SiouxSports.com Forum

(PWR) PairWise Rankings - 2009

jimdahl

I don't think he is in Kane's class either. But he really shouldn't be compared to a #1 overall pick initially when he will be lucky to be a top 10 pick. I think he is a PMB clone with hopefully a little more willingness to shoot.

yeah kane is is hiw own class. #1 pick and just flat out a player. schroeder will be a top ten pick and is very good himself but his own type. very skilled overall

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kane is overrated and this is coming from a Blackhawks fan.

I kind of agree with this. :whistling: Also a blackhawks fan. He's a good player, true, but he's been way over-hyped in my opinion. Though, my thoughts on this are probably clouded by the fact that Toews got hosed for rookie of the year. :blush:

oh, wasn't that impressed with schroeder either. if he gets rookie of the year i'm going to pull a denver and walk on the ice at the X at the final five. haha... i am kidding... since he probably will get rookie of the year and i probably won't walk on the ice.

I'm not sure Kane is as much overrated as somewhat overhyped for aspects of his game that just aren't a part of it.

I don't see Kane as anything but a scorer really. He's less of a defensive liability than Ovechkin or Malkin but not quite as gifted a scorer.

In my opinion, I think Kane is a Vanek type player.

Looking now at him, is he a #1 overall pick? Well.... certainly still a top 5.

He's not going to wow people like Ovechkin nor is he going to have the media drooling over him like Crosby.

Yes they will be, especially with a win Thursday. Beat Northwestern and I'll bet you any amount of money that they are in, no doubt about it. Even a loss and we could still squeak in. Not like I'm going to watch the Gophers anyway, because the rule is that the host team can not play in their own regional.

If you buy me some hashbrowns I'm there in a heartbeat :whistling:

The fact that more than 4 big 10 teams are getting in the hoops tourney is sad. I am working on a bet with a couple big 10 apologists for the tourney but so far they have been haggling a little too much. Lunardi had 8 big 10 teams getting in when we started discussing the bet. At that point I gave them a number of 3.5 as an over under on how many advance past round one and a number of 6.5 for total big ten wins in the dance, but we will see how many they actually get in.

The fact that more than 4 big 10 teams are getting in the hoops tourney is sad. I am working on a bet with a couple big 10 apologists for the tourney but so far they have been haggling a little too much. Lunardi had 8 big 10 teams getting in when we started discussing the bet. At that point I gave them a number of 3.5 as an over under on how many advance past round one and a number of 6.5 for total big ten wins in the dance, but we will see how many they actually get in.

7 minimum:

Michigan State, Illinois, Purude...all locks, duh

Ohio State locked up a bid last night

There's 4

Now you have to say 3 that are in right now are: Minnesota, Michigan, Penn State

Minnesota: Beat NU on Thursday and move them up to lock status. No doubt in my mind.

Michigan: Beat Iowa and they'll move to lock status

Penn State: I think PSU needs to beat Indiana, and then Purdue.

Out and don't talk about them unless they win 2 or 3 games in the BTT: Northwestern

Golfing: Iowa and Indiana

See the problem is, it's not based on bids by conference. If 11 Big 10 teams were legitimate tourney teams, they'd pick 11. Obviously that would never happen, but its based on each team, not confernece affiliation.

You have to realize that the bubble teams have been getting pumped lately, whereas the Big 10 has a super high SOS and the highest conference RPI (actually might be 2nd now after the Duke/UNC game)

I think 7 is a VERY SAFE number. I think 2 of those 3 teams that are in "right now" will actually be in come tourney time, so 6 is feasible as well. If any of those teams lose in the first round, they are out.

EDIT:

MSU advances to the Elite 8, Maybe F4. Healthy and very talented

Purdue also wins a game or two, no doubt in my mind. Hummel should be healthy and ready to play. They are a solid team and will beat up on a 10 or 11 seed.

Illinois will also be seeded highly and beat up on a poor opponent. They play great D, but I don't see them as a threat to advance real far.

Ohio State...one and done, I think they suck

Minnesota....all depends on the matchup, but I think we win one, maybe 2 games at most.

Michigan...wild card, I could see them making a deep run. they've beaten some top teams, and lost to some terrible ones. so streaky.

PSU....sucks

I'd say 5 teams from the Big 10 win their first game.

7 minimum:

There's 4

Now you have to say 3 that are in right now are: Minnesota, Michigan, Penn State

Minnesota: Beat NU on Thursday and move them up to lock status. No doubt in my mind.

Out and don't talk about them unless they win 2 or 3 games in the BTT: Northwestern

See the problem is, it's not based on bids by conference. If 11 Big 10 teams were legitimate tourney teams, they'd pick 11. Obviously that would never happen, but its based on each team, not confernece affiliation.

You have to realize that the bubble teams have been getting pumped lately, whereas the Big 10 has a super high SOS and the highest conference RPI (actually might be 2nd now after the Duke/UNC game)

I think 7 is a VERY SAFE number. I think 2 of those 3 teams that are in "right now" will actually be in come tourney time, so 6 is feasible as well. If any of those teams lose in the first round, they are out.

EDIT:

Purdue also wins a game or two, no doubt in my mind. Hummel should be healthy and ready to play. They are a solid team and will beat up on a 10 or 11 seed.

Illinois will also be seeded highly and beat up on a poor opponent. They play great D, but I don't see them as a threat to advance real far.

