SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs UNH WILDCATS

AZSIOUX

Wow, we are on the same wave length! Check out my post on the powerplay thread from a couple days ago.

Passing is the most important aspect of hockey. If you ask anyone who played pro, the passing is the key difference at that level. Hard, Fast and On The Tape!

What if you don't tape your stick. :sad:;):lol:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Sioux blog:

The main news you are all probably wondering about is forward Matt Watkins. Coach Dave Hakstol said that he didn't have any new updates on Watkins and that the situation is still the same was it was on Saturday. On Saturday, Hakstol said that Watkins was doubtful to play in the regionals, but they were going to "work like hell" to get him ready. The fact that UND plays on Saturday instead of Friday has to help a little bit. Watkins is on the ice, as you would expect.

We know that Watkins will travel, for sure. In fact, the entire team will be in Manchester. Hakstol said in past years they have tried both methods of travel for the regionals: taking a travel roster and taking the entire team.

This year, the coaching staff left it up to the captains and the captains were adamant that everyone goes on the trip. Hakstol said the captains told the staff that there are 25 people, but they view it as a group of one and that it's important that everyone is there.

As for the first few days of practice this week, Hakstol said they have gone well. Practices were a little more physical than normal, because the coaches want the team to regain its battle level. Captain Ryan Duncan said he thought they lost too many one-on-one battles last weekend. Read more on that in Thursday's Herald.

The Grand Forks Airport was closed this morning because of the bad weather, but it should be fine by the time the team flies out early Thursday afternoon.

If Watkins is skating in practice, hopefully he can give it a go against UNH.

From the Sioux blog:

If Watkins is skating in practice, hopefully he can give it a go against UNH.

You know when I saw Lamb leg check Watty that really upset me that was a bush league move. I told Sioux7 he is going to be hard pressed

to play again this year then he came back out on the ice. Funny if Lamb had been wearing Purple he probably would have been suspended.

You know when I saw Lamb leg check Watty that really upset me that was a bush league move. I told Sioux7 he is going to be hard pressed

to play again this year then he came back out on the ice. Funny if Lamb had been wearing Purple he probably would have been suspended.

If it hadn't been post season, he likely would have got the beat down he deserved. I thought Watkins left a big hole on that line, as he and Zajac are great on the forecheck and cycling the puck. It's been them that often get the things going the Sioux way when the team is struggling. Not to mention the Zajac/Watkins PK.

Sioux need him to be ready to play.

If it hadn't been post season, he likely would have got the beat down he deserved. I thought Watkins left a big hole on that line, as he and Zajac are great on the forecheck and cycling the puck. It's been them that often get the things going the Sioux way when the team is struggling. Not to mention the Zajac/Watkins PK.

Sioux need him to be ready to play.

Watkins is a big time leader. I hope he can play.

My keys to winning the regional:

1. Powerplay - special teams

The PP has to be much better than it has been the past few weeks. I would like to see an occasional variation on the PP, something that is not on tape...maybe putting Finley in front of the net, no way anyone will move him out and it would be difficult for the goalie to see with himthere. I would also like to see Kozek on one of the wings once in a while. The few times he is used on the PP they put hime in front of the net which doesn't give him the chance to use his best asset which is his laser wrist shot. Whatever we do I don't believe we can just stand pat and continue what we are doing. It is not working and right now looks like it is easy to defend.

If we win the special teams battle we greatly increase our chance of winning the game.

2. Aggressive play

IMO, we seem to play our best when we are aggressive and hitting everything in sight. I don't feel like we are hitting as much lately, maybe it is due to injuries but if we don't hit we won't win.

3. Adapt to the game

If a few players are below par don't hesitate to change things up. With all the tv timeouts there is no need to roll four lines all game. If some players aren't getting it done then let them sit. Can't be quite so patient now that it is one-and-done. Play and coach the entire game with a sense of urgency. This team can win the regional but to do so we need to play our best two games of the season.

4. No more brain farts

Cannot see anything that comes close to the screwup that cost us the first goal against UMD. Can't happen or we lose.

No defensive breakdowns or turnovers, no cheating on the offensive end that leads to odd-man rushes. We need Finley and Genoway to play at the top of their games.

