSU and their athletic training facility has left Innovis out in the cold. Innovis would like to still be working with NDSU but can't compete with what is being proposed. Times have changed and NDSU's needs are different than what they were a decade ago as well as UND's. I believe that once all of the plans are released many will understand the reasoning behind the new direction they are going to take. 50 years is a long time and it is a shame it had to end the way it did. Taylor was on the Innovis board and I would be willing to bet that they were approached when NDSU was looking for a corporate donor for the new arena right away. I doubt Innovis was left in the dark as to what was happening. Innovis saw the writing on the wall and chose to end their relationship with NDSU before the news of the Sanford deal is released.

Taylor was on the Innovis board since it's inception in 2008. He resigned from the board in mid April due to conflict of interest secondary to the Sanford negotiations.

One of two things happened: 1) Taylor and Sanford have moved quickly on this or 2) Taylor was negotiating long before he resigned from the Innovis board.

You do the math on this one!

Again, the word intergrity and Taylor don't come together in the same sentence.

I don't doubt it was Johnson and personally its a good deal for ndsu. I just think its comical that even after its done Danno and other fans still have to compare themselves and their deals they made with UND to see how they stack up.

... Times have changed and NDSU's needs are ...

.... about 10 million bucks. End of story.

Honestly, when will SU supporters give up the comical gyrations attempting to explain "what Sanford has proposed for NDSU" and "the new direction they are going to take." This isn't about some grand alliance Sanford Health is proposing; this is about money to rebuild the BSA. Nothing more. Gene Taylor has been begging potential corporate donors -- someone, anyone -- to provide the bucks for this project and he stumbled on a winner when Denny Sanford, the credit card millionaire, came to town and gobbled up Meritcare. Good for Gene, and good for NDSU. It takes cash to get facilities projects completed, and this avenue is a ton better than Plan A, which was to soak taxpayers for half the cost of a basketball palace.

The SU-Sanford dealings are common knowledge. Innovis neither could nor would plunk down a $10 million donation. Taylor, to his credit, informed Innovis the AC would end the relationship no later than 2014. And Innovis decided it didn't want to play the patsy -- and continue to pay the price -- until Sanford/SU pulled the rug.

Want to know the details of the "new direction?" Check whatever arrangement Sanford has with USD and you probably have your answer. <Yawn.>

.... about 10 million bucks. End of story.

Honestly, when will SU supporters give up the comical gyrations attempting to explain "what Sanford has proposed for NDSU" and "the new direction they are going to take." This isn't about some grand alliance Sanford Health is proposing; this is about money to rebuild the BSA. Nothing more. Gene Taylor has been begging potential corporate donors -- someone, anyone -- to provide the bucks for this project and he stumbled on a winner when Denny Sanford, the credit card millionaire, came to town and gobbled up Meritcare. Good for Gene, and good for NDSU. It takes cash to get facilities projects completed, and this avenue is a ton better than Plan A, which was to soak taxpayers for half the cost of a basketball palace.

The SU-Sanford dealings are common knowledge. Innovis neither could nor would plunk down a $10 million donation. Taylor, to his credit, informed Innovis the AC would end the relationship no later than 2014. And Innovis decided it didn't want to play the patsy -- and continue to pay the price -- until Sanford/SU pulled the rug.

Want to know the details of the "new direction?" Check whatever arrangement Sanford has with USD and you probably have your answer. <Yawn.>

The donation that Sanford is going to "plunk" down is about $30 million. It is not just for basketball. There is talk of an addition onto the west side of the building to house NDSU's training facilities with Sanford Health and of course the indoor track/softball/baseball facility to be built where the tennis courts currently sit. It first started as a BSA renovation but has evolved into much more. NDSU is looking at a $34-$35 million dollar total upgrade of facilities. When NDSU was first looking at adding onto the Fargodome the city agreed to spending $15 million of money that is in the dome's reserve fund and NDSU had to pony up the other $15 million. Yes, those reserves came from a sales tax to help pay for the dome and that was taken off the table after the Chapman fiasco. Like I said before when all the details are released it will make more sense. The complete project details have been kept pretty quiet so far. The public doesn't know exactly what is being discussed. Innovis can't offer the kind of money that Sanford is willing to fund. Sanford is willing to come in and spend money in the community to show they are not just coming in to take over Meritcare. Sanford is talking with the Urban Plains Center also to help move their arena to the next stage of construction. This isn't about a greedy AD as much as it is about getting NDSU where it needs to be for the future and Innovis can't help them.

