SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Athletics staying on KFGO

The Sicatoka

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's mainly KEYZ out of Williston(they hit Regina) and KFYR/KXMR out of Bismarck(they get up to Winnipeg). You guys used to have KFYR, but we stole them away a year or two back. And you're right about getting to the market first. You guys are doing exactly what we did, but about three or four years later. In year 1, you finish the final year of your media contract but add a few new stations to create a network. In year 2, you bring the production in-house but leave the network basically the same(a couple additions). In year 3, you expand the network by adding new markets and upgrading to more powerful stations in existing markets. From then on, you expand or upgrade when possible. You guys are now in year 2, while we are around year 5. The big difference between us is that we didn't have anyone entrenched in the more powerful stations. You guys will have to steal stations away from us or add many more smaller stations to cover the same area. Next year will be very telling. Whoever can get KSJB 600 AM out of Jamestown will have a big advantage.

A big advantage....in radio.

Does that really mean anything these days?

I don't know about you, but where I'm from families haven't gathered around the living room radio for like...many years?

Or sign some kids from Jamestown. I remember KSJB was an Angels affiliate for many years while Erstad was playing there.

Also, CFAM in Winkler might not be a bad station to target. Steady Eddie's hometown and I believe it covers Winnipeg, might even hit Brandon as well.

As for TV, FSSN should try to work out a deal with Rogers Sportsnet, similar to what Hockey East has done. Perhaps partner with Denver and FOX Rocky Mountain to fill more weekends.

I also seem to recall that a few years back when a starting UND quarterback was from Jamestown that KSJB-AM was part of the Fighting Sioux Football Radio Network.

Or sign some kids from Jamestown. I remember KSJB was an Angels affiliate for many years while Erstad was playing there.

Also, CFAM in Winkler might not be a bad station to target. Steady Eddie's hometown and I believe it covers Winnipeg, might even hit Brandon as well.

As for TV, FSSN should try to work out a deal with Rogers Sportsnet, similar to what Hockey East has done. Perhaps partner with Denver and FOX Rocky Mountain to fill more weekends.

I seem to recall that when a starting UND quarterback was from Jamestown that KSJB-AM was one of the stations on the Fighting Sioux Football Radio Network.

I don't know about you, but where I'm from families haven't gathered around the living room radio for like...many years?

Honestly, these days, if there's any sort of "night signal" issues I go to the broadband and listen on-line.

About the only time I'm really concerned about radio is if I'm in a car during a game.

Is commercial radio going the way of commercial newspapers?

• 2 months later...

NDSU inks six year deal with Radio FM...

North Dakota State University Athletics announced a six-year year flagship agreement with RADIO Fargo-Moorhead at a press conference held at the RFM studios on Tuesday, March 30.

A six-member committee at the University concluded a thorough bid and negotiation process over the past six months which resulted in the selection of RADIO Fargo-Moorhead as the exclusive radio rights holder to NDSU athletic events.

Details of the agreement, which runs through 2016, includes the Mighty 790AM KFGO as the flagship station of Bison Athletics -- football, men

I hope KFGO has to pay a substantial penalty for breaking the contract 2 years early. It really sheds a very poor light on KFGO and their business ethics. Shame on you. KFGO doesn't have any respect for loyalty or contracts. I have definitely changed my attitude about KFGO. I have no respect for their ownership.

As someone who listens to RFM on a regular basis this doesn't make me happy at all. But on the bright side, if WDAY pickup up UND, perhaps the Forum will put the FB and HKY teams on the front page more than only when they lose.

I hope they don't go to the Flag.

This also means that Hammer will be doing Bison FB Games as rummored I Bet.

As someone who listens to RFM on a regular basis this doesn't make me happy at all. But on the bright side, if WDAY pickup up UND, perhaps the Forum will put the FB and HKY teams on the front page more than only when they lose.

I hope they don't go to the Flag.

This also means that Hammer will be doing Bison FB Games as rummored I Bet.

No, Scotty Miller will be moving over to Radio FM he will do Bison and Redhawks games and it sounded like he might host a sports night show and will also appear on other Radio FM programming.

WDAY radio will now almost certainly be part of the Fighting Sioux network.

I hope so. Obviously a great radio distribution package doesn't mean as much as it did just 10 years ago, but it still has its merits. KFGO and WDAY are the only Fargo stations that deliver a decent night time signal at a distance. In my case, roughly 100 miles west of both GF and Fargo, it has been great having games on KFGO when I am not home, like if I'm driving or in a tractor to listen to night time games. You can get KFGO and WDAY tolerably well at night in the Jamestown area, 96.1 The Fox not so much. In my area Hockey isn't a problem because there is a strong FM signal out of Devils Lake, but I almost always tune to KFGO for football. My fear is that Hennan will make a serious play to get UND on his station, which can be heard in Hebron during the day, but is questionable in Casselton at night. Perhaps with the dire straights that WDAY is in, they could get some Sioux basketball games on that station in the Fargo area as well. Lord knows they need programming.

Hopefully, this also means the statewide ABC TV network (WDAY, WDAZ, KBMY, KMCY) will all have occasional Fighting Sioux video broadcasts.

Doubtful. WDAY Radio would just be an affiliate, not the flagship like they were for NDSU. They'd have the same investment in Sioux athletics as the Plentywood, MT affiliate.

I don't begrudge RFM at all for wanting NDSU. They are a Fargo station and NDSU is the hometown team. I'm a little discouraged at how it all went down though. 2 hours notice? Why renew their agreement with UND last year for 3 seasons when the obviously knew they would making a play for NDSU this year? Selfishly, I'm most upset because for the first time ever when they re-upped last year the Coach's show was available in my area for the first time.

I wonder if this affects Hammer's role as play by play guy. I would suspect not. He is an employee of UND just like Hennessey and Ralston.

More than anything, this was about RFM burying Forum Comm. even deeper than they already have over the years. They took the Redhawks, the Bison, and most importantly I think, Scott Miller.

I hope so. Obviously a great radio distribution package doesn't mean as much as it did just 10 years ago, but it still has its merits. KFGO and WDAY are the only Fargo stations that deliver a decent night time signal at a distance. In my case, roughly 100 miles west of both GF and Fargo, it has been great having games on KFGO when I am not home, like if I'm driving or in a tractor to listen to night time games. You can get KFGO and WDAY tolerably well at night in the Jamestown area, 96.1 The Fox not so much. In my area Hockey isn't a problem because there is a strong FM signal out of Devils Lake, but I almost always tune to KFGO for football. My fear is that Hennan will make a serious play to get UND on his station, which can be heard in Hebron during the day, but is questionable in Casselton at night. Perhaps with the dire straights that WDAY is in, they could get some Sioux basketball games on that station in the Fargo area as well. Lord knows they need programming.

Doubtful. WDAY Radio would just be an affiliate, not the flagship like they were for NDSU. They'd have the same investment in Sioux athletics as the Plentywood, MT affiliate.

I don't begrudge RFM at all for wanting NDSU. They are a Fargo station and NDSU is the hometown team. I'm a little discouraged at how it all went down though. 2 hours notice? Why renew their agreement with UND last year for 3 seasons when the obviously knew they would making a play for NDSU this year? Selfishly, I'm most upset because for the first time ever when they re-upped last year the Coach's show was available in my area for the first time.

I wonder if this affects Hammer's role as play by play guy. I would suspect not. He is an employee of UND just like Hennessey and Ralston.

More than anything, this was about RFM burying Forum Comm. even deeper than they already have over the years. They took the Redhawks, the Bison, and most importantly I think, Scott Miller.

For the record. Scott Miller is unlistenable. my oh my.