Minnesota....all depends on the matchup, but I think we win one, maybe 2 games at most.

Michigan...wild card, I could see them making a deep run. they've beaten some top teams, and lost to some terrible ones. so streaky.

PSU....sucks

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?showforum=16

This is way too much bouncy ball talk on a hockey forum. :whistling:

yeah no sh$#, go to the bball forum for this stuff and also the big 10 blows in basketball.

back to hockey and the pairwise PLEASE and as much as i like college bball it doenst belong here one bit so get it the frik out of here now :blush:

Minnesota has a basketball team? :whistling: That being the case please have them schedule Carleton University in Ottawa Canada for next seasons exhibition schedule as I would love nothing better than to watch them lose. If you don't think they would check out Carleton's exhibition schedule against DI schools from this past season, with their only loss being a one pointer to the Kansas Jayhawks.

7 minimum:

There's 4

EDIT:

PSU....sucks

obviously you have mistaken me and others here as someone who gives a sh*t about the gophs - let alone your hyped up bb team

oh btw - nice call by the coach - calling time out 1/4 second before the tying shot was made with 5 seconds left - too bad

I'm not sure Kane is as much overrated as somewhat overhyped for aspects of his game that just aren't a part of it.

I don't see Kane as anything but a scorer really. He's less of a defensive liability than Ovechkin or Malkin but not quite as gifted a scorer.

He's not going to wow people like Ovechkin nor is he going to have the media drooling over him like Crosby.

The two guys you mentioned only come around once in a generation.

Now, out of curiousity, I don't follow the NHL very closely, but if Kane wasn't the #1 pick on 2007 who do you think should have been now that we've had a season and a half to evaluate the 2007 crop?

that's just it there is no wow factor for as much as he was hyped coming in and being a number pick there isn't that wow factor-maybe I'm excpecting being a scoring forward for him to have an impact like the Kid or Ovechkin and that there isn't.

that's just it there is no wow factor for as much as he was hyped coming in and being a number pick there isn't that wow factor-maybe I'm excpecting being a scoring forward for him to have an impact like the Kid or Ovechkin and that there isn't.

i hear you but its a very hard to comapare or think anyone will ever come and be crosby or ovechkin as they are on their own planet with regards to skills overall. they just are. still very early in mr kanes career and i personally think he and jon will have theor names on that cup in the next 4 years. i am now a hawks fan due to jon obviously but enjoy watching that team. hope they make a decent run!

The two guys you mentioned only come around once in a generation.

Now, out of curiousity, I don't follow the NHL very closely, but if Kane wasn't the #1 pick on 2007 who do you think should have been now that we've had a season and a half to evaluate the 2007 crop?

the 2007 crop just isn't that flashy at this point in time, so to answer your question Kane should have been the pick but he is a very weak one at that.

the 2007 crop just isn't that flashy at this point in time, so to answer your question Kane should have been the pick but he is a very weak one at that.

it wasn't flashy because there was no crosby or ovechkin (that we got to see anyway). i think if the nhl had an agreement with the russian league... cherepanov would have gone top three, and probably would have been the best of the crop. we'll have to see on vanreimsdyk and turris, but like you guys said, kane was the right pick from what we have seen so far. there were some solid dmen that year too... alzner and hickey, and mcdounagh and cole who are still in college.

Back on topic. I am extremely glad the season isn't ending today, because it would have us playing Yale on their home rink with BU playing Bemidji in the other game...not an idyllic regional.

Yale is the host of the East regional but the Arena at Harbor Yard is not their home rink; it's the home of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (Islanders AHL affiliate). The Gophers are the only hosts with their home rink as the venue.

I didn't know that...thanks for the update. The host team still has to abide by seeding rules for the last line change, etc. do they not?

I'm pretty sure they do. The last time I went to a regional where the host team was actually in action was that BU - UND game in '05. BU was the host, but the Sioux were the higher seed and hence the home team.

I'm pretty sure they do. The last time I went to a regional where the host team was actually in action was that BU - UND game in '05. BU was the host, but the Sioux were the higher seed and hence the home team.

yes ,no matter the host the higher seed gets last shift change.

Here's a take on the current bracketology courtesy of Tim Rosenthal at insidehockey.com

East (Bridgeport, CT)

#1 Boston University vs. #16 Bemidji State

#6 Vermont vs. #9 Yale

Midwest (Grand Rapids, MI)

#2 Notre Dame vs. #15 Air Force

#8 North Dakota vs. #11 Miami

West (Minneapolis)

#3 Michigan vs. #13 Minnesota

#5 Northeastern vs. #12 Princeton

Northeast (Manchester, NH)

#4 Denver vs. #14 Ohio State

#7 New Hampshire vs. #10 Cornell

INCH also has a new 4 x 4 that takes a dig at the "State of Hockey"

Here's a take on the current bracketology courtesy of Tim Rosenthal at insidehockey.com

East (Bridgeport, CT)

#1 Boston University vs. #16 Bemidji State

#6 Vermont vs. #9 Yale

Midwest (Grand Rapids, MI)

#2 Notre Dame vs. #15 Air Force

#8 North Dakota vs. #11 Miami

West (Minneapolis)

#3 Michigan vs. #13 Minnesota

#5 Northeastern vs. #12 Princeton

Northeast (Manchester, NH)

#4 Denver vs. #14 Ohio State

#7 New Hampshire vs. #10 Cornell