The donation that Sanford is going to "plunk" down is about $30 million. It is not just for basketball. There is talk of an addition onto the west side of the building to house NDSU's training facilities with Sanford Health and of course the indoor track/softball/baseball facility to be built where the tennis courts currently sit. It first started as a BSA renovation but has evolved into much more. NDSU is looking at a $34-$35 million dollar total upgrade of facilities. When NDSU was first looking at adding onto the Fargodome the city agreed to spending $15 million of money that is in the dome's reserve fund and NDSU had to pony up the other $15 million. Yes, those reserves came from a sales tax to help pay for the dome and that was taken off the table after the Chapman fiasco. Like I said before when all the details are released it will make more sense. The complete project details have been kept pretty quiet so far. The public doesn't know exactly what is being discussed. Innovis can't offer the kind of money that Sanford is willing to fund. Sanford is willing to come in and spend money in the community to show they are not just coming in to take over Meritcare. Sanford is talking with the Urban Plains Center also to help move their arena to the next stage of construction. This isn't about a greedy AD as much as it is about getting NDSU where it needs to be for the future and Innovis can't help them.

Just remember that the U of Minn almost jumped in bed with this guy too and backed out for some reason. He ended up donating some money for the new TCF stadium I think, but there was a lot of concern up front when he was trying to be the big cheese on that project. The guy has some stink on him.

I think most of this is correct, but I'm going to add one small addition. While I'm sure the Chapman mess hurt the Fargodome addition project, I think it was the stock market meltdown that was the primary cause. Those extra funds that the sales tax raised were partially invested in Wall Street. Those funds took between a four and seven million dollar hit last year. When that number came out in the Forum(I don't remember the exact figure), I knew the project was dead. There just wasn't enough money left to pay the city's share and still have enough left to maintain the building for the next 35 years. It's probable that the fund will recover(I think it's gained about a million from the low point), but you can't make decisions based on that kind of hope(or at least you shouldn't). If Sanford hadn't stepped up to the plate, we probably would have waited for the fund to completely recover and then try again; maybe in 5-7 years.

I do chuckle at some of the comments here that seem to confuse inertia with loyalty, and automatically consider "change = bad" and "status quo = good". But that's for another long post(and I've got to get back to work).

Just remember that the U of Minn almost jumped in bed with this guy too and backed out for some reason. He ended up donating some money for the new TCF stadium I think, but there was a lot of concern up front when he was trying to be the big cheese on that project. The guy has some stink on him.

I haven't read too much about the guy. I hope for NDSU's sake there isn't a problem.

I will be attending meetings at Sanford Health this week. I was told Sanford-Merit Care is not making a $30,000,000 donation to NDSU by one of the administrators who should know. I will raise this very issue and voice a strong protest to the organization. We have been told that Sanford-Merit Care will be cutting benefits to physicians and maybe salaries to some physicians in the organization. I will tell you most of us will have a problem if the organization would waste that much money for NDSU athletics at the expense of physicians.

I do chuckle at some of the comments here that seem to confuse inertia with loyalty, and automatically consider "change = bad" and "status quo = good". But that's for another long post(and I've got to get back to work).

Change isn't a bad thing Hammer. But after years of bison fans making light of Ralph and his donation and having a loud voice on where he stands on some issues, namely the nickname, with the athletic dept. Now the shoe is on the other foot only some bison fans can't admit that.

Gene saw the opportunity to finally get something done with the BSA with the condition that Innovis be kicked aside. He ended a 50 year relationship for a huge check that is plain as day. But to bison fans making a decision based on what is in the best interest of a donor is suddenly a wise move and Gene is a wise man. Our previous president and athletic directors where foolish and gutless to bison fans for doing that exact same thing. So which is it?

I will be attending meetings at Sanford Health this week. I was told Sanford-Merit Care is not making a $30,000,000 donation to NDSU by one of the administrators who should know. I will raise this very issue and voice a strong protest to the organization. We have been told that Sanford-Merit Care will be cutting benefits to physicians and maybe salaries to some physicians in the organization. I will tell you most of us will have a problem if the organization would waste that much money for NDSU athletics at the expense of physicians.

Doubt that Sanford Health itself would make the donation, but T Denny Sanford would. Mr Sanford is worth around $1 Billion, so it wouldn't be a stretch. By making the donation, he could name the BSA whatever he choses. By chosing Sanford-Merit Care as a name it would create goodwill within the FM area that was partially lost when Merit Care merged with Sanford Health.

It is unclear if Sanford Health is going to be the sole donor or if Denny Sanford himself will be donating or both. We do know thanks to Dick Hanson at his Bemidji interview that NDSU has $29 million already raised. I am interested in what response you get at the meetings. Please let us know what info you can get if any.