5. Passing

Quick tape-to-tape passing with speed. Helps in all facets of the game. Seems like too many passes are just off or bouncing which destroys any flow to the game. It is really noticeable on the powerplay.

6. Goaltending

Obviously we need Eids to be on top of his game. He is no longer a freshman. I am guessing he has played in as many or more games as a freshman than Lammy did in his first two seasons combined so he has had considerable experience.

7. No excuses

After the games, win or lose, we need to be able to say we played and competed to the best of our ability at this time. I don't want to hear about heavy legs, etc. At this time of the year there can be no excuses. If someone is battling an injury and that limits what they can do then maybe they should be sitting. Play Toews or Davidson, shorten the bench, whatever it takes.

This senior class is special to me. It may be a long, long time till we get another freshman class with as much talent as that group of 13. They have gone to three frozen fours and a fourth is not out of the question. I have had the pleasure of meeting most of them and getting to know many of the parents. Without exception they are some of the nicest people I have ever met in my 40 years of following Sioux hockey. It doesn't seem possible that these four years are coming to an end. The only proper ending for their college careers is to win their final game of the season.

Finally, if I could say one thing to the team it would be this: "Play smart, play aggressive, and leave it all on the ice".

I am heading out to Manchester on friday and I am not ready for the season to end. Go Sioux !!

I like what was said here. Finley infront of the net would be a huge screen that is for sure.

I would like to elaborate a little more on what I think is the biggest issue with the Sioux's play lately. Their passing. And it is not just that they need to get more crisp. They do need that, but

the biggest issue I have seen is the passing and decision making when we are trying to get out of our zone and advance up ice. It is in these situations that we are trying way too many tricky or tough passes AND our opponents know this. They are ready for these extravagant cross-ice or through traffic passes, hawking those lanes and getting their sticks on the puck.

This of course leads to a good chance that they will gain possession and have another offensive rush/possession.

Another problem with our team is our T.O.P. It is way down from what it has been the last few years. Additionally, we are not good at regaining possession when the opponent takes our zone. So these neutral ice turnovers are very costly. It's not like in years past where we would go into our zone and basically take the puck back in a Grand Forks minute..

Solution:

Be more patient when leaving our zone. Skate with the puck, double back, get it to skaters, ie Genaway, and skate with it. That will get the other team to stop hanging around for the passing lane they think is going to be used.

One more thing. going back to the Friday night game against CC recall our OT Goal?

It was a rush by the left wing, Malone, where he fired the puck on net looking for the rebound. Zajac found the rebound and buried it. I bring this up because we have been trying it over and over again, especially in the M. Tech series. The problem here is that what happens often is that the rebound goes out to the other side where our opponent's are waiting for it. This play results in a rush the other way way to many times AND given this we do not MAINTAIN possession. Don't get me wrong, I think the play is a good one, but we push it and the wing shoots on goal even if he has to get deep to do it. This makes it a shallow and shot yielding basically a toss of the puck to the other side in open ice that is up for grabs. Not good..

My keys to winning the regional:

1. Powerplay - special teams

The PP has to be much better than it has been the past few weeks. I would like to see an occasional variation on the PP, something that is not on tape...maybe putting Finley in front of the net, no way anyone will move him out and it would be difficult for the goalie to see with himthere. I would also like to see Kozek on one of the wings once in a while. The few times he is used on the PP they put hime in front of the net which doesn't give him the chance to use his best asset which is his laser wrist shot. Whatever we do I don't believe we can just stand pat and continue what we are doing. It is not working and right now looks like it is easy to defend.

If we win the special teams battle we greatly increase our chance of winning the game.

2. Aggressive play

IMO, we seem to play our best when we are aggressive and hitting everything in sight. I don't feel like we are hitting as much lately, maybe it is due to injuries but if we don't hit we won't win.

3. Adapt to the game

If a few players are below par don't hesitate to change things up. With all the tv timeouts there is no need to roll four lines all game. If some players aren't getting it done then let them sit. Can't be quite so patient now that it is one-and-done. Play and coach the entire game with a sense of urgency. This team can win the regional but to do so we need to play our best two games of the season.

4. No more brain farts

Cannot see anything that comes close to the screwup that cost us the first goal against UMD. Can't happen or we lose.

