SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Robbie is 30 or 31 years old....big difference. I'm not saying Mario should hang out in NA for the next 5-7 year...I'm saying give it 1-3 years before going overseas. I have buddies who did the same thing....you wait 3-4 years before going over there (granted my buddies had a little more hockey talent than Mario though).

Robbie just turned 30. Mario will turn 25 in June.

Per Mike Russo (Star Tribune), the MN Wild traded Chay Genoway to the Washington Capitals

This actually makes me quite happy because I don't think the Wild gave him much of a chance. By no means do I expect him to be an NHL regular, but I would have liked to have seen him play a few more games with the big club to see what he can do.

I think that is a good move for Genoway. MN has too much invested in their D to give a free agent a real shot, which makes sense. I thought Chay has looked very good in the games he has played in the NHL, so hopefully he gets a shot to play more in Washington.

Also, the Wild has traded former University of North Dakota defenseman Chay Genoway to the Washington Capitals for a conditional 2014 seventh-rounder. He will report to Hershey. After the Brett Clark signing yesterday, this puts the Wild back to 48 of a maximum 50 contracts. This allows the Wild more flexibility to either sign college free agents maybe or add players at the trade deadline.

Fletcher said the Wild had 10 defensemen in Houston, meaning four healthy scratches a night. This gives Genoway a chance to move on.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/Russos_Rants.html

Chay got away with his size in the college game...I just can't see him getting away with it long-term in the NHL. If I were a GM, I'd either consider acquiring him as a forward or not at all, personally.

I like Chay, but he's just not an NHL type player. To get a 7th round pick for an undrafted guy like Genoway is a pretty fair deal for MN.

Chay got away with his size in the college game...I just can't see him getting away with it long-term in the NHL. If I were a GM, I'd either consider acquiring him as a forward or not at all, personally.

I like Chay, but he's just not an NHL type player. To get a 7th round pick for an undrafted guy like Genoway is a pretty fair deal for MN.

A throw away pick is a fair deal? A baby step above nothing. Off to Europe in a year for Chay and nice paychecks. He would be stellar playing in Europe.

A throw away pick is a fair deal? A baby step above nothing. Off to Europe in a year for Chay and nice paychecks. He would be stellar playing in Europe.

A 7th round pick is a 7th round pick. Yeah, you're not getting elite talent necessarily, but why even have a 7th round of the draft if you get nothing from it? What were the Wild supposed to get for a guy like him?

A 7th round pick is a 7th round pick. Yeah, you're not getting elite talent necessarily, but why even have a 7th round of the draft if you get nothing from it? What were the Wild supposed to get for a guy like him?

Evidently exactly what he was worth. I wonder who will finish paying his salary the rest of the season and next? A conditional 7th round pick. Which really means the Wild did not want him and Washington got him for free.

One never knows on those late round picks, Henrik Zetterberg was taken in the 7th round, 210th overall pick, and that has worked out well for Detroit. Mind you, not the norm by far, but hidden gems are out there.

Which is true considering how many 1st rounders have bombed over the years. You never can say never.

Per Mike Russo (Star Tribune), the MN Wild traded Chay Genoway to the Washington Capitals

This actually makes me quite happy because I don't think the Wild gave him much of a chance. By no means do I expect him to be an NHL regular, but I would have liked to have seen him play a few more games with the big club to see what he can do.

Best news possible for Chay. Get on a team that will give you a fricken chance. Wish that would've been the wild.

Best news possible for Chay. Get on a team that will give you a fricken chance. Wish that would've been the wild.

Just never really fit with the Wild, they pretty much already had what he can do. Good for him to get a fresh start and hopefully a chance to get up with the Caps, not real sure on their D situation and how he fits but I would guess better than he did with the Wild.

• 3 weeks later...

One never knows on those late round picks, Henrik Zetterberg was taken in the 7th round, 210th overall pick, and that has worked out well for Detroit. Mind you, not the norm by far, but hidden gems are out there.

Datsyuk was picked 171st...Detroit always finds late-round gems...