He initially pledged $35 million to be the lead investor for the new football stadium, but he backed out. The official reason is stated in this article.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080211104334/...004/10/19/10766

"We tried our best to encourage (Sanford's) gift within the parameters that were acceptable to the president and the Board of Regents," said Mark Rotenberg, University general counsel.

Sanford wanted permanent naming rights, a condition the University did not accept, Rotenberg said.

Of course, there were a lot of rumours down here on talk radio at the time about what really happened. Who knows how much of it was true. I don't remember the details now.

He ended up donating $6 million near the end of the fundraising campaign.

I guess I'm still trying to understand how NDSU is going to play this...got $35 to $45 million to spend on a new sports facility, but can't even balance their budget for the academic side of the university - apparently during Hansens interview at BSU he said the accounting report is going to be bad, really bad...so how does this play out?

BobIwabuchiFan

I really don't see the potential controversy that should should come from this apparent arrangement. Regardless of a "50 year history" or not, it sounds like a good deal for NDSU. If a similar scenario were to play out for UND, hypothetically speaking.............if Rudy Luther and Downtown Jaguar of Minneapolis offered 3-4 times the amount that the Rydell Auto Group offered to be sponsor of the starting lineup at hockey games, I certainly wouldn't object. Business is business IMO. Having said that though, in my own personal opinion and based on my own personal conversations and correspondence with Gene Taylor, I wouldn't put much stock into what he tells the media or even NDSU's Teammakers. He definately has a future in Politics........

I think most of this is correct, but I'm going to add one small addition. While I'm sure the Chapman mess hurt the Fargodome addition project, I think it was the stock market meltdown that was the primary cause. Those extra funds that the sales tax raised were partially invested in Wall Street. Those funds took between a four and seven million dollar hit last year. When that number came out in the Forum(I don't remember the exact figure), I knew the project was dead. There just wasn't enough money left to pay the city's share and still have enough left to maintain the building for the next 35 years. It's probable that the fund will recover(I think it's gained about a million from the low point), but you can't make decisions based on that kind of hope(or at least you shouldn't). If Sanford hadn't stepped up to the plate, we probably would have waited for the fund to completely recover and then try again; maybe in 5-7 years.

Your kidding me right... I love ND$U's commitment to money, I mean excellence. Think about it - you have ND$U ie Gene n Chappy, Credit Card Industry ie Denny n First Premier Bank and the nonprofit Health Insurance industry Krabbenhoft n Paulsen all in bed together. You can't make it up!!!

Hey Chuckles - what do you call - Chappy, Denny and John Q. in a line-up?

Guilty - thank you I will be here on Monday Nights through the end of the month.

Having said that though, in my own personal opinion and based on my own personal conversations and correspondence with Gene Taylor, I wouldn't put much stock into what he tells the media or even NDSU's Teammakers. He definately has a future in Politics........

I have heard the same thing from a few Bison boosters myself.

• 3 months later...

I see the Fargo Arbitron ratings are out and WDAY isn't in the top 10,

Of course these numbers are from Fall 2009 and Spring 2010 when they were the NDSU flagship. UND's flagship was #1. We'll have to see how the numbers change now that Sioux sports is on WDAY. I would think that WDAY's numbers will go up, especially in the spring with Sioux hockey.

Go Sioux!!

I don't think sports because they don't usually occur in the 6a to 6p window of prime listening have much effect on the ratings. Also, the measurement periods are actually pretty short so I don't think that NDSU or UND sports deserve any credit or blame in regards to a stations ratings numbers. I'm just thankful that we have a affiliate in Fargo again who wants us, who has a good night time signal so I can get the games if I'm at the lake or out hunting later this year.

I don't think sports because they don't usually occur in the 6a to 6p window of prime listening have much effect on the ratings. Also, the measurement periods are actually pretty short so I don't think that NDSU or UND sports deserve any credit or blame in regards to a stations ratings numbers. I'm just thankful that we have a affiliate in Fargo again who wants us, who has a good night time signal so I can get the games if I'm at the lake or out hunting later this year.

I will be the first to admit, that I'm no expert on Arbitron ratings, but I do have a couple of points about radio and in general and my listening habits.

First point is that the ratings are from 6:00AM to midnight, which obviously would include Sioux hockey. Next, when you get someone tuned into a station for a sports event you are more able to capture them for other programming. You build loyalty.

When I travel to New Orleans I listed to WWL. I started listening to them, as the home of the Saints. Now that is about the only station I listen to in New Orleans. A bonus is that they have such a strong signal I can get them in Pensacola.

We'll see how it shakes out in a couple of years. :)