No defensive breakdowns or turnovers, no cheating on the offensive end that leads to odd-man rushes. We need Finley and Genoway to play at the top of their games.

5. Passing

Quick tape-to-tape passing with speed. Helps in all facets of the game. Seems like too many passes are just off or bouncing which destroys any flow to the game. It is really noticeable on the powerplay.

6. Goaltending

Obviously we need Eids to be on top of his game. He is no longer a freshman. I am guessing he has played in as many or more games as a freshman than Lammy did in his first two seasons combined so he has had considerable experience.

7. No excuses

After the games, win or lose, we need to be able to say we played and competed to the best of our ability at this time. I don't want to hear about heavy legs, etc. At this time of the year there can be no excuses. If someone is battling an injury and that limits what they can do then maybe they should be sitting. Play Toews or Davidson, shorten the bench, whatever it takes.

This senior class is special to me. It may be a long, long time till we get another freshman class with as much talent as that group of 13. They have gone to three frozen fours and a fourth is not out of the question. I have had the pleasure of meeting most of them and getting to know many of the parents. Without exception they are some of the nicest people I have ever met in my 40 years of following Sioux hockey. It doesn't seem possible that these four years are coming to an end. The only proper ending for their college careers is to win their final game of the season.

Finally, if I could say one thing to the team it would be this: "Play smart, play aggressive, and leave it all on the ice".

I am heading out to Manchester on friday and I am not ready for the season to end. Go Sioux !!

I think that you nailed it with #3. There were times at the Final Five where I thought "Why in the hell is that line on the ice right after a TV timeout..." With the TV timeout situation the way it is I don't think there is any reason to be rolling all four lines. The fourth line has been huge for the Sioux this year, but so far in the playoffs they've been kind of a hinderance to the sioux.

#6 is right on too. Eidsness is no longer a Freshman. The amount of time he's been in the net is greater than most if not all the Freshman goaltenders in Sioux history. We hadn't seen any Freshman mistakes really before the final five, but of all the goalies at the final five I thought that he was the most shaky. Hopefully he got it out of his system.

I'm sure those things have been talked about in the locker room, but saying and doing something are completely two different things.

Wow, we are on the same wave length! Check out my post on the powerplay thread from a couple days ago.

Passing is the most important aspect of hockey. If you ask anyone who played pro, the passing is the key difference at that level. Hard, Fast and On The Tape!

Great minds think alike :lol:

#6 is right on too. Eidsness is no longer a Freshman. The amount of time he's been in the net is greater than most if not all the Freshman goaltenders in Sioux history. We hadn't seen any Freshman mistakes really before the final five, but of all the goalies at the final five I thought that he was the most shaky. Hopefully he got it out of his system.

Eidsness made a mistake, maybe a miscommunication, maybe a freshman screw up; and it cost the Fighting Sioux a big goal. That one doesn't go in, it's a different game. But Brad is not alone. Think back to the 2001 National Championship game against BC. Karl Goering muffs a pass from behind the net to the stick of a BC forward who stuffs it in the empty net before Karl can even get around the side of the net. First goal of the game...that one doesn't go in and it's a different game...one the Sioux might have won. Karl had already won a National Championship the year before. He'd been there. He wasn't a freshman, he was considered one of the best goalies in college hockey. Yet he still made a similar, and quite costly error. It happens in hockey at all levels, as it happens in sport at all levels. Championship teams overcome these mistakes and put themselves in the position to win anyway. The Sioux took that 2001 game to OT with the most memorable five minutes at the end of a third period I think I've ever seen. And the game winner that beat Karl at the end was a championship goal...worthy of a title.

What I am saying is this: All the players on the ice, on both teams, can be expected to make mistakes. The championship team is the one that will shake it off and rally around each others talent and put in 110% to recover and put themselves in position to win.

Go Sioux!!

Eidsness made a mistake, maybe a miscommunication, maybe a freshman screw up; and it cost the Fighting Sioux a big goal. That one doesn't go in, it's a different game. But Brad is not alone. Think back to the 2001 National Championship game against BC. Karl Goering muffs a pass from behind the net to the stick of a BC forward who stuffs it in the empty net before Karl can even get around the side of the net. First goal of the game...that one doesn't go in and it's a different game...one the Sioux might have won. Karl had already won a National Championship the year before. He'd been there. He wasn't a freshman, he was considered one of the best goalies in college hockey. Yet he still made a similar, and quite costly error. It happens in hockey at all levels, as it happens in sport at all levels. Championship teams overcome these mistakes and put themselves in the position to win anyway. The Sioux took that 2001 game to OT with the most memorable five minutes at the end of a third period I think I've ever seen. And the game winner that beat Karl at the end was a championship goal...worthy of a title.

What I am saying is this: All the players on the ice, on both teams, can be expected to make mistakes. The championship team is the one that will shake it off and rally around each others talent and put in 110% to recover and put themselves in position to win.

Go Sioux!!

Exactly...and unfortunately the misplay to start the game against UMD set the tone for the whole weekend. We never were able to recover from that. Time to turn the page...hell if Muse could lead BC to a title last year so can Eidsness.

and NO webcast through team sites. this site below may pick them up the day of games

http://www.channelsurfing.net/

I'm not sure on this but was looking at the cable guide last night and I think a person can order single games on ESPNU but only on game day....Not in advance. I live in forks and have Midco with extra packages. Any other thoughts form someone? What about direct TV, is it on there? Got that at the lake.

I'm not sure on this but was looking at the cable guide last night and I think a person can order single games on ESPNU but only on game day....Not in advance. I live in forks and have Midco with extra packages. Any other thoughts form someone? What about direct TV, is it on there? Got that at the lake.

ESPNU is an add on with the directtv sports pack. It's part of the classic 250 package on dish.

A veritable avalanche of news articles in the last two days are on the news page (you may want to click the "Newest" tab to get chronological order).

I came here with intent of copying the links into the thread, but there really are too many. Here are a few of my favorites:

After Capitals prospect recovers, Sioux fight back

It's more than just a coincidence that North Dakota started playing better when Finley returned - his presence in front of the Sioux net is menacing, and at the other end of the ice, Genoway can jump into the play knowing Finley has his back. “Initially, what [Finley's return] did was give us a chance to let some of the dominoes fall into place and let guys play roles they're more suited for rather than trying to leap forward in the number of minutes and situations they have to play,” coach Dave Hakstol said. “Joe's a big presence and a steady influence throughout our lineup.”

Proving Ground

No one on the current University of New Hampshire hockey team's roster has ever won an NCAA playoff game.

UNH (19-12-5) has lost three of its last four, including a two-game sweep at home at the hands of Boston College in the quarterfinals of the Hockey East playoffs. That's not the way the Wildcats wanted their to season to end. They will be making their eighth consecutive appearance in the NCAA tournament, an active streak matched only by Michigan.

Umile under fire (UNH's own version of a Fire Hakstol thread)

In short order, there were half a dozen comments attached to the story, none complimentary. Eventually, there were entries from 18 different sources. One ended up being positive.

A sampling:

-- "Marty Scarano? It's time for Umile to go. This is pathetic."

-- "How many more years in a row do the 'Cats tease us with top 10 rankings and then choke when it matters."

Apparently Vandy had a separated shoulder last weekend? Hopefully the situation has improved.

ON THE BENCH: One of the Oilers' top college prospects, U of North Dakota centre Chris Vande Velde, played last week at the WCHA finals in St. Paul, Minn. with a separated shoulder. He didn't show much to GM Steve Tambellini, but he couldn't do what he does best -- play aggressively. He will play this weekend in the NCAA's Sweet 16, however, as will 2007 first-round draft Riley Nash (Cornell).

Apparently Vandy had a separated shoulder last weekend? Hopefully the situation has improved.

ON THE BENCH: One of the Oilers' top college prospects, U of North Dakota centre Chris Vande Velde, played last week at the WCHA finals in St. Paul, Minn. with a separated shoulder. He didn't show much to GM Steve Tambellini, but he couldn't do what he does best -- play aggressively. He will play this weekend in the NCAA's Sweet 16, however, as will 2007 first-round draft Riley Nash (Cornell).

Wow, that's news to me.

Hopefully he's healed up enough to play well this weekend!